Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
GAME ROOM HELP
reginaeaster
December 7, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Try to decide what color curtains I should put on the walls...the walls are kind of a mustard color that I am not fond of but I thought was the best color to go with the burgundy leather couches....should I do olive curtains, some type of gold, or burgundy...I added a few tester curtains to get a better feel...or maybe I should repaint the room....ugh
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
18nweise
Burgundy to match the couch!!!
December 7, 2012 at 5:25pm     
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I quite like the colour that is a few shades darker than the walls
December 7, 2012 at 5:41pm     
reginaeaster
thanks Carolyn, so you like the olive or just get a gold that is a little darker then the walls...
December 7, 2012 at 5:52pm   
reginaeaster
thanks 18nweise
December 7, 2012 at 5:52pm   
bbkieffer
How about a stripe or patterned curtain that has burgundy and olive green? I think a velvet or raw silk curtain would look very rich in your gorgeous room.
December 7, 2012 at 6:01pm     
marylynnk
In the picture the leather looks a little brownish to me. I think a punch of color and pattern(stripe, floral, geomtric, etc.) that matches the top of the pool table and bring that color over the the rest of the room in pillows and back the shelves. Pick a solid and one or two patterns, big and small.
December 7, 2012 at 6:25pm     
reginaeaster
Hi Maryfgraves, I thought about adding the color from the pool table, BUT the couches are that deep plum, burgundy color and I think it might look a bit off....maybe I should just redo the walls olive...ugh ugh...lots of work, but I am just not happy and can't find a color that will match the walls and the pool table...when I ordered the pool table, I asked for burgundy, little did I know it would look like deep red..ugh
December 7, 2012 at 6:30pm   
reginaeaster
maybe i should just change the walls like this picture...the first one....although love the second one to
December 7, 2012 at 6:36pm   
Aja Mazin
Go with the second one.
December 7, 2012 at 6:54pm     
lucindalane
I like the idea of the dark red toned curtains, or the mixture of colors with stripes. I think that is all you need. However, if you are regretting the wall color, I do like the green wall color in the photo you put up, and the curtain ideas still work with that..
December 7, 2012 at 6:57pm     
PRO
I do like the sounds of a nice rich stripe. I'd look for one that has the gold tones of the walls with some olive and burgundy - it would pull everything together See the two renderings below
December 7, 2012 at 7:11pm     
PRO
A lighter stripe
December 7, 2012 at 7:12pm     
PRO
One more. The key would be find a stripe with the wall colour, a small red stripe and the burgundy and olive - they don't all have to be exact but close - You may have to have them custom made and use a Robert Allen or Kravet or one of the other fabric houses to come up with the perfect stripe.
December 7, 2012 at 7:21pm     
PRO
Space & Place Interiors
I also think a floral would be prett, something with a mix of all those colors that would work with existing paint or if you decide to paint. Two I recommend by Schumacher 1) Cambourne in Honey or Coral or 2) Khanau Tree in Honey.
December 7, 2012 at 7:21pm     
PRO
December 7, 2012 at 7:22pm     
PRO
More stripes
December 7, 2012 at 7:23pm     
PRO
December 7, 2012 at 7:24pm     
PRO
December 7, 2012 at 7:25pm     
PRO
Here's the first Schumacher a tad on the light side but the floral is lovely too
December 7, 2012 at 7:37pm     
homedecorjunkie
YES! Love Carolyn's idea of the floral with a touch of color for the pool tale and white for the bookshelves! Nice!!
December 7, 2012 at 7:57pm     
reginaeaster
hum wow, I would have never thought of the floral...but I wonder if it is okay even though the couch color isn't in the fabric...I went to the site to....can a regular person order from them or do you have to be a designer....I wonder if they carry the fabric at Calico Corners...

Wow you all are soooooooooo amazing...now to see if the family would like the colors...there is 6 of us and only TWO OF US ARE GIRLS....I have 3 boys and and 1 girl and then there is the daddy...hahaha

another question do you think I should add a shaggy rug under the table by the tv?

i believe this one has all the colors in it...how do i add to my room like you did the first one Carolyn?
December 7, 2012 at 8:24pm   
PRO
Can't take the credit for the fabric, just the rendering - fabric suggestion came from Upcycled Home.
I don't know what it's like in the States, but Schumacher is only available through decorators, designers etc. here in Canada. I haven't seen anything like that in the Calico Corner line. I did try this particular one but it didn't translate very well so I didn't post it. If I get a chance on the weekend I will give it another try. Best thing to do would be to try your favourite fabric stores and bring a swatch of the wall colour, the olive green and a sample of your leather - or get swatches and bring them home. Love the idea of either the fabric or the stripe. If you want to keep it more light and airy the light ground floral is perfect and if you want it more masculine and rich then the darker tones in the stripes.

Good luck Reginaeaster!! Let us know how you make out.
December 7, 2012 at 8:36pm     
reginaeaster
thanks Carolyn...
December 7, 2012 at 9:54pm   
PRO
I was thinking about your room last night and it's really hard to tell by photos, but before you run out and spend a lot of money on floral draperies with a white background take a good hard look at your room. I seel rich dark leather furniture, a dard wood pool table and dark floors. The thing that might be making you feel unsettled is the white book cases. Consider this, paint out the white bookcases to match the other built-ins around the TV or a shade or two darker or just slightly lighter than the walls, or even a shade to match the wood on the pool table. Add a filler across the top of the bookcases and continue the crown moulding to take them right up to the ceiling. Then choose either a floral or a stripe that pulls all your colours together. If you are concerned about it being dark bump up your lighting. It appears that you only have two overhead fixtures. Add lighting on the book cases, some table lamps - possibly some pots if that's an option and even wall sconces. (Read up on what lighting can do for yor space) See attached photos.

Lastly, if you are still struggling, consider having a local interior decorator or designer come in for a consultation. Find someone whose style you love and have them come in to help you fine tune your selections and in the end you won't be spending money to end up with a result you still aren't happy with. You have a beautiful big room and it could be incredible if you take your time, get expert help and make good choices.

Hope this helps you.

C
December 8, 2012 at 4:52am     
PRO
Oh and one more thing, consider a beautiful fixture over the pool table.
December 8, 2012 at 4:57am     
PRO
Space & Place Interiors
Schumacher is a trade only fabric but anyone can buy it via a couple of resources--the easiest being online at insidefabric.com. Just search on the name of the fabric--I think their pricing is about 20% over wholesale or so, may vary slightly by fabric. Also you could buy through a designer (such as myself!) or your shop for making the curtains may also be able to order for you. Good luck on family approval, I know how that goes haha! :-)
December 8, 2012 at 9:54am   
reginaeaster
I really love the idea of adding different light over the pool table...hum might need to see what hubby says about that.....but I wonder if he can stand on the pool table...

I can't recolor the cabinet because it isn't made out of wood...so it has to stay white..
December 8, 2012 at 6:52pm   
Sharon Rea
A fixture above the pool table is a thought. Since you can't paint the cabinets add some white or light cream around the room.
December 8, 2012 at 7:07pm   
reginaeaster
Yeah I was trying to find some creme like pillows today...I do have white vases on the shelf by the tv....
December 8, 2012 at 7:23pm   
PRO
JAN MOYER
Change the pool table felt! Any local leisure and game store will generally come to the house and do it on site, and it is FAR less expensive than a curtain mistake. They can even show you a broad variety of greens which include deep olive, or even a toasty camel. Start there, then adjust the rest. Always fix the easiest to fix.....first. It will take a couple hours max and you'll be happier in the end. Add a great billiard/island light. If you decide to paint, perhaps do the shelving in same.... they aren't sensational or hefty/beefy enough to warrant standing out in high relief. Maybe camel on the walls/shelving/ deep mossy green on the felt, and a fabric to tie all, including sofas together. Fix the problem spots first.
December 9, 2012 at 5:35am     
melibd
Really consider painting the bookcases. You said they are not wood, what are they? There is a paint product on the market this days, that will paint anything. Just ask at the hardware store, what you need to get
December 9, 2012 at 5:50am     
What about curtains that match the (i think its felt) felt on the pool table
December 9, 2012 at 6:01am   
PRO
Wellington Interiors
Here is an idea for your pool cues. The decorative base is from HomeGoods. We just attached the original holder to the new frame. The homeowner says that is was one of her favorite pieces in the room.
December 9, 2012 at 6:24am     
charb6
I like the floral rendering from the decorator, but make sure if you do choose a floral, it's not too busy. Personally, I like a gold, a shade or two Lighter than the walls. A rich silk, with a little shimmer. And be very careful about the light over the pool table. Too low, and a mis-cue will take out the light!
December 9, 2012 at 6:28am   
PRO
Hi again. I'm with painting the bookcases, with the right products it should be possible so investigate.
Here are some renderings showing you, in a very simple way what the affects are of the various colours and fabrics. One of the fabrics is the one above that you asked me to try.

This first image shows a relationship between the wall colours, bookcases taken to the crown and the draperies harmonizing with the elements around it. It doesn't have to be this exactly it's just for you to see how things relate to each other.
December 9, 2012 at 7:52am   
PRO
Image 2 showing white book cases

This is the fabric you asked me to try, hoping to bring in the white bookcases. I feel it's disjointed and things aren't working "together" and the floral is a bit busy, but hey, that's just my opinion :-)
December 9, 2012 at 7:57am   
PRO
image 3 not the best image of the book cases, but they are colour blocked for you to get the feeling
fabric is different
December 9, 2012 at 8:00am   
PRO
Image 3, not the best image of the book cases, but they are colour blocked so you get the impace and the fabric is different
December 9, 2012 at 8:00am   
PRO
Image 4

This is the same fabric up above, but with the darker bookcases. Still not perfect to me.
December 9, 2012 at 8:02am   
PRO
Here is the other view.

Again, I can't stress enough how well worth the consultation fee would be to have a professional come in and help you fine tune your selections.

Good Luck :-)
December 9, 2012 at 8:18am     
Teresa Weber_Freeman
How about a large '40's pattern, art-deco, maybe some kind of stylized winding floral (but not flowery) that incorporates a shade of red/wine slightly darker than the pool table top along with the other colors in the room... Use lined drapes that go up to the ceiling with a box overhang to make them seem more substantial. I agree with Carolyn above... for the price of drapes it's worth it to consult a professional... they have so many more ideas than we would have.
December 9, 2012 at 8:25am   
em57
I'm sure you can paint the bookshelves with the right product. They just do not fit. The pool table is fancy wood and the leather is a natural. The shelves look plastic. Can you find a paint colour very close to the leather colour? It would not look like you were trying to make them look like wood by painting them brown. Then try to find a stripe fabric with the couch colour, felt colour and the wall colour. A simple floral, especially Jacobeon, would be nice but with all the males in the house they will be drawn to the stripe. Let them win a few rounds. And to ever said it first...change the light above the pool table! Oh if you can't find the stripe with those colours find solid fabrics and make colour blocked curtains.
December 9, 2012 at 11:05am   
kiturah
red, the same as the table top
December 9, 2012 at 12:57pm   
sondergaard1
The white bookcases are out of sync with the masculine feel of the room. I don't think any floral would be too good either. Love the stripe idea and I actually do like the green walls, Ecru from Sherwin Williams is a nice soft shade. Maybe you could just paint inside the bookcases with a darker shade of the green, slide down the color chart a couple of tones. You could accent the white with drapery in a heavy fabric with a lot of white shades and maybe a dark band at the bottom.
December 9, 2012 at 1:04pm     
mugsy1703
I would not go with the florals. They do not go with the feel of the room at all. I personally prefer the olive curtains but it is hard to tell as the color of the walls and sofa look different in all of the pictures. The sofas look more brown than burgundy. I think the white bookshelves are too stark and I'm not digging the red felt on the pool table either but they both look WORSE with floral curtains and not better. Maybe paint the backs of the bookshelves the wall color or a contrasting color.
December 9, 2012 at 6:09pm   
PRO
City Girls Decor
I like the idea of pattern curtains that bbkieffer suggested. I think a pattern is what this space really needs!
December 9, 2012 at 6:13pm   
reginaeaster
WOW, i love all of the suggestions...only problem is that there are a few things that can't be changed or shall i say not now...
WHITE WALL CABINET, BURGUNDY LEATHER, POOL TABLE FELT...so I can change the curtains and wall paint and add maybe a rug under the table.
December 9, 2012 at 8:30pm   
webesj
I personally prefer matching the curtains more to the wall color, and not the sofa color. Too much contrast for me. A textured curtained or patterned curtain would also work (no floral though). Like the idea of striped too. Burgundy curtains would be "too loud" for me, but a touch of burgundy in them would be nice. I agree with refelting the pool table cover.
December 9, 2012 at 8:46pm     
reginaeaster
i wonder if it cost a lot to refelt...i should call them and tell them that the color i thought i was getting i didn't get...i just got it last month....well only about3 weeks ago
December 9, 2012 at 8:49pm     
webesj
My husband refelted ours about 10 years ago for under $100. He never did it before and it turned out great. There are refelting kits that you can buy and any handy man could probably handle the job.
December 9, 2012 at 9:21pm     
reginaeaster
thanks webesj
December 9, 2012 at 9:30pm   
nanainatl
Please stay away from those florals, they are scary & very country. I'm not fond of the stripes either. If you want to avoid painting again chose either of the darker panels you put up. The contrast works fine with your walls. Bring in some pattern, texture & color with throw pillows on the dark sofas (include pops of red) & a rug on your dark floor. If little ones tracking in dirt is not a problem I would go with a lighter, textured rug in a wheat color. Your room has great bones & you are almost there. Good luck.
December 10, 2012 at 12:49pm     
nanainatl
Oh, and I love the suggestion to replace the fan with a pool table fixture. Yhat would make a huge differnce.
December 10, 2012 at 12:54pm     
reginaeaster
thanks nanainatl, I am thinking about changing out the felt to a olive color and then maybe one day change my walls to the same color...add a light color rug is on the shopping list to... :)
December 10, 2012 at 1:09pm   
nevadan
I would paint the bookcases to match the walls.
December 10, 2012 at 1:25pm     
thegriers
Forget the floral curtains. They don't fit the room at all. I liked the striped curtains or either just match the walls and add design and color in other ways such as in a rug or a few throw pillows mixed into your solid ones. I would check on calling the place you got the pool table, you never know they may change the felt if they feel you're not happy with their product. A new light fixture over the pool table would look nice. Maybe you can do that later. If you do leave the bookcases white maybe you could add some large artwork to the room with white mats to add that color to the room. Or put more large scale things on the bookcase in the burgundy and mustard colors to at least pull the room colors more together. Maybe the new rug could be in a design with just a touch of white in it. If you do paint the bookcase I'd match the wall to let it just blend in. If you can't change the felt on the pool table I'd just ignore it and work with the main colors of the room. Using red with burgundy never looks right. People will just view it as it is, a pool table. Everything can't always be perfect. I think it will still be a lovely room.
December 15, 2012 at 5:50am     
thegriers
Looking again at your pictures I see you've already added pictures and other things around the room in white. I think if you have to leave the bookcase white it'll be fine except I would add some more things on the shelves in the rooms colors. This is the DIY in me but you could take a thin piece of wood such as a piece of cheap paneling and have it cut to the sizes of the back of your bookcase and then cover them with cloth,etc in one of the colors in your room. That way you could remove them or change the color when you wanted. Just an idea.
December 15, 2012 at 6:02am     
reginaeaster
thanks thegriers, i did find some curtains that I like in the colors of the walls plus i added a few more things...will update with pictures when all done...
December 15, 2012 at 1:27pm     
margaritaposada
You must paint the wall white, then You can put curtains with stripes in white, black and red, the room will be lighter
December 17, 2012 at 2:28pm