Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Glass Bathroom shower wall/door - minimum requirement
suzyscuderi
December 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are remodeling our small master bathroom, the new shower will be 60 inches wide and approx 40 inches deep. The showerhead is mounted on one side. I am interested in installing just a glass wall instead of a whole wall and door combo, but I do not know the rules for how wide the wall should be in order to prevent the water from spraying out. Is there a rule of thumb on this that anyone knows of, or any suggestions would be appreciated~!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Anta Design Studio
which side has shower" ? I am assuming 40" wide wall.
if so, you are probably planing to install glass wall parallel to longer 60" side. It is hard to imagine that water will not splash, but I would suggest to have at least 30" wide wall.
I do not know your exact layout, but to be honest, it is very inconvenient when shower is not easily accessible from outside of shower, for example with conventional door, you can open door operate water the way you want and step inside afterwards. if you install fixed wall in near proximity of shower, it will be hard not to get wet before you control water.

also, to avoid water splashes on floor consider to use long trough drain on full length of open side to catch a water: http://www.calfaucets.com/category/luxury-drains/ceraline/edge
December 6, 2012 at 11:49PM   
suzyscuderi
Oh my! thank you for pointing that out to me ~ I didn't even think of that. I saw it in a photo, and thought how neat it looked. I will go with the shower door option ~ and have a big cup of coffee before I tackle any more design ideas!
December 7, 2012 at 4:05PM   
PRO
Anta Design Studio
no problem! happy to help
December 7, 2012 at 10:01PM   
orangecamera
if you want only about 1/2 the "wall" glassed in, and the other part open, can you put the glass on a slider, so you can reach in and adjust the water, and then slide the wall back?
December 7, 2012 at 10:06PM   
hollyhomeowner
wow that's pretty clever...and economical too!
December 7, 2012 at 11:11PM