Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint color when stuck with very dark green stone
hewittfamily
December 10, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We just bought a large house from the original homeowners. I don't think it's been updated since construction in 1980. There is a lot of pink and green in this place! Due to the amount of work we need to do, some things have to wait. For now, we need to pull down wallpaper and paint in the master bathroom, but we're unable to change the dark green counters & shower and the pale limestone floors. The adjoining master suite has Pottery Barn linens with a lot of reds, brown, beige and bits of sage and gold (typical PB fall colours) and light neutral carpeting. I dread the predictable off-white paint choice and am having a hard time imagining what to do. I welcome suggestions!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
I think the floor is ok, I wouldn't worry about it, but that green....wow.....Can you take your cue from the sage in the bedroom, and maybe paint the walls that color? I think I would leave out the gold, though. Use an ivory or off-white for towels and such, try to keep it neutral as possible for now.
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 2:35PM
Rachel Fletcher
I would embrace an old world feel, which works well with a pb feel. Just slightly glaze ithe cabinets and doors to have a slight distressed look. Then add aged bronze handles to doors and cabinets. You could refinish walls to have a plaster look with warm yellow and slight brown glaze. You can always change fixtures out later to bronze look. Here is link to similar idea.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 9:24PM
Jayme H.
A neutral grey on the bathroom walls would work I think...as long as it doesn't clash with the green tones..I would definately be bringing home samples to compare...
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:39PM
houssaon

has a slight undertone of green, which I think you need to make the green of the counter tops less prominent. This sample doesn't show it, but I have my house painted that color, so you can take from me. Look at Smoky Ash for the ceiling: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/smokyash.
3 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:46PM
janishill
I would paint the walls this color: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/winterwheat keeping the trim a warm white. Then I'd remove the cabinet doors, distress the cabinets lighty and add baskets for an inexpensive update.

Next I would paint the gold mirror frames white, slightly distressing them as well, and add a new light fixture.

If you can find a really deep dark red to use as an accent it could look great. Add Roman shades that have the same colors used in the MB.

Hope to see updates!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 10:08PM
Natalie
The paint color houssaon suggested is perfect for this room. Keep it a medium neutral hue for walls, and off-white for linens/towels/window treatments/etc.. Good Luck and CongratS!
[houzz=
]
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 11:03PM
Kara Doss
I think a goldenrod color would look very nice- I like the idea of just going ahead and embracing it all. PB, green and All!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 1:07AM
angiesays
Looks like there is a lot going on in that bathroom. The countertops are quite a statement and cannot be competed with. Since the floor is neutral, my way would be to pick up the flooring color and perhaps do a slight faux finish (VERY subtle) to match the flooring as closely as possible. The faux effect would tie in with the style of the countertops without competing with them. Cabinets are busy, so the same flooring color in semi gloss would go on them as well as the doors, windows, and vanity mirror. However, if all of the other woodwork in the house is the same color as the existing bathroom cabinets, I would leave them alone. Since this is not to be the permanent solution, the neutrality may help to better see future possibilities.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 2:02AM
feeny
I think houssaon has nailed the wall color, and taking down that wallpaper and the fussy window coverings will help immensely. The little I can see of the limestone floors looks lovely, and while I too am not a fan of all that dark green, there are many worse colors that you could have been stuck with. I think it can be neutralized with wise choices around it, strategically simplifying the room.
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 5:15AM
More Discussions
Room makeover advice to contemporary
Just bought new house and want a contemporary style....
What color sofa?
Hi - I am going to order a new sofa and I am picking...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
New roof color
Hi, we're going to put on a new roof. We're replacing...
Configuration of kitchen
Layout if room prohibits us from going the layout we'd...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.