powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need helping picking living room colors?
wtalib72
December 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Nice vaulted ceilings see attached image, this slat will be around our new buck stove with dark wood floors... Any thoughts???
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
TanCalGal
I do not think all of the photos downloaded. What is a slat?
December 9, 2012 at 5:59pm   
ldcrnbbfl
If you are looking to stay light and neutral we just painted our living areas Killim Beige by Sherwin Williams on the recommendation of our painter. Love, LOVE the color.
December 9, 2012 at 6:25pm   
xxx_katie_xxx
Very light violet, or a light blue :) or tan...that always works too!
December 9, 2012 at 7:03pm   
wtalib72
I meant Slate Ledger Stone or Stack stone... The walls are currently white we are considering a burnt orange, just not sure so any ideas would be helpful. thanks,
December 10, 2012 at 6:21am   
Natalie
Hi---Stunning stone! I like the idea of a warm hue for the walls, though I think burnt orange might be too hot and paired with the dark floor may give a Halloween vibe. :)
I think an earthy color best---SW 6088 Nuthatch or SW 6089 Grounded would look Great! Pic shows Grounded paint color. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
[houzz=
]
December 10, 2012 at 6:30am   
decoenthusiaste
Wait until you get it installed to decide. Have heard too many stories of stone that doesn't look anything like the showroom sample once installed. Don't be in a hurry.
December 10, 2012 at 7:20am   
TanCalGal
I agree with decorenthusiaste. After the stone is installed, choose a color from the stone. One of the stone's colors that will enhance the flooring, the light in your room & your furniture. You can go lighter or darker with the color for your walls, but the color will have a good connection to the stone. If the stacked stone is white and a white painted on walls will make the stone fade into the back ground, then I would go for the burnt orange on an accent wall, as here: FORMA Design

Other photos of above house: Project: Zen Modern 2.0
December 10, 2012 at 10:58am     
PRO
Karlene Hunter Baum, Allied ASID
I agree that you should wait for the stone before selecting a paint color. You don't have to wait for the stone to be installed before selecting the paint, however. I would look at the stone pieces in your space before it is installed the select a paint color. I would select a lighter grey that is found in the stone. Grays can have tinges of the blue or the green family so you really need to blend it with the tone in the stone. I think the orange idea will be too overpowering for the stone you pictured for your space. You could add punches of that orange color in pillows or other accessories in the room.
December 10, 2012 at 11:37am   
wtalib72
Okay the stone is up and here is the finished product, we are now thinking of going with a SW Grizzy Grey, and thoughts???
December 17, 2012 at 9:58am     
Natalie
Yes---that is a PERFECT color for your walls. Love that you're going dark... Post once you have it painted. FP turned out Stunning... :)
December 17, 2012 at 10:04am   
wtalib72
Almost done, just waiting on the mantel and a few minor finishing details. However we are very happy with the outcome and looking forward to our next project, "the kitchen" Also some new furniture!
January 10, 2013 at 5:38pm     
wtalib72
Question, should we put a mantel and have a TV above or should we just have a flat screen TV similar to the picture posted by olldj22 of project Zen modern 2.0 above????? Our area is very large, 9ft wide 11ft height and our stove insert is 50 inches wide ???? would really appreciate any input, thanks a bunch..........
January 10, 2013 at 5:57pm   
TanCalGal
I like no mantel.

FP stone, looks very nice.

I would have preferred walls a lighter gray that matched one of the stones. I think this is Grizzle Gray? not Grizzy Gray? Anyway, I can see why you like the Grizzle Gray.

This is a good article on choosing wall paints. http://www.lindaholtinteriors.com/2011/07/testing-wall-color-101/
January 10, 2013 at 7:47pm   
Diane Mazefsky
Are you changing the tile/stone in front of the fireplace?
January 10, 2013 at 9:15pm   
PRO
I love the contrast of the dark grey with the lighter tones in the stone. I recommend bringing that darker grey out in other elements in the room as well. Touches of it in an area rug, not the background color, that would be too heavy, a couple of pillows etc. . I agree with the no mantel opinion. I think you could put the tv above the insert but make sure there isn't too much heat coming out of the fireplace and up the face of the stone. That will take a toll on your tv over time. Being that your insert comes out into the room instead of being flush with the stone, the heat may not be a factor.
January 11, 2013 at 7:56am   
wtalib72
Karlene, that is the only wall painted grizzy grey, the rest of the room is two to three shades lighter and believe it or not the stone has grizzy in it..... we even painted the ceilings the light grey and our beams are bright white...
January 11, 2013 at 9:29am     
PRO
That's perfect. I can envision you selecting a grey fabric that is lighter than the accent wall but darker than the other walls and upholstering a sofa in it. Then pulling out orange light grey and white on pillows. Have fun finishing up your space!
January 11, 2013 at 9:36am   
Anne Dewvall
Love it! We are planning to do something similar in our living room so seeing your choices is very helpful! Our stone will be a darker slate, though, with lighter grey walls. Would love to know what you decide regarding your mantel!
January 11, 2013 at 9:54am   
PRO
Sounds great. When you say darker slate, what color of slate? You'll want to make sure you contrast the slate color with the wall color so it doesn't all blend together.
January 11, 2013 at 10:40am   
wtalib72
Anne, the only regrets we have is we forgot to include internet/cable and electric in the slate stone wall for our TV. So if you plan on having a TV make sure you include it. I talked it over with the installers and its going to cost however, it's not to late...... Also, we started out looking for a darker stone or slate and ended up with the Beach walk color which we love because it really brightens up the room and you can paint your walls just about any color you want.... Good Luck!
January 11, 2013 at 12:55pm   
wtalib72
Thank you everyone for your input, We are now thinking of our windows which we have already ordered custom white blinds, however we would like to get some curtains, so if you have any suggestions they would be much appreciated??????
January 11, 2013 at 6:14pm   
PRO
I would choose a fabric that had the medium darkness level of grey that your sofa might end up having. I've found that wool has a fabulous hand, hangs beautifully and would be a wonderful weight to balance your stone fireplace. I would select a solid wool to have made into stationary side panels that would hang off a metal rod above your window casing. I recommend hanging your rod well above your window , this adds height to your room.
January 15, 2013 at 2:58pm