Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help with Window Treatments...
Julie R. Dorathy
December 10, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Help... This is our new house. Back wall has four windows and French doors leading to a covered porch. It is a great room concept and there is also a double window on front of house. I thought I figured this out.. With woven woods that went bottom up and top bottom, but now I'm worried about the cords and the French door treatment "clacking". We have a nice wooded view fairly private to rear and I do not want to cover that up with something heavy... I posted a couple of months ago, but just need a little more input to get me off the edge! We are ready to move in so I have to order!!! We live near the beach and the decor will be relaxed coastal craftsman... If there is such a thing.

Are there any cordless options? I've thought of cellulars but it seems that they may be "dated".....
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Country Curtains has thermal roman shades. One style is made of woven cane paper, the other of cotton/poly. Then they have a poly cellular shade too. All are cordless! I can't live without cordless, especially over the kitchen sink! I tend to think the woven cane would be more craftsman style.
December 10, 2012 at 9:33AM   
PRO
Mona Ives
Cordless wood blinds - how about in white? You could also do the woven woods as you intended, but mount them on the french doors with hold down brackets, this should prevent "clacking". They will have cords though. You can get a continuous cord loop option at a customized length to keep them out of the reach of children or pets. I hope that feedback is helpful.
December 10, 2012 at 10:43AM   
PRO
Budget Blinds
How exciting! A new home! We offer woven wood shades with cordless options. Here's a pic for you!
December 10, 2012 at 11:16AM     
PRO
Fenstermann LLC
These are perfect for doors. They attach on the bottom and top with no strings!. We have them on our french doors, and they are so slim that they pass behind the handle!

They are available with over 400 different designs
December 10, 2012 at 11:47AM   
PRO
Julie R. Dorathy
Are these cellular type shades?
December 10, 2012 at 12:29PM   
PRO
Fenstermann LLC
Pleated mainly, as well as cellular. Full Blackout, Transparent and 1/2 blackout
December 10, 2012 at 12:49PM   
nevadan
For these windows, I would use fabric draperies. Maybe on a wooden pole. Maybe with gromets. If you use roll-downs, you will go nuts trying to keep them all at the same level.
December 10, 2012 at 1:08PM   
PRO
Mona Ives
I initially thought of draperies as well nevadan, until I read that they were tryin to use shades... My mind first went to drapes except maybe they're not quite as "beachy" unless you do linen style sheers. I would add least do decorative panels.
December 10, 2012 at 1:47PM   
PRO
DrapeStyle
I was thinking of drapery as well. One long rod across the whole window with 4 panels total, 2 on the outer most edges and two framing the doors. I think sheer linen or lined linen would be gorgeous and definitely suitable to a coastal environment.

If you're serious about the shade route, I would stay away from cellular shades unless you're planning to layer the treatment and have drapery or valances as well. Cellular shades alone tend to look minimal and utilitarian. If you want to do shades only I'd stick with fabric roman shades or the woven shades as you were originally thinking. Hold down brackets will easily solve your "clacking" concern. Best of luck!

www.drapestyle.com
December 10, 2012 at 3:41PM     
javajudo
I think blinds are a mistake. You have to treat the doors and window as if it were one expanse of glass. The differing heights of the window and door from the floor is too distracting. I would suggest one fixed curtain panel in your accent color of choice flanking each window, then I would fill the space between each window, including the door with sheer panels, which should move easily when you need to use the door or open the window.
December 10, 2012 at 4:33PM   
bogeyjo
Have you rued out silhouettes? They are available in wider pleats that would allow the view. I would consider side panels to bring the whole look together.
December 10, 2012 at 5:19PM   
PRO
Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
I would suggest casual/craftsman style valances for the wall areas above the windows and the doors. They would only slightly cover the window and would add color and shape to that area of the shadowy wall. Then you could add roller shades that would go up under the valances when raised. They are available in many styles and are cordless. They would also be out of view.
December 10, 2012 at 7:04PM   
PRO
Julie R. Dorathy
Linda do you have a picture of this type of valance?
December 10, 2012 at 7:10PM   
PRO
Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
Here are 2 ones I had custom made for a client of mine. Notice the style of them not the colors etc. The print one is a shaped box valance. I would do yours without the attached crown molding and then would add 2 lines of banding to echo the lines in craftsman style windows. The second is a straight box pleat style- little hard to tell the boxes. In either case, I would customize them with touches like craftsman style and as you can see, there is plenty of room up underneath to keep shades out of sight when not needed. Let me know if you have any questions.
December 10, 2012 at 7:44PM     
janishill
I would use stationary drapery panels on the ends of the windows, so they cover the wall space and the frame. Hang them high so the view is unobstructed.
December 10, 2012 at 8:11PM     
ycart5
Ceiling to floor draperies, in panels of four with the sheer exposure over the doors. You can always slide the panels closed for privacy. Let nature in.
December 10, 2012 at 10:48PM   
jagood
If you go with drapes or curtains, be aware that sometimes the wind will suck the fabric out the doors when you open them, or billow it into the room - both annoying to deal with, so I don't think the drapes should stack toward the door when the drapes are open. We have cellular shades on double french doors, with a cord. It was annoying at first, but I adjusted the cord to as short as I could make it when the shade was down, so that when we pulled the shade up the cord was an acceptable length. (we don't have small children around so no worry about the cords) We haven't found the cord to be a detriment since we adjusted them, but I think cordless would be better, such as the shades posted above by Fenstermann - i really like those.

With a beautiful view and a covered porch, you probably only want shades for night privacy, so in daytime they would be pulled all the way up, so no worry about keeping them all even. We actually have a wall of shades in similar situation, and it's never been a problem. We only pull them down at night when we want privacy. When all the way up, they do not move in the wind when we have our windows open. But be aware that when they are down, or even part way down, they do clank when there is wind and the window is open. So again, the shades that Fenstermann posted may be the solution for that too - in a soft wind you may be able to have the shades partially covering the window without any clanking - it is something you may want to find out.
December 10, 2012 at 11:31PM   
Nina Brueckner
I would go with wooden/white plantation shutters. try the 4inch wide ones - they are beautiful and will last for years and years.
December 11, 2012 at 8:40AM   
Nina Brueckner
I forgot to add....I have wooden plantation shutters on my windows and I get lots and lots of compliments.
December 11, 2012 at 8:42AM   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I would also suggest fabric drapes, on one long rod extending the entire length of the wall. Have the panels fall in between the door and window walls, and in the corners. This allows you to close all or some of the panels depending on the light and time of day. Select a linen type fabric to give you a beach feel. I think this is the best option for you. With doors and windows on the same wall, they technically should all have the same treatment, so putting shutters or blinds can be tough to match with teh different surfaces. And the cords will be an issue with that many applications. Beautiful room!
December 11, 2012 at 8:45AM     
PRO
Julie R. Dorathy
Thanks again everyone...Nina...my original thought was shutters as that is what I had in my last home. Due to the molding and windows (tilt in) the shutters will cover all the trim and make it difficult to open the bottom window... so it was on to Plan B. :)
December 11, 2012 at 9:38AM   
whitsendranch
simple curtain hangers can be made of any wood and stained or painted to taste. over double window like yours i 'd use three, You do not have to put curtains or any wooden rod , through holes you can simply use for a fabric swag, sturdy for any weight. I install a board on the top for nick knacks etc that isn't necessary either. so functional and multi purpose and cheap to make out of scrap wood.
December 11, 2012 at 10:23AM   
aholbert
I have a wall similiar to this. I had lined navy blue Roman Shades made for the windows and fitted top and bottom pieces for the doors. I can pull the entire shade up if I want the light or quickly drop it down if I want the privacy. My seamstress suggested the white lining to preserve the navy blue, to help block western exposure from sun, and to help the shades and door treatments last longer.
December 11, 2012 at 10:42AM   
PRO
JMittman Designs
I agree with Gabberts Design Studio completely--I picture this beautiful room with soft, flowy linen panels as suggested.
I think that is too long of a wall to run one continual valance. Skip blinds/shades/shutters as you said you do not need the privacy.
Keep this one simple.
December 13, 2012 at 11:28AM   
PRO
Julie R. Dorathy
janis hill... I am looking at the picture that you drew..... do I cover the crown molding or hang rods right below it?
December 13, 2012 at 4:21PM   
janishill
I can't take credit for that drawing. I found it on a blog a long time ago. But you would hang the rods under just below the crown moulding.

You can also use curtain holdbacks down low to keep the drapery panels from being sucked in or out when the door is opened.
December 13, 2012 at 5:26PM