Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help for my living room
moniyork
December 7, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I bought a piece of furniture and now that I have it at home it looks too dark, so before returning it to the store I'd like to know if this colors match or not or what ideas can you give me. Do you think is too much contrast with the other pieces or not. Should I return it or what should I do. Please give me some ideas because I have no idea about decorating. I am attaching photos. Thanks.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Designing Richmond
A nice sized rug would do the area well - help with noise, and soften the area.
The darker unit is nice... not so matchy matchy...
December 7, 2012 at 9:49AM   
moniyork
thanks for your comments. It may be better if I return it and get something else.
December 7, 2012 at 9:57AM   
Aja Mazin
IF YOU ARE HAVING DOUBTS, RETURN IT.
December 7, 2012 at 10:21AM     
groveraxle
I think it looks great with your floor. You shouldn't try to match the floor anyway. It will be boring and make your furniture disappear.
December 7, 2012 at 10:46AM     
mpoulsom
Nice piece of furniture....looks fine to me, but we have no idea what the rest of the room or your furnishings look like. If you don't like it, return it for sure. It's probably not something that will grow on you.
December 7, 2012 at 10:58AM     
decoenthusiaste
Contrast is good. I don't think you have a problem unless you are unhappy with the style of the piece.
December 7, 2012 at 11:05AM     
moniyork
Thanks for your comment. I know it shouldn't match the floor but, what about the coffee table.
December 7, 2012 at 11:22AM   
moniyork
this is what my livingroom looks like. I do like the piece of furniture. My only concern is the contrast, with the rest of the furniture.
December 7, 2012 at 11:28AM   
moniyork
Thank you all for your comments. mpoulson I am still in the process of decorating my living-room, however the furniture I have is lighter than the media console I like light color furniture, but I like this piece and I bought it because I thought the contrast wouldn't be too much.
December 7, 2012 at 11:36AM   
collettec
I like a mix of different wood tones, however here you have the wood floor, wood chairs and what appears to be knotty wood pine table all in close proximity in various wood shades. I think it might work to stay with a lighter color wood to go with the other existing shades. This looks too dark to me in relation to the other pieces.
December 7, 2012 at 12:14PM   
Elyn's Library
It looks like a nice piece of storage furniture. And the color is very close to the baskets in your coffee table and to the basket next to it. And you say you like the piece. So, if you have time, you might want to live with it for an extra day or two.

Are you planning to put something on top of or above it - tv, mirror, art, ???

I think part of the reason it feels out-of-sync is the round back, light colored chairs against the adjoining wall. You'll note that the dark, square, mod-ish stool looks just fine.

And there are several "styles" going on which also doesn't help.

If the original furniture in the room are pieces you've had for awhile and you are replacing or upgrading them, it looks like you may be starting to grow into a newer style. The room looks like it is a transitional "work in progress".

Personally, I like the storage piece. I think it is a lovely color and form and a forgiving combination of both visible and closed storage.
December 7, 2012 at 12:39PM   
mpoulsom
If you can afford to buy a large rug to break this all up, it would look totally different I'm sure. I don't think the contrast is bad, but as someone mentioned above, you have a lot of wood in the area. When you add fabric and textiles it changes the look completely. Just having a large area rug underneath the coffee table and out towards the new piece of furniture would look great. Would you consider maybe painting your wooden chairs a for another color contrast?
December 7, 2012 at 12:42PM     
Aja Mazin
New to Houzz?
December 7, 2012 at 12:50PM   
moniyork
Thanks again to every one!
Elyn's Library, I am planning to put a tv set if I keep it. I bought it for the reasons you mentioned and regarding and it is true this is a work in process and I haven't decided yet what is the style I am going to go with. I like rustic and antique furniture specially natural wood colors.
December 7, 2012 at 12:51PM   
maureenindk
I like your new piece a lot. I would consider painting the chairs or the coffee table to break up all the wood.
December 7, 2012 at 2:27PM   
moniyork
Aja Mazin, yes I am new to Houzz and I am so glad I am in it. Everybody's ideas are great.
mpoulson thanks for your input. I like the idea of the rug, textile and fabric suggestion because I like my new piece of furniture.
maureenindk I also like the idea of painting the coffee table. I thought about it before too, probably just painting the top of it? or is it better the whole piece?
December 7, 2012 at 2:56PM   
SweetDreen
Your new piece is very nice.
December 7, 2012 at 3:40PM   
collettec
If you like the piece and want to keep it I would definitely keep it. I think the coffee table painted or stained to match the new piece would be a good idea. I would try to have it closer to the color of the new cabinet. Maybe start with the top, see how you like it and go from there.
December 7, 2012 at 3:44PM   
jagood
Looking at the items on and in the coffee table, the light wood tone of side chairs, and the rug you have in front of the couch - those seem to be trending toward a cottage look. Have you considered purchasing an off-white, slightly distressed looking media/storage/shelf cabinet that is somewhat larger than the current one, perhaps with a hutch or storage spaces surrounding the TV (sides and above) so the TV becomes less the focal point and you can play with accessories on it (including the photos you have on the coffee table) and have additional storage space? Some white painted units also combine light toned stained wood in the piece, which would tie in with your other furniture. Combined with an area rug that starts uder the couch feet and continues to almost under the media cabinet, it would really make the room cozy.
December 7, 2012 at 4:13PM   
moniyork
jagood thanks for your suggestion, my only concern with getting something with those features that you describe is that having something like that would make the apartment to look busy.
December 7, 2012 at 5:43PM   
rebk4
Have you thought about painting the room with a latte color? I think it would warm up the room. Painting the coffee table is a good idea, but what color?
December 7, 2012 at 6:07PM   
moniyork
I think I can paint it with a color similar to the new piece of furniture
December 7, 2012 at 6:14PM   
jagood
You may be right about mixing white with light wood tones in your apartment - it may appear too unmatched to feel comfortable, and of course, it may not be a look that you like since I was just guessing based on the objects I saw in the room. But in case we aren't visualizing the same type of storage unit, here is a link to a unit that looks pretty much like what I had in mind. It is white, but I'm pretty sure you could also find one similar to it in a wood tone that you like and probably less expensive. http://www.pbteen.com/products/8752495/?catalogId=85&bnrid=3718503&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Furniture&cm_pla=Media_Storage&cm_ite=Beadboard_Media_Set_White&adtype=pla

By organizing the items that you want to display into a more cohesive design in a unit like this, you can bring focus and importance to items by grouping them, instead of placing them all about the room on the surface of tables, etc, especially small items that tend to get lost when the room is viewed overall. It will actually make a room look less "busy" and less cluttered, and make the TV screen fade more into the background when it's not being used. And it is so much easier to keep a home neat when we have a place to store things.

By the way, I really like the storage in your coffee table, and think it looks very nice with the baskets you placed there. I have seen similar ones advertised as "book lovers" coffee tables because so many books and magazines can be stored in the shelves. Your floor is also beautiful.
December 7, 2012 at 6:18PM   
moniyork
Thanks jagood for the website. It's a good idea too.
Rebk4, painting the livingroom sounds like a good idea.
December 7, 2012 at 6:48PM   
Aja Mazin
Pillows.

It needs pillows.
December 7, 2012 at 7:20PM   
lucindalane
Hey, I think the new piece is very pretty. I would try and stain the chairs the same color as the new unit, and I would paint the coffee table-if its not real wood you might have to find some kind of paint that would work. However, I wouldn't paint the coffee table until I knew what other colors in the room were going to be for sure. Your new unit could be your inspiration piece.
December 7, 2012 at 7:59PM   
homedecorjunkie
The new piece is great, the 2 wood chairs need to go in a kitchen, not a living room. Need to see the couch better to give you an idea of what to purchase. I agree the coffee table needs to be darker like the new piece and then place a big rug underneath. Add a silk tree, ficus tree, artificial tree in the corner to the right of the new piece. Check on Craigslist you can find great trees for 1/2 retail. Then take more pictures so we can get a better idea of the space. Wish I could be there to help - love this stuff!
December 7, 2012 at 8:11PM   
moniyork
homedecorjunkie thanks for complimenting my new piece. I love it too. You're right those chairs are not suppose to be in the livingroom. i am going to move them to the small dinningroom area. I am going to post pictures of my sofa probably tomorrow so you can have a better idea of my space. I love the passion that you have for decorating. I hope you can continue helping me with your great ideas.
December 7, 2012 at 8:35PM   
homedecorjunkie
Absolutely,would be happy too!
December 7, 2012 at 8:43PM   
moniyork
Thanks homedecojunkie. here are the other pictures
December 7, 2012 at 9:18PM   
PRO
karen paul interiors
No, your new unit does not work with what you have. It's a very red cherry and is attempting to be more traditional than what you have. I am all for mixing and matching but in this particular instance, this new piece does not work. You might want to try to find something that is more casual. I don't find your unit formal but it does not have the very casual ambiance of what is already in the room.
December 7, 2012 at 9:41PM     
greenthumb2
I think what happened is that you put a piece in that you really like and the older stuff doesn't make it look good. I'd rather see you sand, wipe and paint the windsor chairs a darker color. Keep the new piece and give it a little lamp on there with a piece of art above it. I will give you a link to help you visualize what my thoughts.
December 7, 2012 at 11:32PM   
Lenore Rauch
I love the new unit and would love to see you bring in more warmth and softness to the wall decor, mood lighting, and refinishing the windsor chairs as mentioned above. I'd like to see a simple and tasteful statement on the coffee table, and colorful accents brought in by way of pillows on the sofa and a classic grouping of vases with tasteful arrangements on your new unit.
December 8, 2012 at 12:24AM   
rebk4
After seeing the other pictures, I still think a medium tone latte paint would help bring things together. The trim needs to be painted white. If you have never painted a room, it can seem daunting, but it is very rewarding. You can finish in a week-end. If the curtains are the color you want as your accent color, get a couple pillows for the couch. Clear surfaces of small items. Try a tray on the coffee table for remote and something that is in the accent color. Add somethings ( medium to large) to your bookcase and your dining table(remove the table cloth). Maybe paint the legs of your dining table black. That can be done while watching a couple TV show one night. Remove the small rug. If possible get a sissal (sp?) with the banding in your accent color. Follow through in your kitchen. Keep small items to a min. and use the baskets to hide clutter. I think the new piece is going to be what you want. Things don't have to match, just flow. Good luck and post whatever it is that you decide to do.
December 8, 2012 at 6:40AM   
maureenindk
Agree with rebk4. Your new piece looks rich and substantial while the coffee table and bookcase look more transitional. I think it would be a shame to get rid of the beautiful piece just because they all don't match. Paint the coffee table (whole thing) and bookcase, get a large area rug (Ikea has a very nice neutral jute rug that is not too expensive), paint those walls and hang something big on that big empty wall. Since everything else is neutral, look at your drapes to find a color that coordinates for the wall and bookshelves. Am not sure what is going on with those little pictures arranged on your coffee table but think they would be better grouped on the bookshelf.
December 8, 2012 at 7:21AM   
maureenindk
Also, there doesn't seem to be any lighting in that room except for the lights in the ceiling fan (which I would never actually use.) You need at least a couple of lamps so that it feels cozy. Don't know where you are but Home Goods and World Market here in the US are good sources for things like that if you are trying to stay within a budget.
December 8, 2012 at 7:27AM   
homedecorjunkie
Please take 2 more photos from standing in the doorway next to the new piece. The first facing straight and then one to the left towards the dining room, just can't tell how big the room is. Thx!
December 8, 2012 at 7:43AM   
fabvikki BCreative
The media console is beautiful. You look like you are just starting to decorate. Take your time and look around before you purchase. If you don't love an item return it. You will get a lot of advice here but ultimately it's your home and it should reflect your taste not others. You want it to feel warm and welcoming. If you are on a tight budget and don't mind DIY paint the walls a cooler color as you have a lot of warm wood and add a pop of color to the wood chairs.
December 8, 2012 at 7:59AM   
homedecorjunkie
Yes painting would be great but if you will have to paint again before you move lets start with the other stuff and just maybe the white walls will be just fine. The table and bookcase need to be darkened, find this, it is very easy to use on wood (table and bookshelf) if they are not wood then you will need to paint them. Assuming they are wood, this is an easy way to add color, select the color you thinks looks closest to the new piece.
http://www.briwax.com/briwaxpp.htm
December 8, 2012 at 8:23AM   
homedecorjunkie
I'm thinking the teak color. Also do not use this on your dining room chairs, this wax works well on furniture that you do not sit on, the color could rub off on clothes.
December 8, 2012 at 8:26AM   
collettec
I think you have a mix of both colors and styles that don't work together well. All the other wood pieces, the shelving, table and chairs and coffee table have a light wood kind of rustic, country cottage look. White painted wood would work well with that. The drapes are not as country or rustic and the new cabinet doesn't work with the existing wood tones. What I would do is really think about how you want the overall look of the room to be. You noted you like rustic I would also check country cottage styles to see if you like that. Start looking through this site and other sources on the internet and in magazines. But I would work to have a more cohesive look. You may like an individual piece, but what matters is how the whole room looks. If it doesn't look good with existing pieces, you don't see it by itself, just how it doesn't work with everything else. If you're working for another look and buying pieces at a time, I would think first about how you want the room to look overall, then you can have in mind what you want before shopping. Think if you keep the new cabinet, it would help to paint and/or stain both the coffee table and the dining table as both conflict with the new cabinet.
December 8, 2012 at 8:30AM   
jagood
I agree with emzc. By the way, what color are your walls and woodwork? On my computer monitor they look blue-gray, and that is one reason I zoomed in on the country cottage feel and suggested a white unit. Does the couch also have blue in it? I saw some furniture similar to your new cabinet at Costco and also really liked it, but alas, it doesn't go with anything in my house either.
December 8, 2012 at 10:46AM   
Elyn's Library
Lots of good advice above.

After seeing some of the other pictures, it does look like you are going in a new direction - more simple straight lines and richer, darker tones (your drapes go very nicely with the new piece) sort of a Mission-ish or similar simple, pleasing style.

Your previous style looks like it was much lighter colors, softer curves, a younger-looking style. Furniture may have been acquired during university / first apartment(s) away from home.

I think you said you are renting and have been told it is OK to paint? Several people have suggested that you paint the walls a latte, taupe, something in that tone. Easy to start by going to good paint store like Benjamin Moore, or even one of the big box store paint departments and start gathering LOTS of paint samples in that range. You will be surprised (and maybe terrified) at how many shades of "taupe" or "latte" that are out there. Don't worry, while you are at the paint stores, pick up a cheap roll of painters tape (the blue stuff) and simply tape a row or two (or three or four) right up on the wall above your new chest. As you watch the way colors seem to change during morning, daylight, afternoon and evening hours, take down the samples you don't like.

Yes it will take awhile. When you are down to a half dozen color choices or so, come back and ask here - you'll get lots of responses! And you may want to plan to paint only the wall behind the new cabinet at first.

A suggestion to protect the top of the new piece while you are slowly re-creating your space - do you have something like a TAP Plastics or similar store in your area? http://www.tapplastics.com/
Simply measure the top of your piece, and take the measurements in to TAP and have them cut you a piece of acrylic that is 3/32" or 1/8" thick by whatever dimensions. They aren't usually terribly expensive and you won't have a panic attack if somebody sets a coffee cup down on the top of that lovely new piece.

I like all the ideas about picking up the drape colors and darker brown of your new piece in pillows for the sofa as well as finding "pieces" (could even be baskets) to tuck in to the bookcase and elsewhere to start to spread the darker tones throughout your living space.

A little bit at a time as budget, space and time allow. Give yourself some time to see what kind of shapes, colors and materials delight you, and then slowly build your home to be a reflection of who you are now. It looks like you have some great ideas - did you notice that most of your baskets are just about the same straight, squared shape and warm darker brown as your new piece? It is a lovely, intriguing, frustrating and delightful process - Enjoy! And keep us posted, it's always fun to help somebody find the "perfect ______________" (you fill in the blank)!
December 8, 2012 at 7:09PM   
moniyork
Once again, thanks everyone for your great ideas and suggestions. i"ll keep you informed about my project. I have to think what style I want to have in my apartment as well as the color that I should paint it to see if the new piece of furniture fit in the style I decide to go with
December 8, 2012 at 8:44PM   
line4line77
Once again, thanks everyone for your great ideas and suggestions. i"ll keep you informed about my project. I have to think what style I want to have in my apartment as well as the color that I should paint it to see if the new piece of furniture fit in the style I decide to go with,We are distributors of all plastic materials, including complete fabrication of plastic parts, components and assembles like Acrylic sheets, polycarbonate sheet and UHMW.
http://www.plastic-craft.com/novus-plastic-polish-buffing-kit.html
January 9, 2013 at 11:49PM   
More Discussions
Can you paint ceramic tile?
I have a quality white subway tile shower that the...
Boring bedroom! HELP!
I like the colours with the yellow and teal but not...
Granite seam MAKING ME ANGRY :( can it be improved?
just had granite installed today and the seam is pretty...
Furniture Finishes and Choosing Sofa For My Living/Dining Room
Dear Houzz friends. I need help choosing finishes...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.