Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Hallway Horror!
Kelly Nicole M.
December 10, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Ok, please be gentle (and ignore the mess on the kitchen table)! I need to redo my hallway and my creativity is blocked. Paint the console and/or mirror white? Take away the symmetrically placed wall art.... I NEED help!!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
First things first! Your mirror is too wide for your console. Your mirror looks more like a floor mirror. Do you have a good spot where you could prop it vertically? It needs to reflect something beautiful or interesting, not the calendar we see now. Why don't you re-mat and frame the two bird pictures (I assume they're a pair?) Make them larger and give them frames the width of the console legs. Then stack them vertically to one side of the console. I'd put the bottom of the lowest one about 4" above the table top. Leave the width of one frame between them and stack the second one above it. Then place a tropical plant (maybe a Bird of Paradise) on the other side. Keep your eye open for a long interesting bowl or something else to place on the bottom shelf. Add an area rug with a tropical feeling and you're done!
21 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 9:19AM
mpoulsom
It's not a horror... :)
If you feel like painting something I would paint the table some cool fun color, but not white. Maybe you should try hanging the mirror vertically instead of horizontally. I think I would probably leave the mirror the color it is. Maybe move the pictures closer to the mirror so that it's not so spread out.
You could add something to the top of the table. Not clutter it up, but add a lamp perhaps.

Don't know if there are kids etc???? I would not reccommend anything else until I know what your lifestyle is and if fragile tall items could be added on either side of the table..?
2 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 9:20AM
Kelly Nicole M.
Thanks guys! Ok, say I remove everything on the walls. Should I put 2 or 3 long wall shelves over the console? My hall is very wide and fairly long. No kids, and I have plenty of items to place on the table. I guess my main concern is filling the wall space. I could do a gallery wall too but that would be lots of work.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 9:29AM
michigammemom
Hi Kelly, I agree that the present mirror is too large for your hall table and your small art pieces are lost on that big expanse of wall. Here's an example of a beautifully staged foyer table with a round mirror, lamps and decorative baskets on the lower shelf. Once you get the table decor complete, you may not need anything else on the wall.
12 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 9:40AM
henry creative
Depending on the style of your home ie; traditional, modern, etc and where the hallway is in your home, there could be many options. Without knowing more details, I would put wainscoting along the bottom half of the wall painted to match your existing trim. This will brighten up a dark hallway, add visual interest to break up a long hallway, and create a dramatic focal point in an entry hallway.

The console and mirror can both be put back, the mirror won't seem to be "floating" anymore and the console will "pop" against the new backdrop. Depending on budget you could go one step further and add wall sconces also which would further add to the overall effect. Hope this helps!
2 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 9:49AM
lefty47
HI -- I like your mirror hung that way . You have the room on that wall so here is what I think will work. Move your console the right end of the wall and hang the small pictures verticaly off centre to one side low over console with the bottom picture mere inches from top of console., then hang a bigger picture beside making sure they stay over the console , no wider. then add a lamp or a big vase. Now on the rest of the hall , have a long narrow backless bench that is the length of the mirror or a little longer and then rehang the mirror centered over the bench . Then you can add some decor pots etc. under console and you could also add decor items under and on the end of the bench like books or a throw . The top of the mirror should be about at the 5 and half foot height.
3 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 10:09AM
Kelly Nicole M.
My style is contemporary with pops of color and some ethnic accents (Buddhas, ikat patterns..) I'm 28 years old and want a clean, fun, fresh yet exotic vibe to my home. My hall is way to big for just a dinky console. The length of the hall is 16 feet, and it's 7 feet wide. It separates the kitchen and living room.
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 10:25AM
Kelly Nicole M.
Lefty47, I like that idea! Now to find a bench!!!
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 10:27AM
Kelly Nicole M.
Actually, the bathroom would be directly in front of the bench . So that may not work.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 10:47AM
mpoulsom
You should do a gallery wall then, it will be worth the work. Even if you just get a couple of big paintings to take up most of the space. It looks like you should use the mirror somewhere else in the house. Will the console table fit on the opposite wall where the thermostat is? If it will, that with a lamp on it and a small sculpture would be perfect.
This is a big space....I would def hang art and get some spot lights aiming towards the art, installing some sort of track lighting on the ceiling if you have a light fixture there now, using that electrical.
3 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 10:48AM
mpoulsom
If you own this house, you may want to consider having built-in cabinets going from floor to ceiling in this area as well, for storage....and always keep in mind, that one day you may want to make the hall narrower and enlarge another room on the other side...either for a built-in storage space there, or just for a few more feet of room in a room.
3 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 10:54AM
designideas4me
So would this idea apply to any long hall..especially mine which is too narrow to put a console table and has mostly just walls with one small nook for maybe a tiny table or what else? Just fill the wall with art and good lighting? My hall seems so dark because the bedrooms at the other end usually have the door closed or blinds closed. I was thinking of a skylight. I hate not having natural light in that space. Does it matter in a long hall if the floor is dark or light in color? If it is dark should you put a light rug on it? I am struggling with hall issues too. thx
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 10:58AM
Kelly Nicole M.
Just playing around.....
How do you guys think long wall wall shelves would look in place of the mirror? I'm leaning toward a gallery wall but loving all the suggestions.
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 11:21AM
jkingston
Check out Atmosphere Interior Design on this site. They have a hallway featured with two chairs on either side of the console. I think it's stunning and would copy it if I had a long hallway. Hang a bold colourful piece of art above console with some coloured glass vases. So much potential to do so much. Could the mirror work on the other side of hall either leaning or hung off ground slightly? Good luck!
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 11:21AM
fania
Be practical. Your space there is ideal for a "bar". It does not have to be a typical type of bar. A few nice bottles and some nice glasses will do the trick. I would not remove the mirror, but I would make it lean forward a bit, to reflect the nice bottles and glasses. I would add a "love seat" or something. Then decide on the colors and the pictures. Imagine your life in there or even better the life you would like to lead. If you like having people over, then this might create a nice flow from the living room to the kitchen and vice versa.
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 11:27AM
jkingston
Now that I see that picture I would keep console over there and do gallery wall. Remove filing cabinet too.
2 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 11:28AM
lefty47
HI -- The arrangment idea I gave you could work the other way also and with the hall being that wide then you could have a bench that has a back and has a deeper seat . Maybe look for something with an Asian Flair and then some of your decor pots and vases can be Asian style too mixed with a little modern. Or you could have one of those modern raw wood furniture pieces.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 11:35AM
Kelly Nicole M.
jkingston - Do you mean I should put the console back on the gray wall and do a gallery wall?
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 11:39AM
Kelly Nicole M.
And yes, filing cabinet needs to go away! However I like the idea of having a staggered look.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 11:40AM
decoenthusiaste
Seeing more angles and more posts makes things much easier. If you are concerned with the length of the hall, don't emphasize it with shelves that add to the visual length. The console works there under the thermostat. It just needs a bigger lamp that is more in proportion to it. If you want a bench, put it on the bathroom side with the gallery opposite, anchored with the console table. Agree, the file cabinet needs to go to the office. Your rooms need to have a function. If this hall is to be the art gallery with a bar, that works, but don't put in furniture that says it might be something else - like a work space. Apply this logic to each of your rooms.
4 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 11:41AM
Kelly Nicole M.
Do you see my cluttered kitchen table (don't worry it never looks like that)... should I paint the legs a different color? I'm trying to BRIGHTEN UP THE PLACE ;-) Thanks for everything you all!
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 11:42AM
Kelly Nicole M.
DecoEnthusiaste- What do you mean "bench anchored with the console table" I am confused.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 11:49AM
jkingston
Is it near the front door? I'm trying to get the layout from the pictures. If it is as you enter the home then I would do the console and chair thing on long wall. If not then I'd say keep console on small wall with mirror maybe smaller one (round) and do a whole black and white gallery wall of friends and family. I'm not one to have photos all over the place but i like it when it's done like that. It sounds like it is near the bathroom. I find it interesting when visiting people if you can look at things like that (and they will after visiting the bathroom). Sounds dumb but true.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 11:57AM
michigammemom
If you really want a clean, contemporary gallery look, you might consider something like this for your long hallway.
2 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 12:10PM
bygeorgi
It's a nice wide hallway, so why not make it functional first , and interesting. how about a vintage dresser by vintage I mean, yard sale , thrift or from Habitat for Humanity Restore that is wide not high, and not too deep...... you could paint it in a fun color, maybe whatever you might be using as an accent color in adjoining rooms. don't center the mirror over it, have to one side and add a good sized lamp, a pretty dish for keys, stack of books, a vase, plants or art piece..... So this will also create storage for junk thats not so pretty . Take those prints and add more art or photos with different frames in different sizes and hang them on the opposite wall, move that small cabinet with the plants on it some where else to create a flow.
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 12:53PM
simplify52
Going off subject, but I love who is waiting patiently under the tree!!!
3 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 1:25PM
mpoulsom
Console table looks mucho better on the other wall where thermostat is! :)

Kelly, this IS in the middle of your house, correct? It's not your front door entry, right? I know people are suggesting places to lay keys etc...when entering a foyer, but that was not the impression I got from your pics. This is why I'm starting to wonder now??? Just so I'm clear...
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 1:32PM
Kelly Nicole M.
The hallway is right in the middle of my house. You walk up the stairs, bam- your on the kitchen and dining room. So far I like the idea of keeping the console on the gray wall and doing a gallery over it. Opposite I will take off the thermostat and place a small round mirror, with a bunch underneath. That way people sitting on the bench aren't staring at the bathroom...they can look at art and pictures instead. Thoughts?
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 1:42PM
Kelly Nicole M.
A *bench* on the thermostat wall
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 1:44PM
lefty47
HI Kelly -- I just had another thought --- because the hall is nice and wide and that wall is so long ,-- I think if you could find a nice long low mid century dresser or console/buffet , they come as long as 7 ft. ,-then have the mirror above with a couple of lamps or wall sconces and some art ,-that would look great and you could still have a chair ( like an arm chair -dining chair ) off each end . I am sure you could use the extra storage .The small table does look better on the other side . PS: You could have a closer put on the bathroom door so it can always be closed if you don't like seeing into the room allthe time.
2 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 1:45PM
Kelly Nicole M.
Bygeorgie, love the ideas!!! I'm gonna do a thrift store run and see what I find to replace my tiny console with.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 1:45PM
bygeorgi
Kelly...ooh gosh I just read you like ikat,,, had an idea, if you have leftover ikat fabric or another coordinating print why not modge podge it onto a vase or mirror frame, than would be bringing the
boho to hall way ...cute. or mix with a nice modern chevron pattern..... You have to post some pictures of the finished hallway. Sounds like you have great style! good luck thrifting, my favorite hobby! oh my also a tone on tone paint treatment, like just an accent wall of a large scale pattern would be fabulous.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 2:00PM
mpoulsom
well good luck and I'm sure it will turn out great....i noticed that you have recessed lights in one of the later pics...so you could just replace those lights with recessed lights that adjust and spot. Not expensive at all if you decide to adorn the wall with art! Will make the space to have the right lighting.
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 2:11PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
You are fortunate to have a hallway that can be useful being that it has a comfortable width, wider than most hallways.
I can see this area filled with family photos or a family library. Also I would consider breaking up the lengh of the hallway by adding a runner in the area that is between the two opposite rooms (Living and Kitchen/Dining).
I can not tell if the lighting in this area are downlights or ceiling mounted lights but another way to delineate this space is by changing the light fixtures in this space.
Another inexpensive way to add interest and break up the space is to paint the door along the hallway a contrasting color..
4 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 2:14PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
a few more:
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 2:15PM
Kelly Nicole M.
Wow. You all are so helpful. I have so many options it is a bit overwhelming (and exciting!!) I will let you all know how it turns out!
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 2:25PM
Kelly Nicole M.
Did I say THANK YOU? Happy holidays to all.
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 2:51PM
pcmom1
Jumping in here without reading all of the comments. I did get to the part where you wanted to brighten up the hall. I dealt with my very long, very dark hallway by replacing the light fixtures with solartube/ light combos. Really helped. That, in addition to painting hallway soft yellow.
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 4:18PM
javajudo
Your hallway is very horizontal and your ceilings seem low and it needs light or the reflection of light. On the long wall, I think you need to add a vertical item that's over the top such as a floor to ceiling framed mirror (in chrome or other similar polished finish) leaning against the wall. If budget doesn't allow for this, I would run a series of pictures, each framed similar to the mirror suggestion, from floor to ceiling, keeping in mind that it is a vertical presentation and not a horizontal presentation, so the overall width of the presentation should be narrow. Also, the overall presentation should not be centered on your wall, I think it should be closer to your dining table. Next, I would flank your console table next to the picture presentation and place a tall lamp on each end of the table, probably in chrome or similar polished finish. I would also suggest a longer console table and adding large baskets to the bottom shelf or beneath the console table. Since you like ethnic art, I think a coral color (such as Sherwin Williams' Quite Coral) would be a great choice for the walls, since it would bring out the oranges, reds, and yellows found in ethnic art. Lastly, since your hall is wide, I would suggest flanking the other side of the picture presentation with an upholstered chair, which can be used as a head chair for your dining table. If you go with a coral color on the walls, I would suggest a strong color for the chair such as orange or lime green.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 5:09PM
PRO
Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
Hi Kelly,
I agree with mpoulsom and the shadowy look to the hallway is the first thing I noticed. You could do the recessed lights or spotlights that can be aimed at the wall for an arched light effect to highlight wall art. It creates enough interest and light to lift the mood of the hallway. It will then be easier to accessorize the hallway once the lighting is balanced.
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 6:44PM
designideas4me
I put in cable track lights in my living room and have recessed can lights on the hall but still feel the hall is dark compare to the other rooms with windows. I think I will just have to put in a skylight. My son can sit in his room in the dark all day on the computer but for me if I dont get sunshine I feel depressed.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 8:25PM
designideas4me
pcmom did you like the solartube light? Can you tell me more about it?
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 8:33PM
sacapuntaslapioz
if you have lots of books and interesting objects why not make it a library hallway. Ikea has a bookcase, Expedit which comes in fun colors. I would flank your thrift store dresser with 2 bookcases and display objects, books, etc.
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 5:30AM
pcmom1
I have 5 of the solartubes in my home: 3 replacing fixtures down the hall and two strictly skylights in each of the dark corners in my north facing living room. They did make a tremendous difference, but one unexpected twist with the skylight/lamp combo: at night when the light is used, beams of light shoot from the top of my roof! I didn't see that one coming! Great for Santa, though.

But during the day it is wonderful having the light. I would suggest you get one of the large skylight only ones for that darkest area, and not replace a fixture with the combo. And see one before buying. The reflective material used in the tubes is a little "space age", but unless you stand and stare up at it you won't notice it.

I do love the arch light effect mentioned above by Creatively Yours. And any chance of changing out the carpet to a bleached hardwood? And when you paint, use a paint with some sheen to it to help the light bounce around. It the end of the hall, where the Christmas tree is, I would put something great to look at. Wonderful wide hallway (mine is narrow!).
0 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 9:24AM
whitsendranch
try adding a touch of usefulness to your hall mirror with knobs or hooks, I hangs jackets and stuff i need to grab in a hurry but you could use different more modern style hooks and add some of your interesting pieces that hang. i'm a bit o' country cause I live on a farm but as i pass the rack mirror I made it also give a quick glance to how much of a farm mess I am before i answer door to customers!
0 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 9:51AM
Kelly Nicole M.
Hi guys. Our hall is still in progress but wanted to show you how it's coming along! Still needs some finishing touches ...especially the gallery wall.
10 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:28PM
Kelly Nicole M.
Here's hat do you guys think? Be honest! I can take it ;)
8 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:38PM
Kelly Nicole M.
Ignore our hideous carpeting. What do you all think? Be honest!!! ;)
12 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:41PM
bygeorgi
Oh Kelley .... glad you posted pics...it's looking sooo cute, I'd move the elephant planter a bit to the left and I suggest an organic looking dish for keys n such one made from wood... to the left of the planter....I like it very much .It feels clean but homey so you wanna stop n glace at the photos....
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 3:00PM
calikym
I really like what you did & you gained storage, too.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 3:03PM
Kelly Nicole M.
Did you mean put the bowl to the right of the planter??? Ha! Thanks :)
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:07PM
jkingston
Great job!
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:11PM
bygeorgi
No left like in first photo so your eye moves up n down from lamp , bowl, planter... artists always work in odd numbers or use a zig zag in placement... Its what the brain likes... I know, weird. That planter is a nice idea gives that traveled look.
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:13PM
Kelly Nicole M.
Thanks guys/gals. Your coaching and feedback has helped tremendously!! What color rug would look good? Should I paint the bathroom doors a color?
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:17PM
cherc
Kelly, I love what you're doing!! So fun to see.
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:20PM
cherc
Oh maybe a rug with your favorite ikat colors and pattern ;) There are so many great ones out there, I look forward to seeing what you choose.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:24PM
ktiquet
Wow you've done a great job just read everything that everyone has said. I think you still need a chair with a splash of color. I have a wide hallway at the top of my stairs and have been stumped as what to do with it, I think I'll try what you have done looks great keep up the good work!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 3:29PM
groveraxle
I think the hall looks great. I would change one teensy weensy thing: I wouldn't hang anything higher than the door frames on the gallery wall. It's a tad overwhelming the way it is now. MHO
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 3:33PM
Judit
all is perfect except for the white elephant
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:40PM
Kelly Nicole M.
Not the best size/style of chair but its cheery yellow!
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:42PM
Kelly Nicole M.
The elephant is too small? Or because it's white on white? Thanks for the honesty :)
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:44PM
cherc
If it's the white part, could it go in a colored tray grouped with other items?
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:51PM
bygeorgi
maybe its the plant in the elephant planter not the planter... needs to be taller n fluffier....how about a palm
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 3:53PM
Kelly Nicole M.
How large of a plant should I use? I can easily move the elephant elsewhere if it doesn't fit right in the large hall
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 4:00PM
lefty47
HI - Kelly -- Great job sweetie ! I like the elephant , it looks like an Adler piece , is it ? You could also stick (3M sticky hangers) some pictures on the door too. It will disguise it ! The runner rug could be a stripe or the ekat just make sure it doesn't all get too busy.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 4:04PM
Kelly Nicole M.
I don't think the planter could hold too large of a plant. Hmmm let me go investigate!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:04PM
Kelly Nicole M.
The elephant can only hold a small plant
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:16PM
bygeorgi
I didn't mean that big haha! but kinda that shape , skinny base , then gets leafy maybe bout the same height as the original plant ... wish I knew the name of what I was thinking....
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:56PM
bygeorgi
Btw everyone...I need help too ...I posted a dilema ( Need Fresh View on Living Room) but not much response.. sorry i'm begging on your post Kelley ... I always know what to do with someone elses space, not my own ..but I keep messing with the room it's driving me nuts.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 5:03PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
Hello Kelly, Wow you really made it work!!! Looks great. I love the Elephant planter, great way to bring in textures......................and the picture wall looks great too!! ...............no fear!!!
Suggestions:
No need to paint the doors, the pictures add a lot of texture and bring the focus to the center of the room..
I love the idea of mixing materials and bringing some wood textures as in the bowl with keys. You could expand on this concept and replace one or two of the frames with a wood frame.
It was a good choice to take full advance of your ceiling height and use the full height of the wall to hang pictures. I would also expand on this concept and ad a plaster relief of wood carving above the mirror to bring your eye upwards.
Looks great!! Thanks so much for posting!
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:30PM
capecodgal
What about a large beautiful Orchid inside the Elephant planter? Also, love the bright yellow chair as it ties in with the lamp. I would suggest a rug runner also to add more visual interest and color.
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:41PM
Kelly Nicole M.
I've never even heard of that! Plaster relief of wood. Where can I find it at low cost? Thanks for the support, encouragement, motivation and enthusiasm! :)
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 1:00AM
Kelly Nicole M.
And the orchid idea is brilliant, it will be the perfect size and add to the exotic vibe.....
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 1:02AM
Billie G
The elephant doesn't really look nice enough, in MHO. I would put a white orchid in a glass dish on it's place instead. It would look classy and would add just enough hight for the right proportion.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 3:03AM
pcmom1
I don't think anyone else has mentioned this. I think there is a problem with the mirror having a very dark frame and all the frames on the gallery wall being white.

I think the mirror would actually look better hung vertically at the end of the hall, over the trunk, and the plant that is currently on the trunk put into the hall way. Then, either a different mirror (large square) in a light frame placed where the old mirror was, or a large wood relief.

Or, add in on the gallery wall a mixture of wood tone frames: a couple dark like the mirror, some in lighter wood so there is some agreement on both sides of the hall.

I love that you are keeping us informed on your project!
2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 8:41AM
Kelly Nicole M.
I think if I placed the mirror vertically it might look weird. I don't know I just have a hard time visualizing it. Send me a pic if you see something similar.

I do like the idea of swapping out some white frames on the gallery wall. Should I throw in some colored frames or keep it simple with woods and blacks?

Oh, and here's what it looks like without the elephant. I am contemplating spray painting it green or blue or even silver.... Putting a different plant in it and putting it back :) thoughts?
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:13AM
Kelly Nicole M.
By the way I want to start on my living room next and would appreciate some advice! Mostly furniture arrangement and wall paint choice. Here's a sneak peak....
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:28AM
pcmom1
No colored frames: just different tones of wood, I think!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:26AM
pcmom1
For your living room, could you provide a floor plan with dimensions (showing windows, doorways, labels?)

Looks like tv is placed in an alcove. Quick thought. Move the plum colored chair and the trunk next to it out somewhere else for now. Try the tall curio cabinet centered on that wall. It will look nice as a focal point as you look down the hall.

Pull your sofa and coffee table towards the tv. I would say 3 feet. And, if you center it more with the window, and the curio cabinet is gone, perhaps blue chair could go on the other side of the sofa. I would place a large plant into the living room corner.

You may find angling your furniture some would work.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 10:41AM
jkingston
Kelly, keep it like it is - black mirror punctuates the wall. I love white on white but a white frame would be boring. Lynda Reeves from House and Home always says you need a hit of black in every room. You will drive yourself crazy over analyzing and asking too many opinions. Go with your gut - after all it's your space and you have done a great job! Look at the before pics to remind yourself ;)
5 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:48AM
mpoulsom
I love what you did, including the collage wall art on the wall!! great job!
3 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:53AM
PRO
studio | FORMA
Hi Kelly, keep the black mirror. It creates a nice sharp contrast. I like the flowers too but miss the elephant, lol. Had a thought, you may be able to but a "frog" inside the elephant and stand the flower stems inside and have both the flowers and the elephant!
2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:35AM
dessert
Much much better! Add a runner on top of your carpet!
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 11:35AM
Kelly Nicole M.
I miss the elephant too!!! I'll see what I can do... Never heard of a "frog".

Recommendations of where I can find an affordable stylish and modern runner? I know you're all gonna say west elm or pottery barn but even those are beyond my budget. COLLEGE STUDENT with no job and expensive taste :)
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 11:54AM
PRO
studio | FORMA
A plant frog pierces flowers, and forms the "base" of a flower arrangement. They come in many shapes and sizes and you can find them in any garden store or nursery.
As for where to find a runner at a good price try Overstock.com or World Market sometimes have really good sales.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 12:29PM
Judit
how about these?
2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 12:51PM
Judit
or this? I can provide you with the Latin names
2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 12:56PM
dessert
Try walmart, target, winners in Canada or TJ Max in USA for inexpensive runners. Buy two if they are too short and place them end to end
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:48PM
Kelly Nicole M.
Thanks Judit, and Dessert.. You guys rock! :)
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 8:03PM
designideas4me
I like what you did in the hallway. I would try to add more white and more plants to the livingroom like you did in the hallway. It would feel more alive and bright.
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 11:36PM
Kelly Nicole M.
What colors/patterns should I go with for a runner? Here are a few I like: http://www.overstock.com/cart?TID=CartLayer:Cart

Which one do you like?
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:59AM
dessert
Link showing an empty cart
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 12:32PM
dessert
Both are under 50$
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:17PM
jemoiselle
This is the most awesome thread ever! I have so enjoyed watching the transformation. What a great difference all these suggestions have made! What a lovely hallway, too. Congrats on making such fantastic beautiful progress! I have no advice to give, but felt the need to chime in, so moved by the positivity here and transformation. Keep posting pics! How exciting!
3 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:47PM
hotmholt
Ditto, jemoiselle.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 6:51AM
PRO
studio | FORMA
Agree!!
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 12:20PM
aniluap2
Great job Kelly, you have great instincts. The white frames look fine on the opposite wall it makes the grouping cohesive. If all the photos were B&W you could intersperse a pop of color by spaying a larger frame bright yellow to match your chair. ( You could photocopy your photos on photo paper to make them all B&W). You could do a zebra print runner in black and white to funk it up a bit. I like the elephant but it needs an orchid or maybe another white container w ith a plant and some other organic object , an orb ?
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 1:00PM
Kelly Nicole M.
My boyfriend just hung these shelves without my permission!!!! Kind of annoyed. But after decorating them starting to feel better. What do you all think? I changed the plant in the elephant. Better?
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 2:10PM
Kelly Nicole M.
Better pic
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 2:11PM
Kelly Nicole M.
I got a tray for the elephant....also, check out our dining table! We raised it higher (you can see it in the background of the very first post)......better huh?!?
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:52PM
dessert
Looking great. The nook behind your table looks like it was made for a built in bench.
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 2:08PM
lydiamuir
Yeh I think your mirror is too big for the console. With your artwork they might look better grouped underneath each other. A orchid or floral arrangement would look nice on the console. Perhaps a smaller circle mirror to break up the square dimensions.
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 3:54AM
pcmom1
I think the alcove would be great wallpapered : some cool large graphic pattern in a tone on tone. Some larger center piece for the table: a large glass piece with some yellow in it. That, and drapery panels for that window, and I think that portion will be done.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 6:38PM
Kelly Nicole M.
Do you both really think the mirror is too big? My hallway is rather huge. :) I will consider the wallpaper idea. That would really liven up my kitchen! Thanks!
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 7:45PM
aniluap2
The mirror is fine!
2 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 8:00PM
saladsue
I really like what you have done! I want to lift the elephant out of the tray & place it with the trunk facing on an angle toward the lamp just to the right of the centre of the mirror. Leave the tray with the interesting bits on it. Perhaps the small horse in the bookshelves added to the tray.
I like the additions your boyfriend made unusual but interesting.
You are doing a great job. Your picture wall is great!
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 8:01PM
PRO
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
awesome dialogue....enjoyed reading the recommendations and seeing the back and forth.
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 8:05PM
Kelly Nicole M.
Like this?! It's starting to feel a bit cluttered.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 8:12PM
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 8:15PM
jkingston
Stop already! It looks better with less items. Move onto to the next section. I think you should focus on bright yellow accents in the rest of the place but leave this section alone. Too many opinions!!!
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 8:17PM
Kelly Nicole M.
Haha! Thank you Jkingston. I think I am "fixing it to death"! I will start to focus on the kitchen. And yes, yellow is a great accent color. Did you see the wallpaper I posted above?
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 8:20PM
saladsue
Oh dear yes it does look too cluttered but I
like the location of the elephant. I would move the tray to the left near the end & remove a couple of items from it.
Also take everything else but the lamp off the furniture.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 9:31PM
jkingston
OMG - I love it! Can you use it somewhere in the living room too?
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 5:22AM
pcmom1
Can you stand one more suggestion? Take the tray and use it as a centerpiece on your dining table (place the small piece that is on the dining table now inside of it with a couple more things). Then just scoot elephant down to the corner of the mirror.

OK, no more advice for this area. Pat yourself on the back for a big transformation.

And, I like the wallpaper, just worried it might be too much action in the zig zag pattern going on to set thru a dinner and stare at. But something close.
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 7:35AM
aniluap2
Love the wallpaper! Great focal wall
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 11:17AM
aniluap2
By the way the nook in the dining area might be the perfect spot for a banquette .
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 11:19AM
PRO
studio | FORMA
I think the nooks in both rooms(Living Rm./Dining Rm.) could be used as a banquette for dining and a cozy reading nook in the living room. It would also open up the room a lot. You may even be able to do with out the sofa and have a much roomier space.

They could be as custom as you like with storage underneath or as simple as you like. You could even intstall lighting sconces at both ends.

Take a look at the photos below:
2 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 12:13PM
aniluap2
Just saw a great idea for a banquette on the Better homes and Garden site. They bought an unfinished wood book case , painted it, turned it on its side and used bakets for storage in the open cubbies with a bench cushion on top. Assuming you could find a bookshelf that's height matched the width of the opening this might work well with a few throw pillows along the back.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 8:09AM
Kelly Nicole M.
Awesome idea! I just searched BHG website and couldn't find that article. If you can find me the link that would be helpful. Thanks aniluap.

As for the other nook in the living room. We have a floor to ceiling projector screen that drops down from the nook (my boyfriend's pride and joy), this makes furniture arrangement more difficult because we can't fit much else in the nook without intruding on the projector screen. I will eventually start a new discussion thread on the living room, since it is a project all on it's own. For now I will conquer the kitchen/entry area! I should probably start a new thread for that too since this one is so long...I just don't want to lose my dedicated decorators!
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 8:51AM
aniluap2
Kelly, I have been using my iPad once it is just do easy and do not know ho to upload pictures on it...guess I will have to go to the apple store for a lesson . Anyway I get a weekly online free magazine from BHG. If you try Decorating-BHG.com and look towards the bottom of the page it has a picture titled DIY furniture and there is one for a window seat which can also be used as a banquette in your case.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 9:45AM
PRO
MirrorWindows.com
Mirror Windows might work well. Almost like adding an architectural element. It may lighten the area up a little, as well.
0 Likes   May 29, 2013 at 11:53AM
Kelly Nicole M.
Hi all. I haven't done much since the last post. But here's a current pic of the hall. And while we are at it, here is my bathroom... A bit crammed and could use your expertise. The bamboo dresser is in the way but we need it for storage. Any ideas?
1 Like   July 31, 2013 at 10:57AM
jkingston
Looking good! Loving the "white" look of the hallway. Your bathroom needs to keep that going. Get some white bath mats and change the curtain to white (maybe bringing the blue from under the tub). One placed at sink and other in fronot of shower. That will give it more of a "spa" look. (P.S. I'm not one for plants in a space but can't really see the wall to give other options - but if you like them stick with them).
0 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 11:42AM
bygeorgi
I can't tell... what color is the tub? its looking hunter green to me....
0 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 11:56AM
Kelly Nicole M.
Tub is blue. I actually just changed the shower curtain because I was sick of the old one (but it was just as you described!)....http://www.worldmarket.com/product/bluegreen-print-shower-curtain.do?&from=fn
0 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 11:59AM
bygeorgi
Thats a cute shower curtain... I love the plants... so I would play up the garden feel...one larger scale rug actually a runner..a painted piece of furniture with a plant on top maybe a piece of colorful art above, a more stream line window covering ... kinda more of a modern/ zen feeling in there. Oh and paint the bottom of the tub white, just a thought.
2 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 12:18PM
shoeft2010
I love what you have done with your hall! I have the same shower curtain in my bathroom. It works with the 70's blue tile that came with the house when we bought it last year and it's similar to your tub color. I really like the color on your tub. I think it adds character to your bathroom and since you are working on a budget I recommend keeping it that color and use colors from the shower curtain to pull the room together.
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 8:15AM
pcmom1
You have done a great job, but I notice that it is still shadowed quite a bit. I also had a long dark hallway, and it was totally transformed when we had SolaTubes (small skylights) installed. We replaced our hall ceiling lights with skylight/light combos. I was so happy that I had two larger ones (skylights only) put into our dark north facing living room. They are affordable also.
1 Like   August 21, 2013 at 8:47AM
PRO
Light In Art
You could purchase art and place it on the wall and/or get an eye-catching chandelier to dress up the hallway. We make Contemporary Stained Glass Lighting and Art and we have fire stones that can be customized and light up a room, as well as chandeliers that would look great in the hallway. We customize size and color; visit our website at http://www.lightinart.com/ to see some options.
0 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 2:19PM
PRO
Relaxhouse
A lot can be achieved with some nice lighting arrangements. The Brokis stuff we just got in is worth a look too.. Check the range here: http://www.relaxhouse.com.au/lighting/brokis
0 Likes   October 7, 2013 at 8:14PM