Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What colour bed frame?
Yvonne Wen
December 7, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My bedroom wallpaper is black/brown, with a brown carpet and curtain, though the rest of the wall is cream in colour ... I am not sure what colour bed frame I should choose ? As i am concern that if I choose something in brown it will make the room look small. But I would like to have a cozy and luxurious look for the bedroom.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Manon Floreat
I'd opt for an arched upholstered headboard in a a light taupe or tan. The curve will mimic those in your wallpaper and the style is complimentary to the glam vibe you have going.

Fantastic paper!

December 7, 2012 at 3:20PM     
dcer
I love Manon's suggestions! Definitely a neutral frame with a cool sculptural shape.
December 7, 2012 at 3:29PM     
houssaon
Here is a dark wood on a black and white wallpaper Here is a dark wood on a black and white wallpaper reminiscent of yours: Georgia Strait home I think it is a rich look. But I am also partial to black furniture and think a black head board would look great. Another option is no headboard at all. I love this unusual bed in black: Eclectic Bedroom
December 7, 2012 at 3:29PM     
Manon Floreat
Thanks dcer! I hope Yvonne posts pics of what she decides to do.
December 7, 2012 at 3:34PM   
Christine
Your wallpaper is Gorg! If you are keeping it then pull the lighter color out of it and I would make a leather covered headboard with shiny nailhead accents. Not to big or bodacious but nothing so bland it blends in to the scenery. Lovely choices and it will be smashing when done
December 7, 2012 at 4:04PM     
marylynnk
You could also pick any rich bright color with that background and it would work. Really, depends on your taste. But a grass green velvet or rich gold (blue, pink, etc.) would also look incredible!
December 7, 2012 at 6:29PM     
Yvonne Wen
Thanks everyone!
December 7, 2012 at 9:54PM   
rosiescathouse
If you want to stick with neutrals, do black or gray (or greige). Definitely not brown or beige. Or go bold with turquoise, bright green, shocking pink, red.
December 8, 2012 at 9:22AM   
Natalie
This will look soooo nice with what you have... Gorgeous! :) Good Luck! http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=67603&relatedPhotoId=2055&index=2
December 8, 2012 at 3:34PM     
Jayme H.
Maybe black/and use bedding to tie the drape color into the fabric on the bedding?
December 8, 2012 at 7:24PM   
PRO
Kevin Varanai
I would definitely do a white upholstered or lacquered bedframe with dark bedding. It will keep the space glamorous without making it feel too small. Make sure not to cover too much of that stunning wallpaper!
December 8, 2012 at 7:28PM   
kylieny
A black bed frame (wood) will ground the space especially against the wallpaper that immediately draws your attention with its graphic nature and the strong colored drapes.
December 9, 2012 at 5:20AM   
Michelle D'Angelo
I would either do the curved upholstered headboard in a light color such as cream or I would do a white four poster bed with modern lines.
December 9, 2012 at 5:54AM   
dzine5
I would do a dark headboard, but soften up your window treatments, bring more cheer into the room!
December 9, 2012 at 6:02AM   
reba63
A completely different idea would be to go with a teak / rosewood headboard with lots of grain and a slight upward curve. The lights and darks of the grain would tie the curtains to the wallpaper without adding pattern while the curve would echo the wallpaper. Teak, rosewood are also very warm and glamorous but lend a touch of modernity to the room.
December 9, 2012 at 7:14AM   
reba63
See Southern Heights Urban Living collection.
December 9, 2012 at 7:40AM   
euspaca
I agree with Manon's suggestion of a scrolled style upholstered headboard. However, I agree with Maryfgraves on color and the velvet texture. I think a different color will soften the wallpaper (which is magnificent) and stop it from getting lost. I was thinking a blue/gray or a rich gold. Good luck!
December 9, 2012 at 8:04AM     
vanandric
Dark wood...all the way! It will tie the browns together.
December 9, 2012 at 8:33AM   
Lkristine
White or cream like Christine suggested would look stunning! It will help balance light and dark while maintaining the elegance of the room! Also still keeps a more expensive item neutral, providing ease in changing out decorative pillows/bedding/accessories easily!
December 9, 2012 at 2:31PM   
PRO
Heather M. Hayes
I also would combine Manon's and Maryfgraves' ideas to make your own custom poshness. Have fun:)
December 9, 2012 at 2:32PM   
Elise
Haven't read the comments above, but cream colors with luxurious sheets and textured bedding come to mind. The drapes have a hint of gold to them in the picture? With the beautiful wallpaper as the background, the bed could be an island of serenity and relaxation in the room.
December 9, 2012 at 2:38PM   
PRO
Otrada LLC
I can't see the entire space, but you went bold and glam for the wall covering. Why stop there? I'd say a four poster, clean lined, bed frame in a bright color. Yellow, red/orange, emerald green? Keep the lines clean, the linens simple and neutral like white or off-white.
December 9, 2012 at 5:04PM   
csabdalla
I think the what is killing the room are the drapes. I would opt for a white silk dupioni like from PB or RH and would maybe set it up higher. It would really open up the room brightening it considerably. SInce the wallpaper is quite ornate I would suggest clean lines but a luxurious bed ... consider this velvet, off white tufted bed.
http://www.zgallerie.com/p-3666-victoria-sleigh-bed.aspx

or a lovely black canopy bed with clean lines like the one from Crate and Barrel
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/pavillion-black-canopy-bed/f38170

You have great high ceilings - rock them with some great art, mirrors - something.
December 9, 2012 at 5:37PM   
PRO
Interiors by Lucy Malagisi
If this is a couple's room, I would go with a curved laquered mahogany headboad with matching dressers. The bedding could be a champagne colored quilt. If on the otherhand it's for a female only, I would go with a rectangular, tufted, white leather(ette) headboard with maybe mirrored nightstands.I would keep the bedding neutral and simple - white cotton. Add a throw in either a rich dark brown to pick up on the wallpaper or beige to match the curtains.
December 9, 2012 at 5:56PM   
PRO
City Girls Decor
Love that velvet headboard Natalie! Wish I had one! Maybe I will look into it now~
December 9, 2012 at 6:10PM     
PRO
AHID&D
Try an upholstered semi arched headboard in a sapphire blue plush velvet with antique brass nail heads. Could help those window treatments.
December 9, 2012 at 6:11PM   
shorttail
I would try an antique solid brass bed with square lines and lots of patina. They can be costly but are a beautiful investment piece. The soft, sultry patina of the brass would play off your wallpaper just wonderfully, and still keep the room elegant and timeless. Do not clean and shine the brass, as the aged surface is what would look so Wow in your room! Add one or two deep rich colours with long haired sheep-skin pillows(or keep it to the natural white)! Also a square lined bed would counter the pattern in the walls, and since these are not solid, you would see the pattern through the headboard section. Goodluck
December 10, 2012 at 6:40AM   
Yvonne Wen
Thanks everyone.. Been shopping around.. What do you guys think abt this bed , it only comes in white or black... Can't get it in a brown or neutral
December 10, 2012 at 2:17PM   
euspaca
The important thing is that you love it. I personally find it a bit severe and I think the busyness of so much tufting will compete with the busy wallpaper. You have a lot of wonderful things going on in the room, I would like to see something softer.
December 10, 2012 at 3:14PM   
PRO
AHID&D
Too heavy and too much!
December 10, 2012 at 4:21PM     
PRO
Otrada LLC
You need a lighter visual feel that will bring your eye up that feature wall. This feels visually heavy, dark, and too detailed with all that tufting. Sorry.
December 10, 2012 at 4:24PM   
SweetDreen
I think you could find a better bed. Its nice but the foot board is a bit much.
December 10, 2012 at 5:12PM   
Natalie
Negative---it is wrong. Sorry. :(
December 10, 2012 at 7:14PM   
dwhitecom3
How about mirrored?
December 10, 2012 at 8:36PM     
reba63
The bed takes away from the drapes because it emphasizes the black in the room and it brings a business like feeling to a room of romance The drapes are luxe. You need a sleek bed that harmonizes the glam of the wallpaper with the luxe of the drapes. You can bring in an accent color but first you need to create a harmony of angular and curvature as well as color harmony. You'll know it when you feel it. Does the bed you've looked at give you the same feeling you get when you look at your wall and drapes´╝č. If not, keep looking.
December 11, 2012 at 1:38AM   
PRO
Otrada LLC
I agree that a mirrored bed would work also. Here are a few more images on a clean lined four poster. Otherwise, I'd purchase a black one and paint it a bold color as mentioned earlier. This option would be a huge cost savings if the budget is tight, yet you still want glam.
December 11, 2012 at 10:35AM     
bellabalou
the above beds are made by The Mirrored Bed Company as I have just ordered the cube bed shown! So exciting!
April 2, 2013 at 10:48AM     
More Discussions
Bachelor needs help on Curtains! Please!
Hello all! I need some help! I have a Sliding balcony...
Basement colours
Hi, I am having serious colour issues with our basement....
Help with patio
We redid our patio and need to work on some sort of...
Basement smells
Completely gutted, only the studs and concrete floor...
Chimney dilemma
We just moved into this beautiful old house, but the...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.