powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What do you think of the color predictions for 2013?
Becky Harris
December 7, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Pantone has picked its Color of the Year for 2013 and it's Emerald. What do you think of all this color-predicting mumbo-jumbo? Take this poll and see if any of the major paint company's picks float your boat.
Pantone's Emerald
Glidden's Indigo Night
Benjamin Moore's Lemon Sorbet
Yolo Colorhouse's palette pick that combines AIR, NOURISH and WATER hues
Sherwin-Williams' Aloe
None of the above; I think color predictions are ridiculous!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
FOCAL POINT STYLING
LOVE it! Love green! After years of using its various shades off & on, very happy to see green for the 2013 Color Of The Year from Pantone. The other two I liked were Glidden's Indigo Nights and Yolo Colorhouse's grey-green: Water.02.
December 7, 2012 at 12:25pm     
Cathy Lara
I voted for indigo night/blue but I'm lovin' Yolo's palette pick! And aloe is a great nail polish color, too :)
December 7, 2012 at 12:26pm     
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
I feel Pantone has a broader reach and takes in all areas of design and fashion including cars, consumer electronics, ads, overall global interests versus a company that is just picking a colour for consumers to paint their walls. I like all the paint colours but they are only a suggestion for walls.
I am excited that we are transitioning from last year's vibrant orange to a rich cool colour that is found throughout nature - plants, water, jewels/stones as well as around the globe.
I just completed a project that incorporates this vibrant green.
December 7, 2012 at 12:39pm     
Becky Harris
great point joanne!
December 7, 2012 at 12:58pm     
designideas4me
I liked the air water nature.
December 7, 2012 at 1:07pm     
PRO
ct design studio
Seems the paint picks each year are a more accurate representation of the types of colors being used in homes. I enjoy Pantone's picks though as it influences home decor and fashion. I enjoy incorporating some fresh colors into my wardrobe and home through accessories that can be layered over more classic/natural palettes. I love the pick of emerald, I would love a sweater that color!
December 7, 2012 at 1:15pm     
charleee
Aloe! Yummy. But only if I can't have my red ochre.
December 7, 2012 at 1:20pm     
decoenthusiaste
Love the neutrals and the fact that it includes purple!
December 7, 2012 at 1:24pm     
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Well like or not (I happen to like) - color predicting mumbo-jumbo is a reality and dictates a broad scope of consumer driven goods! We're seeing these popular go-to colors everywhere! I agree with Joanne regarding colors found in nature/globe - fun to work with and great for interior/exterior design.
December 7, 2012 at 1:46pm     
PRO
P.S. Becky Harris . . . we love your work here in Happy Valley, Oregon!
December 7, 2012 at 1:49pm     
PRO
P.S.S. Chose the YOLO -
December 7, 2012 at 1:51pm     
Becky Harris
Hey by the way, do you all think last year's Tangerine Tango pick came to fruition? Sorry, end of the day on Friday I get a little punny.
December 7, 2012 at 1:54pm     
Becky Harris
Or is it "did Tangerine Tango bear any fruit last year?"
December 7, 2012 at 1:54pm     
designideas4me
I think people who love nature and live in beautiful surroundings( cant spell) are happier and when you bring that into your home its more harmoneous. I dont even know what I just said.. cuz I am sun burned from laying outside..lol.. Its like 90 degrees in December.. Yeah... Anyway the color of the water is amazing. I have a pool and never realized how much that color blue is so soothing....
December 7, 2012 at 2:08pm     
charleee
Becky - did you hang your shutters yet? And are they the color of the year???
December 7, 2012 at 2:38pm   
Becky Harris
olldbobbi, funny you should ask - they were delivered today and the boxes are so heavy I can't get them in the house. I'm waiting for my friend to come over and help me slide them in, then they'll be painted and hung next week!
December 7, 2012 at 2:39pm   
charleee
Becky, funny! You know that ready-to-assemble furniture you can get at places like Target? I bought a bunch of it one time, had a Target employee load it in the car, not thinking how on earth I'd get it out. I had to cut open the boxes in the car and carry the pieces up the stairs two at a time !!! Ah, lessons learned....
December 7, 2012 at 2:42pm     
Aja Mazin
olldbobbi,

remove the counter and install a slot machine.
December 7, 2012 at 2:44pm     
houssaon
Although this is not the color I think of when someone says "Emerald, " I voted for Pantone's selection. When a color is selected by Pantone, do designers start to incorporate the color in their fabrics and textiles?
December 7, 2012 at 2:45pm     
Aja Mazin
I am dyeing my hair Emerald, even as I type....
December 7, 2012 at 2:48pm     
charleee
Aja, funny! My hair color is WHATEVER !!!
December 7, 2012 at 2:50pm     
Aja Mazin
olldbobbi,

Benjamin Moore's WHATEVER is the new beige!
December 7, 2012 at 2:51pm     
carolannr
I love the new emerald color choice. I hope it will soon show up on Kitchenaid items, etc. like the tangerine -it seemed to be all over. I have noticed an interesting thing though - the search for clearer, stronger nature colors seems to reflect the amount of sunshine we have here in Colorado - its pretty rare to see these clear, fresh colors used in areas where they don't get as much sunshine as we do here. Anyone else notice this?
December 7, 2012 at 3:06pm     
Darzy
Emerald? Hey..it's green. My mother still has her emerald green carpet for as long as I can remember. I love the outdoors and nature, but I don't feel soothed by the unnatural green color. As far as fashion...do you know anyone who looks good in green?
December 7, 2012 at 3:11pm     
charleee
Redhead, Darzy, redheads. I knew this very vain redhead once, she only wore green and would only drive green cars. She had her Mustang painted green, just for her hair.
December 7, 2012 at 3:13pm     
Aja Mazin
carolannr

It is that dark cloud that seems to follow me everywhere....
December 7, 2012 at 3:13pm     
Darzy
Oh yes...the redheaded stepchildren. : ) My mother will be pleased to hear she is now "vogue'!
December 7, 2012 at 3:16pm     
carolannr
Hope the cloud clears soon! Wallpapered a modelhome in the 70's with a bright silver metallic paper - remember those? and the builder loved this bright green carpet with it. He thought he knew how it should look. That house was on the market for a looooonng time! But that was in MN.
December 7, 2012 at 4:07pm     
feeny
Oh no! Having lived through both the avocado and hunter green fads, I cannot take another green. I'll go with indigo night (in small doses) or even lemon sorbet, but not emerald. I might be able to live with aloe, however, if another round of green is absolutely required.
December 7, 2012 at 4:49pm     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I don't really like any of these very much. The Pantone Emerald is probably the best, but a little of that would go pretty far. I don't like the Indigo at all, and those other colors are so wimpy they almost don't qualify as colors!
December 7, 2012 at 5:04pm   
orangecamera
In case you can't tell from my name, I love the color orange. I always have. I'm glad it will not be "color of the year" anymore, because it means all the cool orange stuff will now be on clearance sales and I can afford it!
December 7, 2012 at 5:42pm     
lbigs
I voted indigo, but I love the emerald too. Both colors are currently already in my house and wardrobe, so I'm excited to see them!
December 7, 2012 at 11:35pm   
PRO
Toronto Designers
I like that there are colours of the year as there are clients that just want to know. For most clients, however, I always suggest they go with what they love and have always loved. The other day I recommended a turquoise sofa for a client that always had a crush on that colour. I think that is the way to go - with what you love. And if you don't know or change your mind often, the colour of the year gives you a great suggestion.
December 8, 2012 at 5:38am     
feeny
@Toronto Designers
Lucky client--I have a permanent crush on turquoise too.
December 8, 2012 at 5:51am     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I think that the main thing the color predictions do is provide a lot of product in those hues. If that's what you want, you're in luck. I always seem to be looking for something other than the reigning colorway - good luck with that.
December 8, 2012 at 6:11am     
PRO
Dytecture
Personally I still would like to use color as accents rather than 'dominate' large areas in a room.

December 8, 2012 at 7:08am     
PRO
Linda Donohue Fine Art
I love indigo and using it in my paintings. It's a mysterious color.
December 8, 2012 at 7:23am     
PRO
Nancy Hehmann
I would not paint a wall Emerald; but would love to have it in fashion or as splashes of color as suggested by Charmean Neithart! It has been years since I had anything green to wear. Except I have a great green sweater - I bought it for fun it looks like shag carpet with some gold threads.I can wear it at Chrsitmas, St. Paddy's and Easter (could hang Easter eggs from it) The sweater always made my sons laugh - so it is all good!
December 8, 2012 at 11:10am     
PRO
JAN MOYER
Have to agree on Emerald. I think this will broaden, as it always does, to bring back greens in all their cooler bluer tones. These tones have been missing from the fabric scene in particular, ever since passion for warm, deep olive shades and accompanying strong and berry reds, waned. Deep indigo blues are a natural outgrowth of the recent lengthy trend to grays and a cooler palette in general.
December 9, 2012 at 5:24am     
riconsd
Air .03 looks like the LA Basin with an inversion layer.
December 9, 2012 at 8:00am     
rosebud3
Bah humbug on predictions...and emerald green. I've always been a blue girl and always will be!
December 9, 2012 at 9:36am   
lessismoore
The "aloe" is aka M.Stewart's "duck's egg" and I think we will be seeing more of that. I don't think "Emerald " will have much sticking power. I think tangerine tango was more "realized" in use in a diluted version.
Here are some gorgeous palettes to treat the eye, many featuring that duck's egg :-) and variations on that vision: http://blog.psprint.com/printing/wintry-color-palettes-designers/
December 9, 2012 at 10:17am     
em57
How long are colour cycles? Am I getting too old? Emerald reminds me of the eighties and it is too soon to be back. It was also used often in office chairs for a punch of colour. We can't jump a decade of cycles in one year. Orange was 70's but a year later to embrace emerald is too soon.
December 9, 2012 at 10:23am     
lessismoore
Planned obsolescence. Just when you get everything right, it HAS to go out of vogue. It will come back in, just after you send it to Goodwill. That said, I'll eat my hat before I ever want anything in "avocado green" except an actual avocado.
December 9, 2012 at 10:32am     
PRO
JAN MOYER
Hey, i thought Labor day was yesterday.....so I guess we know that how fast time goes is proportional to how LONG you've had time....: )
December 9, 2012 at 10:32am     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
@ lessismoore - EXACTLY!
December 9, 2012 at 11:05am     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I think the only people this won't look familiar to were born after 2000. Yech - sorry, not going back here, avocado or emerald!
December 9, 2012 at 11:15am     
lessismoore
OMG!
Kathryn Peltier Design - That's the dreaded "hump and bump" that plagued me!
December 9, 2012 at 11:31am     
PRO
JAN MOYER
Here's the funny thing.... I said the exact "not going there" words regarding gray after that horrible thing with peach and mauve and gray in the early eighties. But! It always comes back differently, and gets used differently, whatever IT is, so I try to say never say never. I always tell clients, there are no bad colors, just bad USES of them, so yeah.... maybe skip the lint catcher emerald carpet, but picture gorgeous clean sparkly emerald lamps with crisp white drum shades.....: )
December 9, 2012 at 11:44am     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
@Jan Moyer - I know exactly what you mean! Yes, I agree - never say never. There are some colors, though, that have too many bad connotations, just like the name of that kid you couldn't stand in elementary school, and even now you can't stand the name LOL!
December 9, 2012 at 11:58am     
patriciamaia
I have a field of green tile floor, not feeling the love of green for 2013
December 9, 2012 at 12:03pm   
lessismoore
Janmoyer - Well, I've changed my mind before, I guess it could happen.
Part of it is that exact shade of green they are showing, I guess in small doses and the right combo I might not even notice it? Tho not likely ... But the avocado green - that has burned a black hole in my brain. KPDesign got it right with comparing it to the name of some kid you couldn't stand in elementary school. Elementary school is long over, but I still dislike the name Marilyn.
December 9, 2012 at 1:15pm   
Darzy
lol..Angelique is the name I dislike!
December 9, 2012 at 2:29pm     
PRO
JAN MOYER
oh Ladies!!! !!!! You made me remember Wayne what's his face from eighth grade, and LEE SCHWARTRZ and his hideous leisure suit at the ninth grade homecoming dance. Okie dokie then..you know I have some decades under my belt! But a forty year old tried to pick me up the other day so.... not dead yet.
December 9, 2012 at 2:48pm     
PRO
lucinda carlstrom
I always have greatl fun making a quilt or two out of duppioni silk whenever the new colors are predicted. I recycled thrift store dresses too in my quilts, so I guess I'll have to dig .for those dresses from the jewel tone era and see if by chance I have anything that works. Please ladies, spill something on that silk dress so I can buy at Goodwill anod tear it apart.
December 9, 2012 at 2:53pm   
lessismoore
Lucinda - beautiful stuff there :-)
December 9, 2012 at 3:12pm   
PRO
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
I've seen the emerald/kelly green trend coming for a while now. In particular, I like Sherwin Williams Organic Green. However, it's such a strong color, I don't think we'll see it used in large doses very often. In my experience, it's been a curtain fabric, a console, a side chair, or one accent wall - not a whole room. I feel the same way about citron or greeny-yellows: They are spectacular in small doses.
December 9, 2012 at 4:15pm     
PRO
JAN MOYER
@paint color help,
I think that foreshadowing thing happens to all of us who work in design. Our eyes tire sooner, and we come to feel we have BEEN THERE, SEEN IT, DONE IT!!! MOVE ON PLEASE....: ) I am not tired of soft grays.... rather frightens me that I'm not! Ps to all.. beware that pale lemon; you need a TON of natural light to pull it off, unless you want a sick nursery effect, or the room to look as though it caught a bad flu. In all cases with wall color, light is the "decider". If you loooove a color, and it won't work well on your walls, use it in a fabric accent instead.
December 9, 2012 at 4:44pm     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I always think it's always much more interesting to find a new palette and buck the trends. The trick is finding items that work with it because EVERYTHING is in the "hot" palette. And as you say, Jan Moyer, not every room can handle the trend, whether it be due to size, configuration or lighting. If you like it, go with it, but never use something simply because it's the trend! B-O-R-I-N-G
December 9, 2012 at 4:55pm   
PRO
JAN MOYER
@ Kathryn Peltier
No kidding! About six years ago I was digging, digging digging for grays in linen....N.A.D.A!!!! All of a sudden,( hah! like a full three years later).... then it was indigo..... and all of a sudden.....lol
December 9, 2012 at 5:07pm     
colori
Ben Moore what were you thinking with Lemon Sorbet? There is no doubt there is a beautiful place for this color. But Color of the Year. Just not feeling it.
December 9, 2012 at 5:11pm   
PRO
JAN MOYER
colori,
I am with you on that one. But bet me "Benny" will come up with a huge poster in the paint store, and it will have a photo of a sorbet painted room accented with satiny white french doors ajar , light spilling into the room, glossy ebony floors, an icy pale grey/white upholstery on dining chairs, a fab chandelier, white tulips running drooping effortlessly over the table and place settings, and all will drool, and there ya go. It's all color use and presentation and marketing. The chip is undoubtedly in their deck and has been lurking there all along... now... so subtly tweaked as to garner "color of the year"!
December 9, 2012 at 5:27pm   
Bernadette_E Anne
I'll take the Emerald and be ok with it but primarily because, on Friday, the Today show did a nice job explaining how to incorporate it and WHY it was picked, how orange was related to economy last year, etc. I also happen to live outside the Emerald city of Seattle in the green state of Washington, so maybe I can deal with the fresh green a lot better too :-) I love Yolo's palette though. Very earthy and fresh.
December 9, 2012 at 7:14pm   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
May I just add that the Pantone "Emerald" doesn't look at all like what I think of as "Emerald". It looks more like turquoise headed towards the 1980's "teal" to me.
December 9, 2012 at 8:07pm     
PRO
Barbara Stock Interior Design
For me, the Pantone Emerald is too "Look at me, look at me, look at me now!" (thank you, Dr. Seuss). I just can't imagine relaxing in a room that prominently featured that color. Charmian Neithart, I like how you used it as an accent, however.

I'm more of a Yolo gal myself. I did notice Mary McDonald incorporated emerald in a NYC boutique she designed for Monika Chiang, featured last week on Million Dollar Decorators. It was the one element I couldn't get past. However, as with most Pantone pronouncements, by next year we'll probably all be loving it!
December 9, 2012 at 8:54pm     
Becky Harris
I agree that the color swatch I keep seeing online is not what I would call "emerald." Emerald is darker and deeper and more rich and I keep wondering if it's getting lost in translation because of the computer screen or if it's WAY off ...
December 10, 2012 at 5:10am   
Becky Harris
Wow, besides lemon sorbet, it's a pretty close race right now, including the "whatever" answer!
December 10, 2012 at 5:14am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
Agreed Becky! Ps......... didn't we do that nourish, water thing about eight years ago? I think there is lingering markdown ready-made bedding still buried on the shelves somewhere. Sooooooooryyyyyyy hated it then hate it now!
December 10, 2012 at 5:15am   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Is it just my moniter, or is Lemon Sorbet pink?
December 10, 2012 at 6:27am   
Chandani
Love the commentary.... not so much, the colours! I'd have to go with the whatever option!
December 10, 2012 at 6:34am     
PRO
Studio E Deign Group, Inc
Emerald! It can be as an accent color with layered greens in different shades. These are CR Laine upholstered pieces.
December 10, 2012 at 1:09pm   
PRO
Studio E Deign Group, Inc
Here an Emerald painted wall. More CR Laine upholstery.
December 10, 2012 at 1:29pm     
designideas4me
I love to garden and love my plants but no way am I painting a wall green or buying a green couch. Green is for plants and frogs !!
December 10, 2012 at 1:53pm     
PRO
Mona Ives
That doesn't look Emerald, but real emerald is gorgeous - think Wizard of Oz or even the gem. More kelly green. I am in love with it used with taupe in interiors, which is my new grey. I have decided I'm officially done using grey unless a client insists. however long it takes the world to catch up, so be it. But taupe is my new love - and with gorgeous amethyst and emerald, and yes, I love indigo too. gem tones and taupe. I'm in love.
December 10, 2012 at 2:04pm     
PRO
designAbility Interiors
Looks like an old traditional is back for a new round
December 11, 2012 at 7:04am     
PRO
Edger Landscape Design
Do not like emerald. Cold and will be dated quickly.
December 12, 2012 at 1:23pm     
PRO
Dig Your Garden Landscape Design
For the landscape /garden I prefer the aloe, and indigo night. My top vote was for Aloe. I like the emerald for an accent or splash of color only, inside or out.
December 13, 2012 at 4:40pm   
PRO
karen paul interiors
I have an ideabook I put together over a month ago and it is labeled Color Palettes for 2013. I think it will be fairly accurate. It is meant for 2014 as well. Most recently I did one for the Emerald from Panatone, along with some Houzz photos I was able to find. If you look through the Color Palettes for 2013, I think you will find some fun stuff and lots of saturated colors we've been missing for a while.
December 13, 2012 at 4:54pm   
Aja Mazin
Not on my walls!!
December 13, 2012 at 5:07pm     
PRO
JAN MOYER
This emerald "thing" is one of those tones that requires QUALITY/ TEXTURE /QUALITY when it comes to fabrics. I have been around looooong enough to remember hauling those lumpy spruce and burgundy boldly plaid sofas out of clients family rooms..... I AM SCARED TO DEATH SHOULD THE SCENARIO REPEAT. I could live with perhaps...mmm ....$350 per yard mohair... yes!. Heavy Belgian linen too! Deeply saturated silk velvet. But it is a shade fraught with peril, and takes some skill to avoid the cheesy. Sorry. Turn on Bravo Million Dollar Decorators and even Mary MacDonald, renowned for her resonant classically zingy interiors...has dipped into the emerald can. Lets put it this way, even in the highest ends of the price spectrum it has its PERILS.
December 13, 2012 at 5:29pm     
Becky Harris
When I think of emerald, I always think of Kiera Knightly's gorgeous dress in Atonement:
December 14, 2012 at 7:56am     
Aja Mazin
What makes Kiera Knightly's dress "gorgeous"?
December 14, 2012 at 8:35am   
Becky Harris
the fabric and the color and the cut and the draping and of course, Kiera, IMHO.
December 14, 2012 at 8:43am   
Aja Mazin
Would you love the dress in another color?
December 14, 2012 at 8:47am   
Becky Harris
Good question! It was the green in the movie, the flow of it, the contrast with the rooms that made it so stunning. I think I would like it in another deep jewel tone, but I don't think anything would have been as striking as the emerald was! It's what I think of whenever I think of that movie.
December 14, 2012 at 9:01am   
lessismoore
Pantone's Emerald is not what most of us would call Emerald - But I think I've seen that color before, either in outdoor awnings or patio furniture. I guess it fades well?
December 14, 2012 at 9:34am     
momof5x
Benjamin Moore's Lemon Sorbet, people in many countries tend to use standard off white or cream colours for houses or Villas and I would say the next best colour closest to that would be the Lemon Sorbet.
December 14, 2012 at 11:21am   
judianna20
Remember astro turf and
December 14, 2012 at 12:21pm     
orangecamera
ch-ch-ch-chia!
December 14, 2012 at 1:03pm     
PRO
JAN MOYER
I think whatever color you like, whatever color you choose!. Sadly the mere concern seems a total luxury this morning. I wonder if any of the mommies of the children slaughtered in Newtown Connecticut yesterday were Houzzers. I wonder if the principal of that school, or her assistant ever logged on for a break via some Houzz fun. On a brilliant day in a small town, one lone person turned the world very bleakly gray and dull, in perfect sync with the sparkliest time of the year. Whoever we are, whatever our homes, no matter our longing for beauty, hug your kids, click on Word or Pages and make a list of the wonderful, healthy, safe, joyful, colorful, aspects of your life. Right down to the lumpy sofa, or ratty rug you'd be thrilled to replace in any color. Print it and post it prominently as a reminder of the many good things and how suddenly all the joy can be snuffed. That we're even on this site, our lives are good. In any color at all.
December 15, 2012 at 3:11am     
PRO
Loribeth - Moments of Art
Pantone's Emerald does not look Emerald to me. It reminds me too much of the color that was popular in the '80s. I like greens that have less blue in them. My favorite of the choices given is the yellow color.
December 19, 2012 at 6:32am   
halliballi
Yay I got it right! Shermin Williams aloe!!!!!
December 20, 2012 at 10:38am     
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
I picked that Aloe Color too although I think its a little late 80's comeback color pretty close to what I used to call Teal. I still have tennis racquet close that color and I remember seeing cars in that color too. I thought it was the coolest with the white leather grip.
December 20, 2012 at 11:01am   
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
As a colour girl at heart, I love the entire palette but I am always ready to see new colour influence. This particular collection has a vintage feel that is perfect for what we are seeing in design trends right now bur the emerald and the indigo punch it up.
December 20, 2012 at 11:40am   
designideas4me
Jan Moyer.................. Nice to see others on here who feel the pain and loss . I have been very wrapped up in watching the news this past week. I am watching an interview now with a parent who says at least this event has brought back the true meaning of Christmas... people helping others.. He said its all about giving and not receiving...I just wish this sentiment was more widespread and not reserved for holidays. I for one always give to those less fortunate. It helps me get rid of anything that are not essential or needed in the house and most of all it makes me feel good to help others. Great comment Jan
December 20, 2012 at 9:15pm   
PRO
Seattle Staged to Sell LLC
I missed this discussion earlier, so I am going to take a moment and chime in. I love 2013 color of the year and this is a blog that I wrote about it. I am totally ready to welcome this new trend. I started by buying an emerald green color dress and added a tango-tangerine belt to it. A bit of reminder of the past is always a good thing.
http://www.seattlestagedtosell.com/2013/01/01/emerald-2013-pantone-color-of-the-year-is-about-harmony-proserity/
January 2, 2013 at 6:24pm   
PRO
Walker Woodworking
A customer of ours had us mix a custom paint just for what they were looking for. They were very satisfied with the outcome.
June 10, 2013 at 12:41pm   
momof5x
I like it , it is very nice. Mine is in milky white, like the cream bit on top of milk.
June 10, 2013 at 12:47pm   
dkvhaus
I like green. However, Pantone emerald is far from my liking. It reminds me of the hideous green Girl Scout uniform I had. Although I embrace all colors, there are shades of each that are garish.
October 21, 2013 at 11:11pm     
PRO
Loribeth - Moments of Art
I'm not fond of Pantone's emerald either. I thought maybe it would grow on me, but that hasn't been the case at all.
October 22, 2013 at 1:50pm     
lessismoore
What I "think" (pure opinion) is that in retrospect (2013 being close to over!) that SWs Aloe came the closest to what a lot of people I know were craving. It was all about "blue to turquoise" in a good way. Now, I know the new Pantone palettes were recently released - How do you feel about these? http://www.pantone.com/pages/fcr/default.aspx?season=spring&year=2014
October 22, 2013 at 2:45pm   
dkvhaus
Thank you for posting the 2014s. Sand -not too bad. the ither colors bring to mind clothing one might see on a cruise ship. Alas, I wait with joyful hope for the coming of following season. I plead, "Next?"
October 22, 2013 at 3:49pm   
lessismoore
LOL dkvhaus - I guessing, but I think violet/purple (maybe not these incarnations, but variation on them) will start "popping." We've had a lot of "paint it gray" lately, and violet tones do blend and contrast nicely with grays. "Sand" will ALWAYS be with us :-)
October 22, 2013 at 4:50pm   
Becky Harris
If fashion is any indicator, I am seeing cobalt blue EVERYWHERE on people on TV, as well as on cars all of the sudden. Emerald, not so much, except on malachite, which I do love.
October 22, 2013 at 5:51pm   
happyasaclam
Color predictions lead to confusion and guilt! If you have choosen your paint palate then read an article that proclaims your colors are dated you are more likely to walk out of the paint store empty handed! If you've given your contractor the ok to get started then find out you are going against the newest trend do you have him stop, change colors and waste the money you just spent? Think about what is more important to you! Following the the crowd or your own heart!!
October 22, 2013 at 7:36pm   
lessismoore
Becky - I was also thinking (betting? ) that Royal Blue might be making a comeback. Note that Pantone has included "Dazzling Blue" - Well, they have slew of colors there ... nothing like hedging a bet ;-)
October 22, 2013 at 10:23pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.