lysechen
December 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
New house. Ranch. Hunter green metal roof
Hardy plank and stone. Siding travertine Sherman
Williams sw2200. What contrasting color to paint shake
In the peaks
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
kitasei
If they're cedar shakes, can they be left to weather naturally gray?
December 11, 2012 at 5:01pm   
lysechen
No it's hardy plank shake
December 11, 2012 at 6:12pm   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
Great house! interesting roof line. re the windows and trim vinyl? o they have to stay white?
I recommend keeping the peaks the same color as the siding.
If you can paint the window casings or muttons a dark black /green darker than the roof. Is the second image and arbor or scaffold. If an arbor then paint the same black/green. Benjamin Moore has some great opaque exterior stains.
December 11, 2012 at 8:19pm   
PRO
Design Discoveries
Try a darker color. Don't be afraid to go bold. With that roof you should look a sherwin Williams "porpise" and then go with a light color trim like a Navajo white
December 11, 2012 at 9:00pm     
XineAnn
You will already have three colors: roof, siding, trim and deck. A fourth color that is far off from the main color could be too busy, especially if you have colorful landscaping. I would stay in the travertine color family and go a shade lighter or darker.
December 11, 2012 at 9:01pm     
houssaon
The roof is the main feature of your home. It has a strong color, so too much color on the siding will take away from it. I think you should do the peaks the same color as the siding.

Have you startind to paint the siding? I think Tavertine is way too orange. Well the one I found on the web is called travertine and it is in the orange family according to Sherwin Williams.
December 12, 2012 at 12:01am     
houssaon
Here is one home with a green roof: Modern Cottage Exterior 1. They used a pale yellow on the horizontal siding and a linen white on the accent areas. Here is another shot of the house: Modern Cottage Exterior 2. Dark gray siding and white trim looks nice: Northshore Cottages

This is a subtle custom color: Crisp Architects. So is this soft pale green:Johnson 1 and here: Johnson 2.
December 12, 2012 at 12:03am     
greenthumb2
Hi. Can you tell us what the deck will look like, or is that an addition on the picture you added in beginning? thank you. also, do you have any other brick on your home other than the four pillars in same picture?

If you are near a wilderness area, consider a warm color that hides the dirt. You may want to consider what you are doing with landscaping because all of it (home,roof, yard) can tie together very well. If you live in a particularly gloomy location (lots of rain, lots of grey days) and there is not going to be landscaping for a while, go with something a little bit cheerful. I used to go home to a grey/mauve w/brown trim in the mountains and the home just looked un-loved. Your green roof is going to help with the cheerful. Can you ask someone you know to import your home into a paint program (Paint, Photoshop) and colorize the window trim and house siding? You would really be able to better find colors that speak to you.

I will try to find link.

this is what another family did with their home. They used the roof as the color guide and went with another shade/hue on base of home. accented their door and window casings to compliment. I am not necessarily suggesting you use red, but merely showing that your roof color can help you find a color scheme. If you want your home to be "different" and lively -- do not rush the painting choice.
December 12, 2012 at 12:24am   
greenthumb2
something different with dark roof. Farmhouse
but, see how the home's shutters and architectural details are used with the white color? your home doesn't have very many areas like this so, using a third color will be very tricky....perhaps you can find something for the peaks like a huge copper star or similar item to punch that area without painting a third color. I actually like the three color scheme for homes. More than that can be distracting to the eye.

here is a link to the star idea: 24 Inch Amish Barn Star maybe there is something else that would better suit your family.
December 12, 2012 at 12:45am     
fife2
Whatever color you choose - please STAIN the shakes? It will preserve the wood and NOT all shakes look that great with a well kept house - aging away. As you know - stain comes in many colors and finishes. I use it like paint: Opaque, semi-solid and transparent - all for a different look. I would probably choose a green stain - in a semi-transparent. Ace Hardware carries Varithane - and they have a host of stain colors in their "Historic Colors" brochures - I just choose two of those colors for my back porch. :-)
December 12, 2012 at 1:15am     
PRO
Kingfisher for Interiors Ltd
Be daring but don't have too many colours. A dark colour will add drama to your home - black or dark grey would add drama but I wouldn't suggest for the whole house - let some of the woodwork breath and go natural. www.kingfisher4interiors.co.uk, e: deb@kingfisher4interiors.co.uk
December 12, 2012 at 4:54am   
heartdesign1
I have developed what I call "magic Taupe" it doesnt TURN with color but has warmth and compliments any other color...looks fabulous on exterior of houses...dont be tempted to use tans.....
December 12, 2012 at 5:56am     
themuddman
If your windows are vinyl, I would be very careful with dark colors. That heat absorbtion will cause distortion in the units. It can do the same with wood sash. Metal Clad and fiberglas aren't impacted like vinyl and wood.
December 12, 2012 at 6:30am   
tsudhonimh
@fife2 ... it's NOT wood shakes. If you had read the question, you would know it's cement fiber.

lysechan ... You already have the roof, the siding, the stone, and the trim ... that's FOUR surfaces. Paint the gable ends the same color as the rest of the siding. I like the soft yellow with a dark green roof and white trim. It's farmhousy and rural, but cheerful.
December 12, 2012 at 6:36am   
kromity
I would paint the trim and under the eaves Icy Tundra from Behr as that will match the windows which although are white this color is not so stark, and the body of the house Pale Sage to complement the dark roof. A bold red front door if you want to paint it would set the entrance way to your home.
December 12, 2012 at 7:26am   
buterbad
I struggled with this same question on my own house and decided on painting the front door a dark, rich maroon and leaving the shakes the same as the siding (which is a medium green). I have a lot of stone on the front of my house, so I was concerned that painting the shakes the same color as my door would be too much. I am very pleased with the end result. However, I think your house would look good with a color on the shakes and I would recommend choosing something dark and rich. I would pull out a color from your brick. I can't tell exactly what colors are in your brick, but if you have a dark red, that would be pretty. Good luck...it's a tough decision; since you'll live with it for many years. Your house is beautiful!
December 12, 2012 at 7:32am   
alwaysdesigning
I would keep the gables the same color as siding; the shake pattern in the gables will help define that space and will be more noticeable when painted. If you paint the gables dark, they will disappear into the roof color because of the shadows cast, and look heavy. Good luck
December 12, 2012 at 7:48am   
December 12, 2012 at 7:51am   
Karen Moore
Green goes with everything in nature. Look at your surroundings...think about stones or wood. A mid tone grey, green, cream would be my choice for the body of the house and strong, dark contrasting trim. Stay away from anything that could look like mustard or poo. Terra cotta can be hard, they can look. If you need a pop of color, paint your front door candy apple red or a rich green slightly darker than the roof.
December 12, 2012 at 9:08am     
Aggie Purvinska
"Anything that could look like mustard or poo", is a classic!!!

If there was a houzz phrase book, this should be recorded.
December 12, 2012 at 9:28am     
Eleanor Stray
Off-white/gray like Rand Moon by Miller Paint with a darker slate gray door. You can't go wring with gray!
December 12, 2012 at 5:17pm   
zwisezcars
Same color as roof on shutters, taupe for siding and white for trim and natural door
December 13, 2012 at 3:48am   
fife2
Tusdhonimh: Yes, I do remember reading this, and simply forgot as someone else mentioned "greying shakes" AND sent a picture. But, no worries, since Stain CAN be used like paint - they could do this if they desire.
December 13, 2012 at 9:13am   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.