Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help to finish my living room
hustlep2
December 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am trying to finish my living room. Here is what I have so far. I'm not sure what color to paint the wall the TV is on and I feel like the room is missing something but I'm not sure what...Any suggestion will be a great help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
Hi Hustlep2 - It's always a bit hard to decipher actual colors from a photo, so correct me if I'm wrong. But it -looks- like you have a blue-gray similar to the shade in your rug, already on one of the walls, and in the hallway? I would either pick that color up and continue it all the way around, or go a couple shades darker down the same strip for behind the TV. I wouldn't want to darken the whole room, but using a deeper shade behind a black TV helps blend it away. Similarly, you -could- use the mocha color it appears you are testing - but I wouldn't use it anywhere else except behind the TV, because there is already so much brown in the space. Either way, I would use the gray-blue on your other 3 walls to break up all the neutrals. The dark tone of the curtains brings in way too much visual "weight" - so I would change those to a pale neutral, or a color as close to the gray-blue paint as possible. For the latter, you might have to find fabric and have panels made. I might also consider painting the back of your entry door the same color as your TV wall. I feel two white doors that close together would be create a big "white corner." Finally, I would bring in some items for contrast - either a secondary accent color, or something mirrored or metallic. A pair of lamps flanking the TV is one thought. Hope that helps.
2 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 5:53PM
PRO
Createahome
The curtains are a definite problem. If you have to have curtains make them beige. I would choose a light taupe/beige (from the rug) to paint behind the TV and use the same color for the curtains. It will make the room warmer. I would leave the side wall the color it is since it matches the rug. I would find grey-blue accent pillows (similar color of the of the rug and side wall). Your testing color splash is too dark. I would paint the front door the same as the closet door. I hope this helps.
2 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 7:13PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
I agree with paintcolourhelp, keep with the blue grey, I would suggest a shade very similar to the sofa,. If you paint the wall in that neutral beige it is too similar to the accent chair color. By painting it the same color as the sofa, you are coordinate with the existing walls, the chair will contrast nicely, it will create visual balance as well as working beautifully with your rug.

I do agree that the room would be greatly enhanced by drapes in a different style and color, perhaps similar to the accent chair.
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 7:47PM
Natalie
Hi---this color palette (warm gray and muted aqua) would be perfect for you. Straight, tailored window panels in an off-white hue. Good Luck! [houzz=Bowman Stairs][houzz=Bowman Game Room]
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 7:55PM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I agree with all the previous comments - the drapes are the first thing that catches the eye in this room. In order to make the TV wall the focal point of this room then the drapes have to "disappear" and blend in to the wall colour. (Do they have to be drawn? It would look better to have just side panels). I would suggest you wallpaper the TV wall to make it eye-catching. Find a pattern that has the colours in the area rug. Also, look for ways that you can add some punches of colour, texture and pattern in your room - cushions, lampshades, art, accessories. It will give your room more character and interest. Have fun!
2 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 9:32PM
inkwitch
THe first thing that struck me about this room was that chair stuck in the corner. WHat purpose is that? Do you plan to shout at each other across the room? Think intimate conversation and handing a cup of coffee or a plate of fruitcake to a guest (or a beer and bowl of popcorn). Arm's length. Drag that chair over to the sofa. Make sure all the front feet of all seating is on the rug. Square up the sofa with the TV and console.

You're coffee table really isn't to scale to the room or the furniture. Those wouldmake great extra kid sitting or side tables, but don't work as a coffee table. Something rustic and plain.

You don't have to have anything in that corner. A plant. Love the little table.

What is the seating off-side to the left? Another chair?

Definitely change the curtains. Dark curtains are tricky and rarely used for a reason. THese look "over-filled" and poufy. What's behind them? I'd like to see the windows.
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 4:15AM
tennisanyone
As everyone said, change the drapes. Get a bigger coffee table and bring that gray odd chair into the conversation area and put a big plant in that corner. Take down those book shelves and small mirrors. Add two end tables and a chandalier if you don't need that fan or maybe an updated fan. You are off to a great start.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 4:46AM
Jayme H.
Good start, but I would remove the drapes, too distracting and claustrophobic. I would keep with the greyish color, not a new one on t.v. wall. I would try to create another seating group on one side of room and remove chairs from corners. Corner chair may need to go-don't see where it would fit. I would possibly move the sofa to an angle closer to the window also. Room size/scale is often hard to tell by pics, but u seem to have a great start.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 5:41AM
Leigh Durand
I would add a console table behind the sofa to further define the space as living room versus hallway. I don't think you have enough space, but I have also seen open display units (no backs, both sides open) used to create an entrance area, so you don't just walk into the living room. I also feel the floating book shelves should be changed, there is too much going on behind the chairs with the shelves, pictures and the plates? In my opinion the floating books shelves should be stacked not staggered on the wall, it is too busy. I love the way you dressed the little table in the hall.
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 5:48AM
michigammemom
I agree that the dark navy drapes are too heavy and not the correct length. I also notice that there is a radiator behind the curtains. For fire hazard purposes you might want to consider a different type of window treatment altogether like a woven shade. Like many of the previous posters I like the blue gray paint continued on the TV wall. I would also suggest shifting your area rug slightly as the proportions are off balance and draw your sofa into the room further. Some tan and blue throw pillows on the sofa would also brighten up the space.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 5:56AM
PRO
Carly at Mochi Home
I agree about the curtains. Start by taking those down and I think you will get a fresh look at the space. I also agree that the paint color is nice. How about removing the curtains and then maybe some be focal-point art on both sides of the tv?
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 6:18AM
tennisanyone
The couch looks off center in the picture and so does the rug, try moving it down to the left and the taking those two chairs and putting them by the window to start.
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 6:28AM
decoenthusiaste
Try built-in corner bookcases where the two chairs are. Center the sofa properly, do the drape thing and move the two chairs to flank the sofa. Your room will be a bit smaller scale than this one, and your large square chair may have to go.

0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 6:37AM
nomadkath
could you give the room dimensions? its hard to tell the shape of the room and rug from the different photos......
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 6:50AM
hustlep2
Thank you guys so much!!! The second I opened the box of curtains I knew it wasn't right! I'm having a hard time finding ones I like without spending an arm and a leg. The whole wall is a window opening up to the street, so I do need something I can block the view from the public. I agree on the paint color I think I will just finish off the room with it. Sorry the dogs keep moving the carpet the protector underneath isn't strong enough. I was thinking of moving the shelves all to the corner to the left of the tv. Then taking that chair and moving it to the front of the window with another accent chair?? I can't move the other corner chair (husband...nuff said ;). I would put the stool table in between those to chairs. I do want more patterns or something in here to break it up but I'm afraid because the carpet. I love it but I don't want it to get to busy. Welcome Home Designs - I love the idea of wallpaper but I'm scared because of the carpet what do you suggest????

I have ALOT to rethink Now that you guys have looked at it I'm starting to see the rearrangement of furn. etc. Thanks I was soooooo stuck!!
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 7:10AM
hustlep2
the wall with the TV is 15ft, The wall with the window is 13ft
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 7:15AM
hustlep2
I was also thinking of painting the door a high gloss black along with the hand rail and banister??
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 7:16AM
decoenthusiaste
Have you checked out Country Curtains yet?
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 7:17AM
nomadkath
how about textured single color wall paper behind the TV? Lowes has a bamboo, and Home Depot lots of grasscloth.........might make that wall warmer and less stark. I was also trying to figure out a way to pull the sofa closer to the TV, and maybe the grey corner chair up onto the rug to create a cozier seating area, and allow traffic to pass behind the sofa and chair, instead of thru them
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 7:32AM
Leigh Durand
I think you should definitely paint the front door, but I would paint it white like the closet door and keep the area light and airy, but if you decide to paint it black, try to find a blue or grey black that won't be so stark against your blue/grey walls.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 7:36AM
PRO
Createahome
I think the black door is risky. Look at the picture and you will see that you will repeat the mistake of the dark curtains with a similar one on the other side...
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 9:23AM
Natalie
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 9:39AM
PRO
Bravehart Building
Is that a red ottoman in the space? I would paint the TV/credenza wall a tone of red. Make the black objects disappear into it and make the wall 'sit back' into the background....to not be too prominent in the space.
Reds are difficult to work with so get chips and testers and try it out!
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 9:39AM
yvonnecmartin
My problem with the room is that I don't see any lamps. Do you ever read in this room? Is the overhead fan/fixture enough light for a conversation? I like the chair that fits in the corner--it looks as if it might function for conversation with someone on the couch. However, I wonder if you could make it a little reading corner by attaching a lamp to the wall and maybe group your wall shelves together on one side wall of this alcove.

I agree, ditch the drapes; get a new coffee table; move the other chair to allow conversation with someone on the sofa; center the sofa and rug...
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 11:55AM
tp90sas00
I would add a narrow table behind the couch. It can act as a partiion from the main entryway. I would also consider lighter drapes
0 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 7:13AM
Jayme H.
I agree with new table, lamps, not those drapes/rearrange furniture for seating groups! Nice place!
0 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 11:22AM