Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Having a cooktop in island with raised (bar) counter top
dancingflanagan
December 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Wondering if it's a good idea given lack of space behind the cooktop to back splash area and high top.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Certainly have seen it done. We are taking out a lot of the raised counters - people are getting tired of them and they cut down on usable countertop space. This is one that comes down on personal preference. Some people hate cooktops in an island, some love it. We have one and I love it. I spend more time around the cooktop so it allows me to talk with guests or keep up with the TV in the family room.
1 Like   December 13, 2012 at 2:04PM
PRO
Dytecture
I personally don't mind having a cooktop on the island especially if it is an open concept space where you can overlook the family or eating area.

0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 2:15PM
charleee
If I had to choose between and cooktop or a sink in the island, I would go with a cooktop, but I would make sure to have a splatter sheild to prevent burns.
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 2:17PM
PRO
Stoneshop
This configuration is rather common. It is a matter of personal preference. Personally, I would not like to have a cooktop in this area, but I can understand why some enjoy it.
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 8:20AM
PRO
Barbra Bright Design
Consider making the counter deeper on the cook top side. The counter in this photo is 30" to accommodate the downdraft.
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 2:51PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like them both ways it really depends on the island. If you need to hide the mess a stove can make from the rest of the room bar height is best. If you have a lot of space I like the idea of my guests at counter top height it is easier for conversation.
1 Like   December 14, 2012 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
DESIGN DISASTER! GRANITE AND TILE DON"T MATCH!
We have spend $$$ totally remodeling our master bath...
I would love some input on this shelf display in master bath
I like things simple, but this feels lacking to me....
What would you do with these walls?
We just got possession of our fixer upper and I've...
Need help room that serves as a sitting area and dinning room
I've had 3 different designers (not from houzz) that...
Settle Down Now.
Hello, We just bought this home in the foothills of...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.