Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen backsplash!
juliekinal
December 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My brand new house/kitchen... Want to put a backsplash in to make it a little more interesting but not sure what to do. I like the look of the mosaic glass/stone tiles and also ones with stainless steel accents, but this is my first time doing something like this and I'm not sure what exactly would look good! Anyone have ideas for me?!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I think a glass or glass/metal mosaic in a horizontal pattern would work well. Just pick up some tones from your countertop. Given that you have the existing 4" backsplash already, I would put the tile only on the back wall - I would not turn the corners with it.
December 9, 2012 at 1:23PM     
catblanc
Subway tile
December 9, 2012 at 2:19PM     
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, subway tiles would be a timeless and versatile option.
December 9, 2012 at 2:32PM     
Elise
First, talk to an electrician to remove the many outlets on the wall and rewire to a plug strip hung at the base of the upper cabinets, behind an undercabinet lighting fixture. Then go look at tiles and decide what designs you like best, if you like glass, ceramic or stone, neutral or colorful.

A small rectangular tile, in a running bond pattern, with alot of whites and tans to bring out the colors in you countertop would look great. Glass tile is very popular, but more expensive than ceramic. This is an easy DIY project if you have the skills. You can also purchase ready-made mosaic patterns in 12x12 sheets to install.

Consider that if you are planning on reselling within the next 5 years, go neutral. If you are planning on staying for longer than that, talk to a designer experienced with tile and think about highlighting your arched doorways and other room features like a fireplace and tying it all together.
December 9, 2012 at 2:33PM     
Natalie
Shell, Glass, and Stone... Pretty home... Good Luck! :)
[houzz=
]
December 9, 2012 at 2:40PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I agree with catblanc. Since you already have the 4"h granite backsplash, I think you need to pick something that will blend - otherwise, you'll have a line of 2 different materials segmenting the wall. Whether you go stone or glass (which I think might look better because it would have a shiny surface like the granite), make sure you go with a rather homogeneous look like catblanc has shown. Too many shades/pattern will, again, not blend. Sonoma Tile makes a nice linear glass tile called MoSuprema, which has flat glass and a crackle glass which gives somewhat the appearance of metal (stainless st.). I don't know if this might be too busy, but you could try it out - if it works, it's a beautiful tile. http://www.sonomatilemakers.com/ProductLine.aspx?prod-line-id=3
December 9, 2012 at 2:45PM     
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I agree with Elise about the plugs. With regards to the backsplash, it's a small area so I wouldn't get too busy. I've attached a few renderings so you can see the effect that the tiles above, and others have. I might recomend a small mosaic with colours from the counter or back painted glass, but that might be too plain. See what you think
December 9, 2012 at 3:12PM   
PRO
Horizontal lines, this stye would work but not with so may colours. One/two shades and not high contrast. Could end up too busy.
December 9, 2012 at 3:13PM     
PRO
vertical lines
December 9, 2012 at 3:14PM     
PRO
Because your stove has a back that's raised, it would probably be a cleaner look with a smaller tile, installer either horizontally or verticaly, but not a lot of contrast. The area seems to call for something a little more simple. A subway tile should be on the smaller scale or it will be too large for the space.
If you want to bring some pop into the space use it in your artwork and wall colour etc.

Good Luck in your new home. Hope these helped.
December 9, 2012 at 3:16PM   
apple tree
Good ideas!

I love Carolyn's renderings.

I have a similar space; however, my cabinets are white, and I will probably have a Radianz countertop
(fits my budget).

I was thinking of a gray counertop on the stove side, and a white countertop on the sink side.

Any ideas for the backsplash?

Any ideas on which Radianz to use that look like:
a) Ceasarstone Raven (?) and
b) White Princess (?) quartz?

Thanks so very much for your time!
December 9, 2012 at 3:28PM   
Natalie
Thanks Carolyn C for those pics. I do like the shell blend I suggested---though the photoshop image you uploaded is HUGE compared to the actual tile-it still gives a pretty good idea of how it would look, but with much less contrast. For this kitchen, I think the tile should run horizontal because of the layout of the room. Nice! :)
December 9, 2012 at 3:32PM   
carolannr
White subway tile on the back wall only Sometime simple is better.
December 9, 2012 at 3:34PM   
PRO
Natalie, here it is turned and smaller. I find it a bit busy, what do you think? I like the size and shape of the tile but think it would look better if there was a bit less contrast and the colour was closer to the colours in the counter. But then that's only my opinion and I tend to like things cleaner looking :-)
December 9, 2012 at 3:40PM   
PRO
Here's the white and it seems a bit stark. The subway style would work, but perhaps something in the counter, Also, if you like texture consider a split face to add interest, see attached
December 9, 2012 at 4:53PM   
PRO
Split face and Versailles, but in the right colours - these are just examples. 1 x 2 or 2 x 3 would be a good size - largest would be 2 x 4
December 9, 2012 at 5:00PM   
PRO
Also, in the above styles but glass or glass mixed with natural stone.
December 9, 2012 at 5:01PM   
catblanc
subway tile comes in more then just white. They come in tumbled marble, glass, really any finish that tiles are made. the subway refers to the size and shape of the tile.
December 9, 2012 at 5:04PM   
PRO
Thanks Catblanc, I undestand that, there was a reference above to "white" subway tile and that's what I was referring to. :-) Love the subway style, but just concerned that pure white is too stark.
December 9, 2012 at 5:11PM   
missangel99
Have you considered ledger stone? Quite popular in our area of the country. Very pretty installed. What color is your granite, looks pinkish.
December 9, 2012 at 5:33PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I think ledger stone is beautiful, but I also think it could be a maintenance nightmare, especially in a kitchen. I don't want to have to dust my backsplash!
December 9, 2012 at 5:53PM   
missangel99
Couldn't be any worse then scrubbing tile, either way you have maintenance with any backsplash.
December 9, 2012 at 6:04PM   
Natalie
Yes, it looks like there is a lot of contrast. When I browsed for the tile, I was going off the last pic (close-up) of the counter/cabs and the second one showing the white trim, tile color, and carpet color. Oh well-thought it looked sharp. :) Thanks...
December 9, 2012 at 6:23PM   
PRO
Art Palette
I would like you to think twice before you put glass tiles. It is like a fad that will soon be over. If you want something beautiful that is going to be made just for you, you may want to check this site, www.artpalette.net . I will recommend not to make it too busy with patterned tiles all over the back splash. You may want to go simple mosaic in monotone or some brick kind of pattern on rest of the back splash. An area of interest behind the cook top will be good.
December 9, 2012 at 6:39PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
@missangel99 - I think the ledger stone is very different than a glazed tile or a similar flat material because it is 3-dimensional. Cleaning it would be different than simply wiping down tile. I have seen this used in showers and think the same thing. Water, I would imagine, can actually sit on the edges - same for dust or even something bubbling over in a kitchen!
December 9, 2012 at 7:51PM     
PRO
Art Palette
I personally do not know of any white soapstone personally. The ones that I have and seen are grey tones mostly and in dark green tones with rust veins called Iron Green.
December 9, 2012 at 8:56PM   
Grace Reed
I agree...a smaller horizontal pattern that ties in the c-top & the prominent SS (range, OTR & refrigerator) will look nice. (Personally, I like Natalie's mosaic or similar. And, I wouldn't have stainless in the mosaic; it's too trendy). And, the outlet covers are an eyesore. Ultimately, have fun and do something that makes you happy! PS Have you considered using molding, for ex., to dress up the back of the island? I have lots of examples in my ISLANDS Idea-book, if interested. Good luck!
December 9, 2012 at 10:09PM     
Rivka McLean
I would stick to a tried and true tile without to much surface texture. Smooth tiles with wavy edges are nice and much easier to maintain. I would not going too busy on the tile it would offset the nice counter top. Metal is difficult to maintain and then can present a problem matching cabinet hardware. Bring some samples home from a tiling store. You can always bring in accessories to add punch but tile is something you have to live with.
December 9, 2012 at 11:15PM   
juliekinal
You guys are all awesome! Thanks a TON for the amazing ideas! :) I really appreciate it!
December 10, 2012 at 7:04AM   
PRO
Trends in Tile
Beautiful kitchen!!! I agree with a few people above.....stick with a classic subway in a complimentary tone. Maybe a beveled edge?
December 10, 2012 at 12:15PM