Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
dissapointments
ellichka
December 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have to say, I LOVE houzz, beutiful inspirations, gorgeous rooms, but when looking at the product, a BIG dissapointment. The majority of (SMART) people who handle finances well, will NOT spend 3000$ on a lamp. I would love to see more gorgeous rooms filled with sensibly priced items. So please, designers, and vendors, present reasonably prices items, because I am sure that 95% of people on this website cannot afford a single thing fearured here.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michigammemom
ellichka, There are some pricey furnishings in many designer homes but I am always surprised when professionals reveal that they also use pieces from IKEA, Homegoods, West Elm etc. If you admire a $3000 lamp, chances are you can find an affordable option that approximates the look.
8 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 4:40AM
charleee
I'm an avid DIYer. If I like something and can't afford it, I can usually find a way to make it. The Houzz pics are great for inspiration.
8 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 5:16AM
creeser
I agree with both of the above comments. There's a show on HGTV called The High Low Project where the designer takes a high end room and puts together a similar room on a much smaller budget. That's how I look at a lot of these lovely rooms on houzz. Sort of a challenge to find the expensive thing I like so much in a low dollar version.
6 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 6:11AM
Aggie Purvinska
I started this blog once, where I am approximating expensive interiors with inexpensive substitutes, but then kind of abandoned it since I think it is in bad taste. But, enjoy!:)
www.thislooksexpensive.com
2 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 6:12AM
michigammemom
Cool blog Aggie Designs.
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 6:18AM
reginacpa
AggieDesigns....are you kidding? In bad taste, how? That blog is BRILLIANT. In this day and age of couponing and failing economies, I think it is very appropriate. My decorator knows that I don't let other people spend my money...if I can get a look for less, I do. And, I don't purchase things just for labels well, not always :-)...... If you ever take it back up, I would defnitely subscribe and tell ALL my friends about it. You should use HOUZZ as a sounding board for your blog.
2 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 6:20AM
creeser
Aggie, same question as regina... Why in bad taste? Again, as regina and the original post mentioned, we can't all afford the high end pieces and getting 'the look for less' is what most people would love to do. Please continue with your blog!
1 Like   December 7, 2012 at 6:25AM
charleee
Aggie, seriously? It's brilliant!
3 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 6:36AM
Aggie Purvinska
Thank you guys, I really appreciate your positive feedback! I thought it was in bad taste, because it was taking a designers very hard work (design is hard work, even though it is also fun), and devaluing it, and my being a designer, it's undermining my own opportunity at making a living as a custom designer who uses skilled American Labor. I don't imagine much of this stuff on amazon or overstock is made in USA.

Am I over thinking this?

It was a lot of fun to do these posts, if anyone has a design photo they want analyzed, please let me know, I'll make a post of it. Thank you for your support and ideas!
3 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 11:38AM
creeser
Aggie, I do think you were overthinking, but in a kind and respectful way. Everyone that can afford the high end design will still get the high end pieces. I don't think you take anything away from their hard work by analyzing and offering up more budget friendly options. What's the old saying that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? All you're doing is saying their work if fabulous.
1 Like   December 7, 2012 at 11:43AM
charleee
Aggie, there have been several HGTV shows doing exactly this, It's not in bad taste at all. I don't know if you saw the post the other day about copying a designer room, they had all right the pieces but not to scale so it threw the room off. You are over thinking it, it's wonderful and you should continue it. In fact, I'm going to bookmark it so I'm counting on you to continue it!
1 Like   December 7, 2012 at 11:43AM
judianna20
Absolutely, Aggie, keep doing it! Have you looked at "look4less"? http://www.decorpad.com

It is not as if you would be standing on the street corner selling knock-off Rolex watches. :>)
2 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 11:43AM
charleee
judyg, your link isn't found.
2 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 11:45AM
creeser
Judyg, what do you know about selling knock-off Rolexes? Remember, what you say can and will be used against you.
4 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 11:48AM
judianna20
Thanks, olldbobbi. Just go to decorpad and you will see the look4less link.
1 Like   December 7, 2012 at 11:48AM
creeser
I've had this spot bookmarked. She gives tutorials on how to make some of the 'in style' looks. http://thehuntedinterior.blogspot.com/
1 Like   December 7, 2012 at 11:50AM
judianna20
Do you know you can spot one immediately? The minute hand on the real Rolex "sweeps" and the phoney doesn't as it is battery driven. Easier to get away with are the CZ diamond studs!!! hehehe.
3 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 11:53AM
charleee
And.....you know this, how???
3 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 11:55AM
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Ellichka! As a newer vendor to Houzz, we are trying very hard to listen to what people say regarding pricing, product preference and selection, and you are not alone in your frustration with the high cost of many things found here. As we add more products to our Houzz catalog, we will be sure to keep budget-friendly items in mind. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and we hope you have a great weekend!
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 12:36PM
decoenthusiaste
I've often thought when posting products for Dilemma'd people, "Wonder if other Houzzers think I'm cheap or a total amateur because I post the least expensive items I can find under Products." Good to know you guys and gals probably don't think that. Go back to the blog, Aggie
7 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 1:59PM
designideas4me
It does appear from the pictures that some people here have lots of money and other have very little to work with..thats life. I wish I had more.
4 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 2:25PM
decoenthusiaste
Aggie - love your blog and you invited people to post their additions to it. Would love to see Houzzers take up your challenge! Would be nice to see prices and sources too.
4 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 2:32PM
Darzy
I know what you mean decoenthusiaste.. I too suggest the budget items sometimes and wonder how it appears. Hey.."frugal is the new "cool". I think HOUZZ is doing the right thing. I want to see beautiful things put together. But, it could be fun to see a section called "Room Design on Quarter". $2,500.
4 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 2:35PM
charleee
I figure that the majority of people who ask for advice here are on a tight budget. If they weren't they'd have a designer already. Any maybe "frugal" is politically correct for what I am - "cheap" !!!!
4 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 2:36PM
carolannr
I'm sorry but taste doesn't come because of the name of a designer on the item. Its subjective and while I agree, it may denigrate someone's hard work to try to find a substitute that looks just like it, isn't that showing iniative to adapt ideas to our own standards and to fit our own situations. I think lots of Houzzers think for themselves.
2 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 2:41PM
Darzy
Hey Aggie. Your blog is great. Keep it up! You can even get some "guest bloggers" to help you. With your editor approval, of course!
3 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 2:52PM
Aggie Purvinska
I would love guest bloggers! Gotta see how to set it up, it's in wordpress. Thank you so much! I agree with the prices and sources idea, it has links, but maybe it doesn't quite show how inexpensive these picks are. I'll have to see how to make that better. Might as well have the prices on it.. Thanks again!!!
1 Like   December 7, 2012 at 6:44PM
judianna20
Hey, olldbobbi, not frugal, not cheap, we are just smart, educated shoppers on a budget with good design as our goal. :>)
2 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 6:59PM
Aja Mazin
I love saving money!
2 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 7:12PM
Aja Mazin
creeser,

"Everyone that can afford the high end design will still get the high end pieces. " is simply not true.
2 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 7:17PM
Darzy
PS I had a fake rolex 20 years ago. I think it got stolen. : )
2 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 7:21PM
cillisa
Aggie: I really like the blog. It sort of follows the questions I ask myself when something expensive catches my eye: Could I buy it somewhere else? Could I make it myself?
More than supporting foreign-manufactured goods, I think the blog supports the creativity of DIY and even local businesses that could have similar products to the ones featured. The bottom line: it doesn't have to be "name-brand" to be good. :)
2 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 7:31PM
creeser
Aja, I understand what you're saying. There are some that will go for more budget friendly options, but those that desire the high end items (only) and can afford high end will still buy high end, might be a better way of phrasing it.
5 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 3:26AM
bdennison
Aggie - Just checked out your blog. Good job. I hope you decide to continue so we can enjoy it on a regular basis. I would love to see a staged room with the selected items. One of those great photoshp people out there could probably do it.
5 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 4:02AM
reginacpa
My designer gave me his ideas on turning my home office into. Library....when I replaced his suggested bookcases that were $10k with $99 bookcases from Target I assembled myself.....he said "Good God, I'm getting those myself, they look fantastic." He know I'm frugal and we work well together....he makes a great hourly wage and it stretches his imagination when I send him to Fred's Discount Pharmacy for lamps...LOL
4 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 6:04AM
feeny
I love mixing the occasional expensive "splurges" with beautiful Craigslist, antique, thrift, or consignment store finds, and well designed, but cheaper, products from Overstock, IKEA, or Target. To me there is much greater pleasure and pride in finding gorgeous pieces in unexpected places.
7 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 7:18AM
Darzy
Yes feeny! I agree to splurge on a particular piece that simply cannot be "duplicated" and mix with "finds" can create a high end look. For instance, if you're painting kitchen cabinets (or inexpensive cabinets) or furniture...splurge on the hardware and faucet and it will look great -with the nice jewelry.
1 Like   December 8, 2012 at 10:57AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Please follow me and you will see a Designer that understands working on a budget. I work within my clients budgets and choose things with this in mind. I may choose a great piece but I then watch the rest of the budget very closely. One great item can make everything look great. As they say "A rising tide lifts all boats".
0 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
Need help to finish my dining room
I would like some advise on new lightning, window treatments,...
New apt...please help with living room design
Just moved into new apt and buying furniture piece...
Help!! Brick fireplace with ugly wood paneling!
What on earth can we do to hide this hideous wood paneling...
Arlene - My sons bedroom - What is it missing?
I feel as it something is missing to complete the room....
How to style the dresser-credenza in master bedroom?
We needed a quick dresser solution in our master bedroom,...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.