powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
II live in Nj my Mortgage is quite high was single person I want to keep my house
marybraue
December 7, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I don't have a basement but I have a huge garage it was the developments office Wonderful windows crown molding couldn't be converted to a room to live in. And then could I charge rent It's inside the house is beautiful . I don't want to move. Just need a little help
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
karen paul interiors
Be specific about what is missing, what you want, what the problems are and post photos to help us help you.
December 7, 2012 at 9:43pm   
orangecamera
Are you asking about converting your garage into an income apartment?
December 7, 2012 at 10:01pm   
houssaon
I don't think you can have someone living in your garage. At least I hope so. You would have to be in a zone that allowed multiple families to convert it to a seperate unit - with a bath and a kitchen. I don't think one room would qualify. On the other hand, you could share your house with some one else. No locks on their room and they would have the use of all the facilities. This would be someone you would want to live with. But you can do that in any single family home.
December 8, 2012 at 12:40am   
charleee
I think you would have to check with your local zoning dept to find out if what you want to do is legal. For instance, does the garage have a bathroom? kitchen? There may be qualifiers that you have to meet to rent a space out.
December 8, 2012 at 4:41am   
orangecamera
You might consider renting your garage as a garage. Lots of people need places to store cars or extra "stuff". Look at how many "self-storage" places are out there.

You wouldn't have any outlay of funds except a very good lock between your house and the garage. And check with your homeowners insurance.
December 8, 2012 at 5:56am   
charleee
Orange, great idea!
December 8, 2012 at 5:58am   
nasmijati
Orange's idea is a good one. Just be sure the people aren't "shady" and putting illegal stuff or a stockpile of guns in there!
December 8, 2012 at 12:14pm   
Nancy Hehmann
Checking with the magistrate's court or whoever is over rental properties is always needed prior to decision making as has been stated. Be sure to make sure the garage room was insulated properly and is heated. If zoning laws allow, perhaps you could make a studio apt if there is room for a kitchenette. Even if you just decide on a roommate, make sure you have a rental agreement in accordance with the laws in your county, a deposit and know your rights and how to evict someone if it does not work out. You can sometimes ask someone to leave; but if they do not want to, you must follow the law. You cannot just set someone out if it does not work out. The magistrates office will advise you and you need to find out prior to renting so you can include what is needed in the rental agreement.
December 8, 2012 at 1:01pm   
orangecamera
If you live in a condo setting, you also need to adhere to the association rules.
December 8, 2012 at 3:48pm   
More Discussions
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
i need help with 2 things stairwell and front of house
This is a very narrow stairwell and am trying to make...
What are your thoughts on embossed wallpaper?
It's definitely an interesting alternative to plain...
Schluter Trim PVC or Aluminum?
I am looking at the Schluter Rondec trim for the wall...
Ideas for accessorizing a fillable lamp
The lamp is on a screened porch in a suburban setting....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.