Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
what color to paint walls, new sofa and chair
jojo1948
December 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I bought a light sage leather modern sofa and a white leather chair, I have oak flooring with a brown area rug. The room does not have much natural light.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lefevrej
I think a lighter wall colour would look nice - it'd bring the eyes to the sage sofa, and make the room lighter and brighter.
1 Like   December 9, 2012 at 1:23PM
perreaul
I agree that a lighter wall colour is necessary. The sofa and chair are lovely, but lost agains the walls. The elegant simplicity of these two pieces also is undermined by the curtains. If budget allows, i'd check out translucent blinds that diffuse a white glow and can be made invisible when pulled up. The rug might work if the walls are a warm white, and the handsome green fern? or oriental plant tucked between the chair and the end table needs some pride of place. I'd also be tempted to lower the painting, and maybe lighten the frame or increase the matt within the frame.

I like very much the eclectic use of older style tables with the modern furniture. good luck with this exciting new room. JMP
1 Like   December 9, 2012 at 1:34PM
Natalie
Hi---like this color for your walls... Do change out the window panels. Add some fun toss pillows. Good Luck!
[houzz=
]
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 1:42PM
decoenthusiaste
For my taste, the curtains and rug are the biggest distractions from the sofa's vibe. Have the picture properly matted and lower it to 6" above the sofa. With the curtains and rug gone, bring home the paint samples and go lighter, unless you get tremendous light from that window.
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 1:44PM
Christine
I like the color you have. That color the sofa and the white chair work as far as I can see. You should consider rethinking the rest of it. The rug is a bit too dark and dated as are the side tables, lamps and painting. You could also do with new or no window treatments (if the window is large enough). You really just need a few more key pieces and maybe a low coffee table and some accents in keeping with the style of the sofa and/or chair.
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 2:55PM
pcmom1
Yes, different rug and window treatments would give the biggest punch. And a reframe of the art and hang lower.

I would do a cream, tone on tone wool shag for the carpet. Get a carpet that is a little larger so that part of sofa sits on it.
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 3:08PM
tennisanyone
Agree with deco, curtains and rug are a distraction. New paint would help too. Move the chair out of the corner. I assume it faces the tv. A bigger rug a must. Take a picture of the entire space.
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 3:08PM
jojo1948
I've decided on a medium kahki for the walls, light sage linen drapes. I'd like to replace the art work, but not right away, as it is only a year old, but will lighten the frame color, and lower it over the sofa. I'd love to do a cream carpet, but have a dog, and a husband who refuses to wipe her feet when she comes into the house, so I will have to stay with a darker carpet. Will post pics again, when this stage is over!
0 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 1:21PM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.