Professionals
Users
my after fireplace
ruthyo
December 10, 2012 in Design Dilemma
this is after
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
michigammemom
Found it! Great transformation. The space looks so much more contemporary without the red brick.
December 10, 2012 at 1:49PM   
tennisanyone
Now I found the after pictures. I still don't like those two chair in front of the fireplace. Try moving them across from the couch and move those other two chairs near the fireplace minus the table and rug. Your rug near your sofa should be bigger or use nothing right now. The scale is very off.
December 10, 2012 at 1:58PM   
bdennison
Love it. Great job
December 10, 2012 at 2:19PM   
decoenthusiaste
Would you consider using the skinny rugs as wall hangings? I agree with tennisanyone about the chairs. Would prefer the chairs in front of the sofa go to flank the FP and the others come to this end.
December 10, 2012 at 2:19PM   
ruthyo
thanks..soon the carpet will be replaced by hardwood floor. I wish the rug was bigger. It is Persian..the smaller rug is nolonger in front of the fireplace. I intend to move the chairs as suggested. will send anoither picture when done. Before and After..After ruthy
December 12, 2012 at 8:23PM   
christmas12
the persian rug under the glass table is awsome :)
December 12, 2012 at 9:16PM   
PRO
karen paul interiors
You know what, I didn't see the before pictures but I think your after pictures show so much promise. Yes, there are many things you can do to improve the space, however, in the meantime I think you've done an admirable job. As for the size of your Persian rug(s)....too small, yes! Do they add something wonderful to the space?.....yes. So, I find the room charming at this point. Now, if there is something you want to change or if you are asking how it can be improved, well, that's a whole different scenario. Your room as it is at the moment is way better than so many other interiors we see day in and day out. Now, that said, if you really feel a need to continue working (fine tuning) this room, well, your Houzzers are here for you always. :)
December 12, 2012 at 9:25PM   
bdennison
Here is a picture of the BEFORE fireplace she mentioned. Covering all that brick looks great.
December 13, 2012 at 3:35AM   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Wow! Looks amazing! Love the colors you chose for this room.
December 13, 2012 at 4:52AM   
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Nice job. I agree with Karen Paul, there is still lots you can do to make them.

Consider a larger piece of art and go right over the beam on the wall, (maybe that could be the same as the wall colour as well to minimize it. Leave the ceiling white. Or two larger pieces one on either side of the beam.

A larger area rug as well.

See the attached for inspiration.
December 13, 2012 at 4:52AM   
PRO
I agree with Karen Paul. Nice start, but there is a lot more you can do to make the room sing.

I might consider painting the entire fireplace wall the same colour. I think it might unify the space and make it feel more important. Curious to hear what others think - I could be completely off base here :-)

Consider larger art above the couch, either one large piece and go right over the beam (maybe that could be the wall colour to minimize it) or two large pieces one on either side of the beam.

A larger area rug with your blue and orange shades and pillows that tie into your colour scheme.

See attached for inspiration.

Great start.
December 13, 2012 at 4:55AM   
PRO
December 13, 2012 at 4:58AM   
PRO
karen paul interiors
I very much like the idea of pulling your rust over to the other side, replacing your current lamp with the one pictured in the rust base/white shade. Also like the idea of pulling some of the blue down onto the sofa with the pillows as show (good choices). I still prefer the color mix in your current rug, over and above an all rust rug....much more interesting.
December 13, 2012 at 9:07AM