Field of green floor tiles.
patriciamaia
December 9, 2012 in Polls
Re tile? Re decorate? Move?
Re tile
Re decorate
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
em57
Are they emerald green? Apparently that is the 2013 colour.
If they are more subtle just try more area rugs. That is a HUGE job to take out. Maybe you could put engineered click hardwood on top with a barrier between. The ceiling is high enough but there would be different floor heights on room transitions. Maybe make it even higher so it is a step of 4 " instead of a trip hazard at 1".
December 9, 2012 at 12:30PM     
patriciamaia
Thank you. Tiles are in excellent condition. Is is possible to tile over tile vs hardwood flooring? Entire house tiled with this tile.
December 9, 2012 at 12:39PM   
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Beautiful home. You can tile over tile and we have seen it done. We don't like to do it as it causes all types of problems down the road. If you tile in front of a dishwasher without removing the old tile, then you will have trouble ever removing the dishwasher - it is sort of stuck in a hole then. Same is true for any cabinetry in a room - you are raising the floor around it and it then sits in a hole and makes future changes more difficutl. You have issues at stairways, and transitions. If you tile under the dishwasher or a slide in range with a second level of tile, then they won't fit back in properly. If you do decide to do this, purchase extra tile and store it so you will have it if you ever want to move anything around.
December 9, 2012 at 12:46PM     
PRO
M.A.D. Megan Arquette Design
I laughed at the 'move' comment. It looks like you must live in a desert-y area and someone wanted to keep it cool . I'd tear it out and replace with a wood. In the long run, I think that's the answer. It will boost the value of your home, for sure.
December 9, 2012 at 12:54PM     
em57
I wouldn't risk tile over tile. If you want the tile "look" again there are laminates that look like tile. It is the stuff in between the existing tile and the engineered hardwood or laminate that allows the change to happen and has some 'give'. If you have tile everywhere else it sounds like you need a break from it.
Also, have you talked to any paint experts that might be able to paint it? It wouldn't last for ever but with lots of area rugs it might be feasible. It all depends on budget but engineered hardware is still my best suggestion.
December 9, 2012 at 12:55PM     
tennisanyone
I think it is beautiful. Add a rug ,wall color to the entire space , accessorizes and drapes and it won't stand out so much. Honestly, I noticed the pink couch first instead of the floor. Use the chest as a coffee table instead as an end table.
December 9, 2012 at 1:04PM     
creeser
Before ripping out the floor since it's in good shape, try some paint and curtains to see if you get something you like. It would be less expensive to try that than install a new floor and you can always rip it up later. If you went with the paint, I'd try a mid-tone gray. Anything too light and the floor will still take center stage. Then for curtains, something lush that will catch your attention, then add a rug and see what you think of it all.
December 9, 2012 at 1:28PM     
amberdip
The tile is different but it totally suits the area you're living in by the looks of things. Before ripping everything out I would try to redecorate with some neutral colors that suit the green. The decorating in there now does not link with the tile. You need to pick a style and stick to it to make the whole project come together. Think you could make this look awesome w/ the right decoratins. Try some natural looks. Good luck!
December 9, 2012 at 1:35PM     
Natalie
Love all your fun pieces---the floor is soooooo bad. I would change it to something light---check into porcelain tiles which look like wood. Good Luck! [houzz=
]
December 9, 2012 at 1:36PM     
patriciamaia
We are in the Tampa Bay Area in FL. House now is landscaped.
December 9, 2012 at 1:39PM     
perreaul
Since you offer three choices, I'd say the simplest solution is best: redecorate. That green tile is unusual and gorgeous. But it requires careful attention to make it liveable. I'd go for neutral and uniform sofa and chairs and carpet--more cream than sand-- to temper down the demands of the floor. bright warm (not pink) cushions, and nothing fussy or elaborate. I'd also add plants of large and dramatic shape and colours. Do let us know what you decide. JMP
December 9, 2012 at 1:54PM     
patriciamaia
Thank you all for voting. You are a tremendous help Houzz! Please share ideas, these floors are the only issue for a beautiful home.
December 9, 2012 at 2:14PM   
tennisanyone
I would consult with an interior decorator for about an hour. One session can solve your entire problem, although I don't think it is a problem. Would be worth the money so they can see your entire space and light issues.
December 9, 2012 at 2:26PM     
patriciamaia
Thank you tennisanyone. I have consulted with two ID. One wants to work with the floor and redecorate with furniture, carpeting, paint; the other wants to jack hammer tile out and replace, then decorate. The price difference is huge. We like the simplicity of Scan furniture.
December 9, 2012 at 2:47PM   
decoenthusiaste
It will work - green is a color from nature. Can't go wrong with it.
December 9, 2012 at 2:50PM     
Natalie
Hi again! I found a pic which might inspire you and could work with the green tile. The palette is muted,-perhaps you could slipcover the pink sofa and add toss pillows for some interest. The real question you have to ask yourself is what do you prefer---the floor or the fun colors of your furnishings? Once that is answered you can move forward. An inexpensive fix could suffice for now. Good Luck!
[houzz=
]
December 9, 2012 at 2:57PM     
apple_pie_order
The photos in your ideabook look contemporary, colorful and eclectic. I think the slightly patterned muted green tile will work out fine as a backdrop. You need a decorator to work with you who respects your taste and fun style. For the cost of tearing out the entire tile floor, you can instead buy a lot of new furniture, rugs and artwork. The vibe you are heading toward is like this photo from your ideabook:
ABC Dragoo
and this one:
Florida Beachfront Residence - Vero Beach, USA
December 9, 2012 at 3:19PM     
sacapuntaslapioz
go for soft grey on walls and accents in orange or turquise. I like the tile.
December 9, 2012 at 3:57PM     
tennisanyone
Go the with the decorator who wants to work with your floor. Maybe the other one who wanted to rip it out didn't know how to work with it. That would be a red flag. I think this space could be amazing. I can't wait to see the end result. I hope you post as you go along. Good luck.
December 9, 2012 at 4:07PM     
patriciamaia
All great ideas, I am so grateful. I am impressed by your responses. I think I will keep the tile and work with a decorator. Will post the 'after' photo.
December 9, 2012 at 5:30PM     
penelopesdreamydesigns
Hi Patricia, I liked the idea perreaul suggested with keeping the floor and changing things in the room, here is a beautiful room with lots of plants and a dark floor that is stunning you might like.

December 9, 2012 at 7:05PM     
patriciamaia
Tomorrow we will get an estimate of the cost to remove tile and then re tile. I think I got a bit ahead of myself because I have a project budget. Green is also the color money.
December 12, 2012 at 9:10AM   
Nancy Hehmann
Pantone just announced that green is going to be this years "color" Even in clothing it is supposed to be making a resurgence. But, it is limiting decorating wise.
December 12, 2012 at 9:19AM   
nasmijati
I would work with the tile. It is so expensive to replace, and it is in excellent condition.

If you feel you absolutely must cover it for a particular room's decor, you could use a floor cloth to make your eclectic style spectacular!
December 12, 2012 at 9:37AM     
patriciamaia
Thank you for all the comments. Green is beautiful out doors, the challenge with green in doors is the decorating...paint, lighting, furniture. I am feeling more challenged by the green than defeated. Any thoughts?
December 12, 2012 at 9:52AM   
jagood
Sometimes it's just too difficult to see what "could be" when we're staring at "what is". Can you empty the main rooms you've shown in the photo and paint the walls first so you're not being overwhelmed by the teal and yellow walls and all of the furniture in the room that clashes with the floor?
December 12, 2012 at 10:10AM     
patriciamaia
The empty space.
December 12, 2012 at 10:32AM     
patriciamaia
The empty space.
December 12, 2012 at 10:33AM     
anabel_chacon
I think what is important is to take your time. Leave the tiles for now and work with decorating around it. You'd be amazed how time can change our first impressions. I think jagood has the right idea.
December 12, 2012 at 10:46AM     
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Keep the tile and redecorate - lotsa great suggestion already - BTW - love your home!
December 12, 2012 at 10:46AM     
alisonheppell
Its very classy dont tear it out .,plenty of big plants and light wood ...fab!
December 12, 2012 at 11:22AM     
alisonheppell
Its always cheaper to get a perfect paint mix,than a new floor
December 12, 2012 at 11:26AM     
PRO
Hurst Total Home, Inc.
Try a product like Avaire snap together floor tiles. They can go over ANY floor material other than carpet and are laid without thinset. You still grout them, but it saves you the cost & time of tear out of the old, and also means you don't have to install a new underlayment or thinset, which again is also a cost & time saver. It is real porcelain tile, and look beautiful when installed. They have some colors in 12x12 and others in 18x18 available. Will increase floor height, but a transition strip will solve that problem just fine. Good Luck! -Katie Hurst, CKBR, UDCP
December 12, 2012 at 12:55PM     
gypsyrose17
you could do carpet tiles...or perhaps just a natural color woven hemp room size area rug....your zebra skin rug could lie on top of it to add depth and more texture.
December 12, 2012 at 1:30PM     
PRO
ct design studio
While it may not be your first choice, it could be the background to bright airy contemporary spaces with scandanavian inspired furniture, warm whites, blonde or dark woods. Instead of accenting with teal and hot pink, use rusty orange and aubergine.
Kitchen + Dining + Staircase
Wapping E1W: City Pied à Terre

I never recommend going over tile with anything and replacing would probably eat your whole budget. I believe you can still have great spaces and someday if you decide to do the floors you can.
December 12, 2012 at 1:54PM     
jagood
Wow - empty and repainted it's looking very good! I personally like the tile, especially in a warm climate, and think you could have a fabulous space with the proper area rugs, etc, depending upon your esthetics.
December 12, 2012 at 2:03PM     
nasmijati
Here are some ideas to look at the space in a whimsical way, even if it is only for one room in the house...

You could have the ceiling painted light sky blue, or even painted to look like the sky. Put several large ficus, palm, lemon, and Seville orange trees in the room. In the first photo, the pool is green, the sky is blue, and the "walls" are orange/yellow. With wicker furniture, this might work as a "Florida" room.

Another idea is to use an aqua area rug with a different color border. Again, houseplant trees and a sky blue ceiling will help. You have some fun, vibrant colors in your furniture, and in a few of your Ideabook photos. A Bohemian theme might work with your existing belongings.

The third photo is trompe loeil, just to pretend that you live in a great hall with dark green marble floors and this fancy ceiling.
December 12, 2012 at 3:36PM   
nasmijati
Here are some ideas to look at the space in a whimsical way, even if it is only for one room in the house...

You could have the ceiling painted light sky blue, or even painted to look like the sky. Put several large ficus, palm, lemon, and Seville orange trees in the room. In the first photo, the pool is green, the sky is blue, and the "walls" are orange/yellow. With wicker furniture, this might work as a "Florida" room.

Another idea is to use an aqua area rug with a different color border. Again, houseplant trees and a sky blue ceiling will help. You have some fun, vibrant colors in your furniture, and in a few of your Ideabook photos. A Bohemian theme might work with your existing belongings.

The third photo is trompe loeil, just to pretend that you live in a great hall with dark green marble floors and this fancy ceiling.
December 12, 2012 at 3:37PM   
patriciamaia
Just had a consultation with a contractor to re tile. Demo work only to cost $10,000 and biz zillion particles of dust. Then the cost of tiling 2400 square feet, unknown. Thank you for voting, I will re decorate.
December 13, 2012 at 7:46AM     
patriciamaia
Just had a consultation with a contractor to re tile. Demo work only to cost $10,000 and biz zillion particles of dust. Then the cost of tiling 2400 square feet, unknown. Thank you for voting, I will re decorate.
December 13, 2012 at 7:47AM     
arlys baker
These days they can spray tiles. You could go totally different with just a spray and not as big as cost as a floating timber floor. We had our tiles taken from 1970's brown to off white and they look great. Ring a tiler or check with a building company. They spray it on. Good Luck and Happy New Year!
December 28, 2012 at 9:41PM   
patriciamaia
Thank you Arlys for another decorating idea. We hired the decorator and the transformation is happening. First with new paint, Sherwin Williams, Kalim Beige in an eggshell finish. Perfect color choice, the green floors are no longer the focal point, amazing! We have met with a lighting engineer as well because my ceilings soar to sixteen feet. I will post some pictures. Happy New Year.
December 29, 2012 at 5:21AM   
patriciamaia
The re decorating process...
December 29, 2012 at 5:25AM     
patriciamaia
Re decorated, almost done.
January 28, 2013 at 2:30PM     
patriciamaia
360 degrees, almost done.
January 28, 2013 at 2:34PM     
tennisanyone
So glad you did not rip up the tiles. The space looks great. Love the wall color and rug. As Houzzers , we give endless opinions, and sometimes we never hear or see what happens next. Thanks for sharing the end result.
January 28, 2013 at 3:13PM     
peetsoo
Agree...........very nice to see what you decided to do in the end :)
January 28, 2013 at 3:25PM     
patriciamaia
Foyer lighting, coming soon.
January 28, 2013 at 3:32PM     
lorablanco
Fgrgfhffdcss-11287
January 28, 2013 at 3:38PM   
pud07
I love the floor. Is classy and keeps you from being another cookie cutter predictable home. Change your wall colors and furniture to compliment you floor and I'll bet you get many oohs and ahas from future guests :-) my vote.....keep the floor!
January 28, 2013 at 3:48PM     
penelopesdreamydesigns
Looking good, thanks for the update, a tall green plant or two would look fabulous too!
January 31, 2013 at 9:22AM     
patriciamaia
The green tile floors and the new decor. Fini...
February 12, 2013 at 6:42AM     
tennisanyone
Nice job. Just move the couch on the rug. It
Is nice to see the pictures. I love that art piece
Behind the couch.
February 12, 2013 at 3:35PM   
Aja Mazin
WOW!
February 12, 2013 at 3:55PM     
PRO
JWinteriors
Foyer rug should be larger to create a grand entry...I would also add an entry table, still allowing for the door to swing open. Most homeowners open one door only and keep the other locked down. If this is the case..play up the opposite side with table, lamp, art, and accessories. Welcome your friends into your home and wow them with their first glance! The picture behind the couch seems to be hung a little high on the wall. Could be an illusion.
February 12, 2013 at 4:20PM   
patriciamaia
Still decorating. Needed color, added pink media chairs to Man cave.
June 1, 2013 at 6:02AM   
patriciamaia
Lanai is an extension of living room. New decor.
June 1, 2013 at 6:05AM     
perreaul
Terrific changes. What colour are your walls in this photo?
JMP
June 1, 2013 at 6:22AM   
patriciamaia
Outdoors, Sherwin Williams Practical Biege. Indoors, SW Kilim Biege.
June 1, 2013 at 6:46AM   
Aja Mazin
Did you keep the multi coloured rug?
June 1, 2013 at 9:52AM     
agochic
We just had our floors done, with wood look tile, so we can keep the cool factor but have te look of wood. It looks fantastic and is Low maintenance
June 1, 2013 at 9:54AM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Wood is always good ideal. Not sure of tiles though. Try painting. Add area rug. I like your style. By the way wood is still cool to the feet.
June 1, 2013 at 10:00AM   
patriciamaia
Main living area with multi colored rug.
June 1, 2013 at 5:21PM     
patriciamaia
Master bedroom re decorated. Found sheep skin rugs at a consignment shop in Tampa area.
June 1, 2013 at 5:26PM     
patriciamaia
Master Bedroom.
June 1, 2013 at 5:27PM   
Aja Mazin
ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!
June 5, 2013 at 7:26AM     
patriciamaia
Thx. Been in the house for a year now, just, just starting to feel that it is ours with new decor. Big thank you s to our decorator, Becky Cormier at Scan Design in Tampa and Matt Goodband at Complete Lighting in Tampa. And to us for taking our time.
June 5, 2013 at 7:41AM     
decoenthusiaste
Aja - looking for your chalk paint recipe and hoping to catch you somewhere.
June 5, 2013 at 2:04PM   
patriciamaia
We sold the house. Purchased in 2012 for $355,500 and sold it on Monday for $389,000. No more green tile.
April 30, 2014 at 7:45AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.