Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What colour to paint cottage . Holiday rental, Australia
fleurleslie
December 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Cottage on 75 acres of farm land, green hills, sheep, with magnificent sea views of Australia's Southern Ocean, Wilson's Promontory and islands.
To be set up as a self contained holiday rental.
The first photo is...as is
then ?? grey, or ?? red, or any suggestions
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houssaon
Like both the red, which is stunning against the green fields and the grey.
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 4:29AM
Anne Gibney
Definitely red!
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 4:55AM
kylieny
I would do the grey it lends more to the slight modern vibe with railing and under deck panels. It also blends better with the surroundings and the hot weather/intense sunlight that promotes colour in Aus. Alternatively a blue/grey would be nice to. Save a pop of colour for the door perhaps.
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 5:24AM
ksundar
It depends on how you are marketing it, and what the inside is like. Is it a restful retreat, or a fun playful house? If you are listing it on a site like VBRO, the red would certainly catch the eye when scrolling through.
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 7:39AM
Fenella Copplestone
Defo grey┬ž Red is too fire engine!
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 7:44AM
PRO
Eline S Ransom design LC
Chocolate brown..
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 7:59AM
fleurleslie
another angle.

??? pale grey
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 11:48PM
fleurleslie
ooop this is the photo of other angle
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 11:50PM
fleurleslie
i am thinking pale grey now ?????????????????????
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 11:51PM
victorianbungalowranch
I think a more brick red or orange red would be OK, not fire engine. It has a modern feel, so maybe you could color block it. Not crazy about the dark grey--maybe a bit lighter and a section of brighter color, like tangerine or chartreuse or aqua.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 12:38AM
fleurleslie
I think lighter grey to go with the weathered look of the back of the house.

What is chartreuse ??
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 12:54AM
victorianbungalowranch
Chartreuse is a sort of yellow green that was popular in the 50s-60s, at least in the US, and has been revived along with tangerine and aqua as an exterior accent color for mid-century and contemporary homes, especially paired with gray. You can see it when you look up door colors on Houzz.

Red is associated with barns and has waned in popularity as a house color here, although I think they can be quite pretty.

Ideabook: Front and Center Color: When to Paint Your Door Green
Ideabook: 5 Bright Palettes for Front Doors (see other bright colors)

Here is an interesting blog about color. She lives in Vancouver, so what works there (appears to have cool flat light in many of her photos) may be quite different from what would work for you because the quality of light is different.
http://www.mariakillam.com/2009/04/5-steps-to-choosing-the-right-exterior-colours.html

If you are going lighter gray, there is a whole range of accent color you can choose from, depending on how bold you want to be, and the type of gray you choose--gray is a color that can have many different undertones. I personally like a bright color paired with a range of neutrals, and a bit of undertone to the grey, to give it interest. The blog above has a lot of advice about color undertones and accent colors, and light has everything to do with perception of color as well.

I would also consider whether you want the house to stand out or blend with the landscape from a distance. What looks good up close may not look that great from a distance, and vice versa. Color visualizers on exteriors have limitations, and with home software it is best to add color in layers to get something realistic looking.

Generally whatever you pick will look totally different on the chip than on the house.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 7:03AM
More Discussions
Help designing small kitchen island!
Our kitchen island counter size would be 36 X 48 "...
How to choose hardwood flooring?
This is a case where the Internet is not helping. We...
I need help choosing a roof shingle color.
We are going to use a grey siding and shake with grey...
Help decorate my living/dining room
Hi I have just painted and brought the artwork need...
Cost of heated driveway and entry stairs.
Will be replacing a black top circle driveway and concrete...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.