Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help with dining room
skinna
December 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
im lookiing to transform the look of this room..i want to purchase a server/buffet. i really dont know if i should stick with cream color or go with different tone in the same paula deen line. plan on adding board and batten on wall & have pottery barn celeste chandielier also & beige for wall. I absolutely love this room Palmetto Bluff - Private Residence but unfortunately i cant get rid of my table..my husband will have a fit since i havent had it long. just wanted to attached so you all could get an idea of look im going for. please HELP!

Thank you for reporting this. Undo
skinna
the corner cabinet is staying, the taller dark cabinet is finding a new home...these are servers im thinking about, i just dont know what color wood tone to go with..help..please look at my idea book photos to see the other dining rooms i like
December 9, 2012 at 5:29PM     
skinna
the 1st one comes in 3 colors, cream, dark molasis or this seafoam color
December 9, 2012 at 5:30PM   
judianna20
Take the shades off the chandy and get the matching sideboard. Paint the wall above the chair rail something like BM Stratton blue. Put a sisal rug on the floor as the one you have is too small by about three feet around.

December 9, 2012 at 5:50PM     
collettec
I wouldn't go all cream. I would introduce another color on your cabinet.
December 9, 2012 at 6:03PM   
PRO
City Girls Decor
I add a colorful table runner that matches your decor!
December 9, 2012 at 6:06PM   
skinna
i think all cream would be too much also..but will it look ok next to corner cabinet & would you go dark or seafoam? i think the dark might be more timeless..not so trendy
December 9, 2012 at 6:07PM     
Anne Gibney
For the look you are going for go with rustic wood one. have you thought about painting your table?, place chair covers in white on the chairs. I see you have two other cabinets in the room, are you keeping both? I agree with getting a bigger rug as well.
December 9, 2012 at 6:14PM   
decoenthusiaste
Measure your table top and buy an oval rug 4 feet larger for chair scoot and sit space. Then measure to see which piece of furniture you can add that won't cramp the rug. What does your mirror reflect? Would be best if it reflected the chandy, which does need an update with removal of the shades. Repost when you get the new pieces.
December 9, 2012 at 6:14PM   
skinna
the dark cabinet is leaving, corner cabinet stays, & i have the pottery barn celeste chandy that just needs put up..
December 9, 2012 at 6:18PM   
decoenthusiaste
Get the chandy up and post a new picture. Don't leave the rug out of the equation as far as measurements go. If you put a server in where the dark cabinet is, what footprint will it take up? I do think I'd prefer the closed ones. They'll serve for storage and you won't have issues about what to put on the shelves at the bottom and dusting them all the time.
December 9, 2012 at 6:23PM   
Carmen Haram
Agree with bigger rug; could get one similar to Paris Home photo. Recovering the seats of dining chairs is easy to DIY ; again, choose fabric in keeping with that style...shades off of chandelier, for sure. I would change the matte of your framed picture to white; curious what color you want on the walls? that might influence your decision of cabinet...have you considered the khaki wall color for your dining wall (the same paint color in the Paris Home photo...)just some thoughts. hope it helps!
December 9, 2012 at 6:30PM   
skinna
thanks for all your ideas..will be awhile until i can actually get this room done..hoping i can talk my husband into a new dining table...problem would be solved :)
December 9, 2012 at 6:37PM   
skinna
like this room also, which would probarly work
December 9, 2012 at 6:43PM     
collettec
Actually I like the shade of lighter natural wood sideboard that you have in the Palmetto residence inspiration pic. Think a shade like that would work well. Think the shade in the fourth pic might be a bit dark with the cream.
December 9, 2012 at 7:51PM   
PRO
karen paul interiors
The Celeste chandelier will be too small for your table if is is 48" round. You will need a new light at 36" if that is the case. The width of your table, minus 12" is what your diameter for your chandelier should be. Your Palmetto Bluff photo is all about architectural elements. The least important elements in that room has to do with the actual furnishings. So, you might want to consider what you can do to alter or to improve the bones of your room beyond the board and batten treatment. You may be in the hopes that your current room can achieve the look of Palmetto, by simply changing out the furniture and/or chandelier. What specifically do you love about the photo? With that information, then Houzzers can really hone in on what needs to be changed to get you toward your ideal look.
December 9, 2012 at 8:50PM     
Ramona
I agree with Karen. What do you like about the Palmetto table and what don't you like about your own? The Palmetto room is filled with windows. You don't seem to have any windows. I think you need to identify what attracts you in that photo and then look for elements like that in other photos without all those windows. You will get an idea how those elements work in a different environment. Your table can be refinished to match the rugged look of the Palmetto table. I way prefer round tables for a zillion reasons.
December 9, 2012 at 9:22PM   
Catherine Guest
Based on all the elements you have indicated you like I would try to stick to pale tonal colours and think about light colours (rugs, frames, cabinet etc) to lift the room. Have a low level buffet to keep a feeling of space, your table and chairs are nice and are simple enough to maybe invest in a pale and unusual/ French type as in photos you show. Something antique and upcycled in a contemporary way may look good. I have attached something like, if you imagine in white/cream with nice display.
December 10, 2012 at 1:28AM     
oliverock
December 10, 2012 at 3:47AM   
nnif
everything in the room is too heavy for your table. bigger rug, natural fiber or petite pointe...large mirror, antique painted would open up your room. think pale colors and add texture.
December 10, 2012 at 4:08AM   
Jayme H.
Is your wainscoat going to be white? The pics look more white or slightly off white than cream. The pic of the room u like/ shows the beige on wall and whitish on wainscoating. If those two colors are used, the darker sideboard looks great against all the light...plus your table is light, so a darker sideboard would look better, I think.
December 10, 2012 at 8:27AM   
PRO
Prime Walls
The walls in your "dream photo" can be achieved quite easily, and will be a great foundation for the furnishings and accessories you complete the room with. Check out these great textured pieces, they match the style you are trying to achieve and will develop a wonderful sense of unity in the space.

These wall coverings can be installed for a verticle or horizontal aesthetic!
http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/645 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/682 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/671

Prime walls.
December 10, 2012 at 9:47AM   
cheries
Love the buffet Catherine Guest suggested, it would look beautiful with the table and chairs you already have, a similar mirror above the buffet (as pictured in Palmetto Bluff photo)

Does your table come with a leaf? If so, instead of one chair on each side, go with two on each side, then purchase 2 upholstered chairs for each end of the table in the white/cream fabric you like, paint the walls a nice cashmere color using the Palmetto Bluff as your inspiration for colors and end chairs. You could also use slip covers in cream fabric if you prefer the upholstered look for your existing chairs.

So two more upholstered chairs, the beautiful buffet and mirror, paint the walls, a beautiful large rug, the rest is basically accessories, some chunky candles white flowers in crystal vases and you are done!
December 10, 2012 at 1:18PM     
luvleestuff
Ditto what cheries said. I would bring in a buffet/sideboard piece in natural wood color like in the Palmetto Bluff photo. Fingers crossed you have a leaf or maybe you can get one! Good Luck!
December 10, 2012 at 5:46PM     
cheries
Hi luvleestuff, I well remember your art work and rooms, thank you for the compliment on my suggestion, it means a lot coming from you : )
December 10, 2012 at 6:07PM     
skinna
the table has the leaf in it as shown..so if i add another chair on each side & get two hostess chairs for ends ..i attached photos so you can see what it looks like with 2 chairs on side...i like cheries suggestions, im trying to keep this simple. I guess what i liked from the palmetto bluff photo is the trestle table, all the different textures, the calmness & simplicity of the room. im going for simple elegance..i measured the room & based on the size the celeste chandy will work, i also ordered the matching sconce...so big questions: what color server...dark or cream or more natural wood tone, two chairs on sides & then 1 on each end, and do i go to trouble of board and batten (which wouldnt be a big deal, hubby could do) or just paint like inspiration photo..my fear is if i do board and batten , the cream server will get "lost"..will definately get bigger rug & mirror similiar to inspiration & of course new curtains...i was in a frilly stage at 1 point...ugh...
December 10, 2012 at 7:24PM   
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Hi skinna,
I would get a warm toned sideboard, not the same color as your creamy table. It's much more interesting to mix up the wood colors. I love these French style chandeliers fromm Currey and Co. http://www.curreycodealers.com/productgalleryhome.aspx?CategoryID=-20007
Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
December 10, 2012 at 7:37PM     
PRO
karen paul interiors
I agree with Charmean. I want you to go back to your Palmetto photo and spend several moments understanding why the room works, even beyond the architectural elements. Note the several wood shades and the contrast of the doors, the iron chandelier, the dark iron drapery poles....just to name some of what one can discern. It is in the contrasts and the essence of white established with the upholstery that makes this room charming and inviting. Charmean has mentioned a warm toned sideboard...and she is absolutely correct. When you look at your photo, look for the warmth that has been brought in to create a wonderful ambiance.
December 10, 2012 at 8:20PM     
cheries
Skinna,
Thank you for the pictures with the alternate chair arrangement. I think upholstered comfy chairs on either end would give it the look of your inspiration photograph and would look wonderful.

When you go shopping for the buffet take along your inspiration photo, it may help you to choose the color of wood you prefer and also you may find some similar accessories.

When I'm shopping and the right piece catches my eye I know that's it ! It's mine ! I think you will instinctively know when you see "it". Don't settle for "oh I guess this one will be ok", wait until you love, love, love it and you know that it is the perfect buffet for your room then you will always be happy with it .

Beautiful silk draperies on those windows for an elegant touch. Personally I would wait until everything else was done before I decided on the B & B.

Best, Cherie
December 10, 2012 at 8:21PM     
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Great advice Karen, sounds like experience to me.
December 10, 2012 at 8:27PM   
Helen Boltin
I personally think that the key to making this room look spectacular is to change the wall color. The finish of the corner cabinet and the dinette set are completely blending in with the walls. I agree that the large dark cabinet should go because it totally overwhelms the space. I really think that if you paint the walls a more vibrant appetizing color (i.e something in the line of a mid tone corral or even a mild orange) not sure what would work with the rest of the house. As for the server, I love the bluish gray one. The muted tone and the style of it would work very well with the light finishes on the other furnishings and a bright wall color would make everything stand out and pop!
December 10, 2012 at 8:34PM   
Ramona
If you like the finish of the table in the favorite room, why not find that finish in your buffet? You need color on the walls. I don't care what color, but you seem to want something subdued which is more than fine, but either paint the bottom slightly darker that the top or install some interest below the rail in some way. There are lots of alternatives. Personally, I'd look at a pale colored grass cloth. But you need ceiling height drapes in a wonderful fabric, not lace, those are too busy by far. And find yourself a mirror as wonderful at the one in the palmetto room. You need to bounce light around in the way it does in that big room with windows. I'd use glass candlesticks, etc., to continue the sparkle.
December 10, 2012 at 9:04PM     
PRO
karen paul interiors
Regarding paint color, please note the color of the walls and how it captures that same family of color seen in the rug. This works well against the white and is very restful as the rug anchors the walls visually. The red base of both the paint and the rug now allowed for a much lighter version of that red base in the table. So another aspect of this room is the gradation of color, moving from white, through warm gray and then into a much darker accent piece that once again becomes an anchor for the room, giving depth. Gradually you find even darker accents in the curtain rods, chandelier and mirror. Also note, the trim on the windows which once again reassures the darker buffet. Transition and contrast is so very important in creating an "easy" room.
December 11, 2012 at 5:01PM