Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What does my living room need?
bridget1312
December 10, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I want to paint! What colors would look good with this? Also, I want to get rid of those tall shelves and perhaps open it up a little, what can I do? Any help???? :)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
michigammemom
Can you clarify the actual color of your sofa? It looks chocolate brown in the photos.
December 10, 2012 at 8:58am   
bridget1312
Yes, a dark chocolate brown. I am obsessed with dark browns...
December 10, 2012 at 9:05am   
michigammemom
You might consider a coffee and cream color like Benjamin Moore's Stone Hearth as shown is this inspiration photo. I rather like your corner shelf unit and would suggest painting it in the wall color you select or to match your trim color to give it a built-in look.
December 10, 2012 at 9:22am     
simplify52
I would NOT get rid of the bookcases. That would be a big mistake. It adds height to the space and grounds it. In my opinion you need to add beefier lamps, taller and bigger. If you look, you have too many small items and I think by adding beefier lamps, the other small things would look appropriate. Add a color to the walls that will coordinate with the rug and the sofas. It's hard to tell a color from the picture but I'm thinking a greige. After you have your colors straight add some drapes from floor to ceiling. Then, readdress the bookcases and you may need to paint them for a whole new look. I hope this helps.
December 10, 2012 at 9:25am   
bridget1312
Okay, I was unsure if the bookcases just needed a paint color or just to get rid of them... Thank you! I did want to look for different lamps, just haven't found what I want yet... Does everything look good, I mean the way the room is set up? Should I rearrange anything?? I love any colors with a grey tone for walls too... :) A greige sounds right
December 10, 2012 at 9:47am   
battymatty
I'd paint the walls darker (I feel there is too much contrast between your sofa color and your wall paint)and add some lighter/print pillows that match your new wall color (Some prints should probably have cream/white background to match your white moulding).
December 10, 2012 at 9:57am   
PRO
Prime Walls
Hi Bridget1312. All of the above are great suggestions to just make the space unify a little better. I too love dark browns, but agree the contrast might be a little overwhelming and make your walls look a little bare. Consider a textured wall covering that incorporates the dark brown but still keeps the space warm and light. Here are some of my personal favourite and ones that would look great in your space!
http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/293 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/550 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/1019

Prime walls.
December 10, 2012 at 10:19am   
decoenthusiaste
With the exception of the sofas and the shelving unit, everything here seems wirey and under scale for the furnishings. I think you should take the tutorial here on Houzz about arranging shelves and then empty yours and re-work them. You need impact pieces, not lots of little stuff. I would pull the gold from the painting for my accent color to warm it up some. Brass and bronze are coming back and you need a little metal here. A color from the mountains in the painting might be good on the walls and would work with the chocolate. Would be looking for a console to go with the mirror. You may have to lose the blue pillows if you go to warmer color on the walls.
December 10, 2012 at 10:59am   
bridget1312
Here is the shelves... I painted them... What do you think???
January 25, 2013 at 11:00am   
PRO
January 25, 2013 at 11:26am   
bridget1312
Should I go with a color, or keep the browns??
January 25, 2013 at 11:31am   
More Discussions
HELP THIS ROOM PLEASE!
This room is all wrong. I was obsessed with this zebra...
Furniture, white it mocha?
I have a nursery that I couldn't finish because surprise,...
Fireplace builtin
Can I put builtins around my fireplace and in between...
The Painters are coming, The painters are coming!!! Help
Should I keep the yellow with the black trim( which...
Should we paint interior doors in newly painted paneled den?
We are in the process of priming our paneled den to...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.