powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help with our challenging kitchen!!
Bonnie
December 10, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My husband and I recently moved into a large loft. Our style is world eclectic. We are not sure if we want to decorate the kitchen in that style or make it look like a professional kitchen with stainless steel, etc. Our biggest challenge is the wall behind the sink and cabinets which is 13 feet wide and 16 feet high from the floor to ceiling. We do not want to put the traditional row of cabinets on that wall. We would like it to look unique, creative, perhaps funky. Any and all recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks,
Bonnie and Bill

Tag words: kitchen, kitchen design, eclectic kitchen, asian kitchen, kitchen loft, cabinets, professional kitchen, loft lighting, kitchen products, kitchen countertops, kitchen faucets, kitchen sink, kitchen
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
How about open shelving in the kitchen, with colorful pottery/dishes?
[houzz=
]
3 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 2:56PM
Bonnie
Thanks for the suggestion. We like that look.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 3:09PM
charleee
I like it too, you're welcome. Your walls are so high! Amazing!
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 3:11PM
Bonnie
I know, that is the challenge!
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 3:14PM
charleee
Well I think you've done a really good job with it, but I don't know how you can reach all the cobwebs!
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 3:20PM
freetocreate
The open shelving is a great idea! There are lots of ideas for it on Houzz "eclectic kitchen wall shelving" Here's one I like because it has wall art behind the shelving.
5 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 3:25PM
wmpj
How about installing a long island that's the length of your other cabinets or close to it? This will also give you the storage you need and will hide the pots and pans you have displayed now. You can also have bar stools which will give you more seating when company is over. This may also allow you to remove the table and chairs you have now over by the window where you could add a couple of upholstered chairs.
4 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 3:34PM
yvonnecmartin
I suggest that you paint the cabinets grey to cut down the contrast between the wood and the appliances. Probably you need at least one shelf about the cabinets to hold mugs, wineglasses, etc. I suggest undermount lighting on the shelf so that you can get rid of the lamp on the countertop.

As to the big wall, it might be time to engage your artist friends or graffiti artists. You might also find an amazing fabric bedspread from an ethnic store, or two or three. A wall of "vintage" posters would also look great. Choose a theme--opera, travel, food, animals--and fill the wall with them. (I'm wishing I had your space and a less conservative partner!)

The doors could be either the same grey or perhaps the yellow and green of the outside wall.

Let us see the results.
7 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 3:37PM
decoenthusiaste
How funky or eclectic do you want it? Don't forget to get a roll of LED's for whatever project you do! You've got a great space to do just such a kitchen. Please post the results!
Inspired LED Lighting- Flexible Strips
Stir Cooking School
Basement Bar
Modern Kitchen
Design-Build
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 3:41PM
freetocreate
Had to share this pic. Combination of stainless steel--professional--cupboards and world eclectic shelving.
7 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 3:41PM
Pamela Danner
So a couple of questions do you like the way the brick is painted? Personally I love it but what your intent for the brick is will change my suggestion
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 3:47PM
Pamela Danner
Second question what is behind each door? And where is your sleeping space?
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 3:50PM
freetocreate
Haha! I was just getting ready to post the Modern Kitchen that decoenthusiaste posted above for funky with pops of color!
2 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 3:53PM
PRO
Travis Robert Renovations
Great open space... How about using some reclaimed lumber for floating shelves above your sink/cabinetry area. This will look nice with the adjacent brick walls
8 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 4:17PM
michigammemom
Love the vibrancy of this soaring loft space! I would suggest a continuation of the painted brick color scheme to your work area. I love the painted yellow shelves in this inspiration photo. The strip lighting makes them stand out like wall sculpture.
4 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 4:41PM
Bonnie
Thanks, everyone, for all the great suggestions and beautiful pics!! Lots to process!

To Pamela:
1) we also love the painted brick and do not want to paint over it with a color but we plan on using a clear finish to seal it. 2) the door on the right leads to a pantry/laundry room. the door on the left opens to a powder room. The doors from the kitchen lead to a living room (about 40 X 30). off the living room is the bedroom and master bath.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 5:32PM
Pamela Danner
Thanks for answering my questions I like another posters suggestion to paint the wall one of the colors of the brick I like the green because you can pick up the yellow in the selection of cabinets and counters. I would use color blocking. I'll get into that but just one more question where is your refrigerator?
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 2:53AM
Pamela Danner
I found your refrig is it possible for you to post a picture of the wall that the refrig is on? I'm going to suggest rearranging your kitchen a bit and I would like to see that wall
0 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 3:31AM
Bonnie
We decided not to move appliances for reasons pertaining to the old mill building in which we live. We were thinking about putting cabinets surrounding the refrigerator for more cabinet space.
what is "color blocking?"
0 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 5:37AM
nomadkath
wow, I love your loft! the brick walls look great....I would just bring those colors around to the kitchen wall. I really like the large, beautiful 'world' fabric on that wall......its big enough, and would soften the look. I love those long rustic wood farm tables.....high enough to use in the kitchen, but that could be your eating table as well.....and maybe move the sofa sitting area down where the table is now.
2 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 6:40AM
Natalie
Hi---yes totally agree with the open shelving. LOVE the painted brick! Your furnishings are Fab too. For wall color in kitchen, I suggest a plum hue to balance the palette. Pics for inspiration. Good Luck and keep us posted...
[houzz=
5 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 7:07AM
Bonnie
thanks for the great ideas and pics!
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 7:35AM
PRO
studio | FORMA
A lot of character in your loft. Love the high ceilings. In keeping with your ecclectic style I could see you working in an encoustic tile backsplash with open shelving above. Since you have the two doors at either side of the casework and the awesome HIGH ceilings I would play with that and take the backsplash in between the two doors all the way up to the line of the top of the doors with some open shelving. There are many styles and patterns now, some traditional and some more modern and with vibrant color combinations. Here are some pictures for inspiration.
3 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 7:50AM
Sarah Saunders
That big blank wall has no balancing architectural weight. I would do a combination of open shelving and enclosed cabinetry - to 9 foot or so with your high ceilings. I would put in an island and move a slide in range to it. Look at which direction your floor joists go for ventilation for it. I'd move the dishwasher to the other side of the sink to get it out of the way of work traffic. I'd put in pantries if you have space near the fridge. You also need a home for your microwave. It could be a drawer one in the island. Seating on the back side of the island of course.
2 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 7:52AM
cheries
Have you tried putting the dining table across from the kitchen where the sofa is now, that would define the kitchen eating area better. Consider putting the sofa on the wall where the angled armoire is now, providing there is room for it there, then moving the armoire to the narrow section of brick between the windows.

OR..... move the sofa under the double windows where the dining table is now and move the armoire over flat against the wall just to the left of where it is now. Either way would define your areas more clearly. Take measurements, see what will fit and what won't, sketch it first to see how you like it before you move anything.

Love the ideas for open shelving in the kitchen Michiganmemom suggested and the suggestion for some cool art prints by yvonnecmartin.

The painted brick is beautiful as is, it is an unusual space but, a very COOL space.
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 8:08AM
Bonnie
Hey Bonnie, I love your space! What fun! We have the same screen name?! I did not think that was possible?
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 8:21AM
Sarah Saunders
If you put in the island, the couch will have to move. You could place it against the wall where the table is and then put the table and chairs there like a banquet. You'd have more seating and still use it.
2 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 8:26AM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I love the colors on the brick wall, and they way you pulled those colors into your rug. Fun!
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 8:49AM
lessismoore
What a wonderful space!
What about open industrial type stainless shelving (wall hung). Here is a link to some stainless kitchens with some nice ideas. http://www.desiretoinspire.net/blog/2010/4/27/reader-request-stainless-kitchens.html
With a wall of that size, you can get away with a much darker color, I'm thinking a brick red (to pick up the bits of exposed brick in the other walls?) In the link images, there is a nice shot of a "distressed" paint treatment that could work too. Tie in your yellows and greens via a nice ceramic objet collection? You have the space! Also, paint the doors and moldings (white molding, and maybe a green and a yellow door)
6 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 9:28AM
Bonnie
lots of great ideas! thanks!
0 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 11:22AM
Elizabeth
First of all, this kitchen is beautiful already! I am a huge fan of exposed brick. I also love the open shelving idea. I think the wall behind your sink would look amazing with some patterned wall paper or even just a giant mural like wall sticker. We have some at www.wallsneedlove.com that I really like. I hope you post some pictures of the completed project, I would love to see how it turns out!!
3 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 11:46AM
smartin1
What a wonderful space you have! I love the brick and wouldn't touch it. The rug is fabulous and I love the lime cabinet.
Now, I'm no designer, but I think the cabinets need to change. They are traditional Country and you look like your look is more hip. If you can't afford a whole new redesign, I would paint them and change the hardware to a bit more funky. The shelves are a great idea, but I would stack them vertically, into sections, to break up the horizontal line of the room.
I would replace the table with something square and pull it away from the wall, then do a set of four lucite or molded chairs with it, to up that eclectic factor.
You've got such a great space to work with to begin with! It's just too cool!
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 2:47PM
Pamela Danner
Color blocking is a design concept that is very trendy right now in fashion and floral design but is applicable in interior design as well. I would suggest carrying the colors and patterns that are present in your brick walls onto the back wall on a much larger scale, for example lets say you paint the majority of the consider the cabinets one color block. You could put a large square of
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 4:59PM
Pamela Danner
Sorry paint the wall green to match the brick. The existing cabinets are close enough to the yellow to represent that color I would consider placing an arrangement of shelves and cabinets not necessarily in a line but in a pleasing arrangement with horizontal and vertical lines that echo the white on the brick wall I will try and find a picture to show what I mean you could punch it u further by placing red accessories on the white shelves or even putting a random red wall cabinet
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 5:06PM
Pamela Danner
I want you to imagine a similar arrangement of shelves and cabinets in white hanging on a green wall and on a larger scale over your existing cabinets
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 5:15PM
Bonnie
lessismore,
thanks for the photos and access to the website that they are from. those stainless steel kitchens are similar to what i had in mind for one of the options.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 11:19AM
Bonnie
studio FORMA,
thanks for the suggestion and pics. i love that look, we had thought of tiles before but for an area that large, it would be very expensive. unless you know how and where to get them at a more reasonable price...
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 11:22AM
Billie G
I think a french country style kitchen would really suit your loft look.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 11:27AM
Bonnie
Pamela
i love those ideas, thanks for your time and talent!
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 11:47AM
Bonnie
lots of great ideas
tnanks, everyone!
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 11:49AM
Pamela Danner
No problem good luck!
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 12:19PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
I am glad you liked the idea. You could always just install a 2' backsplash with a shelf above it to transition from tile to drywall. A more cost effective idea is to find a Wallpaper that is vinyl for cleanability with a tile pattern. Some really good tile pattens on wallpaper now out there.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 12:21PM
Jess Dixon
Hi Bonnie - lots of good ideas here! I admit I'm a bit too lazy to read through all of them though. My first question is what's on the other side of the wall. I know you said a pantry & a powder room, but do they have the same high ceilings as the kitchen and the rest of your loft? I ask just in case, because if you did then I think putting clerestory windows up high on that wall would be a neat use of the space (particularly if you found some that matched the look of the main windows, i.e. multi-paned/old looking). Maybe you could even just do transoms above those doors? To my eye, they need something to give them more height.

Also, would you be able to open up/modify the pantry door location? Your kitchen just seems disassociated from every element of itself, like the cabinets and appliances just got plunked down wherever. Would you be able to remove the last cabinet next to the pantry door so that you could access the pantry through there, freeing up the wall & floor space that you currently need to open the door where it is? That way you could have tall cupboards for storage next to the fridge (to the left, where the door currently opens into) and also around/above it/next to it to build it in, so then fridge would be visually connected to the rest of the kitchen (presuming you'd get matching cabinets!)

I also like the idea of adding a bigger/more functional island (with bar stools maybe?) to visually pull the kitchen away from the wall and into the room. It currently looks like a living room happens to have kitchen appliance in it. Making the kitchen have more presence with matching cabinets/building in the fridge/adding an island would make the space say "I'm actually a kitchen!" Also, matching cabinets don't have to look staid - you can definitely mix in some open shelving or glass doors to make things still look funky.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 12:59PM
lefty47
HI -- I love your loft and you have had a flood of wonderful ideas , I just want to add that I think you should keep with a raw industrial vibe for the kitchen and not go with any ethnic kitchen themes . Big raw old wood beam shelving and storage cabinets etc. from commercial restaurant suppilers . Add in an asian cabinet or two and to fill the tall wall spaces you could put up some old commercial advertising signage even asian ones . And large asian banners and objects . I like that you have left the walls the old way BUT if you want to paint , you could rub wax on the worn parts and then the paint won't stick to those places and then the wax can be hand sanded off or removed with heat and brown paper . Then the walls will still have that worn look. Might be lots of work but maybe worth it to you. If you are planning to keep the cabinets that are there , then I would paint them a dark color and add some galvinized metal features , like some L- metal to any corners and so on. Maybe cover the counter tops with stainless or zinc or copper or even tempered glass.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 3:04PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
There are several manufactures out there with awesome wallpaper patterns. Urban Outfitters has a freehand sketchy tile pattern that is quite modern. Jonathan Adler also has a line wallcoverings that you may like and many manufacturers will take your own design and make a wallpaper for you. You could then buy one(1) tile of your choice and have the wallpaper manufacturer quarter turn it and mirror it to make up the whole pattern of the tile design. It would be a less expensive option if you really like the look.
2 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:28PM
Grace Reed
I can't begin to tell you how much I love you're loft!! My next move will be into a loft. I have several questions. Will the existing cabinetry, open shelving and the pantry give you enough storage? And, will you be using the existing refrigerator and range?
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 3:41PM
freetocreate
Following up on Pamela Danner's color blocking ideas--These are pics of walls using stainless steel tiles or panels--mixing stainless and color blocking. Of course, there is a more inexpensive way to do this--stainless steel paint for instance. Some pics to fuel your imagination! :) http://www.dspusa.net/news/inoxta/428 http://www.dspusa.net/news/inoxta/446
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 5:07PM
Bonnie
Thank you all for sharing your great ideas and talents! We LOVE houzz and are so grateful for its range and depth of services.
With everyone's input and help, we decided to go with a stainless steel kitchen rather than the global look. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer of stainless steel cabinets?
We want to go with the open shelves and possibly some closed ones, as well, but not sure how to design that. The wall behind the sink is overwhelmingly big! There is going to be a lot of whatever we decide so we need to absolutely love it!
the door on the right side of the sink leads to a pantry and laundry room. we can put a door on another wall into that area so we can close off that door and expand the cabinets around to include the refrigerator. that will give us more storage and also make the room look more cohesive.
that is as far as we have gotten so far.
Again, thanks, but dont go away, we still need your help!
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 10:00PM
Mariane Maffeo
If you are not going to replace the cabinets, I would paint them distressed blue in the same tonal value as the green and yellow on the other wall. Then you could pull in the green and yellow with pottery such as Fiesta ware. The wall behind the stove could have open shelves with built in wine racks and plate holders to display your dishes and pottery.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 10:23PM
hockey456
I find it strange to have the stove without anything over it. How about a funky range hood?

2 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 10:23PM
Bonnie
funky range hood is a great idea! wonderful pic, too
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 10:29PM
nikitaki
i love this loft !! the kitchen area doesnt look like a kitchen though! i think you should put some white cabinets ... i will send you some photos , maybe add a wall oposite the existing cabinets to put some extra capinets and close the area kitchen a bit , but it wiil be open at both sites if you know what i mean.
3 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 10:40PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
Nikitaki: I really like that picture you included with the cabinets sitting atop a high base. A very clean and modern look!! This look would look awesome in the loft. A great way to transition from old to new. Also in this photo notice the range hood. Its just an small cap above the range with the venting inside the wall. Don't know if this would be an option for the loft since there is the brick wall but is a nice and clean idea. Love the high tile backsplash!
1 Like   December 13, 2012 at 6:30AM
Bonnie
Nikitaki, i echo studio FORMA, i love your pics and ideas for the wall space. the wall behind the stove is not brick, it is plaster and there is no apartment above us so i think we should be able to have a range hood like the one pictured above. I will check with my contractor.
We can't put cabinets facing the existing ones because there are large windows on that side of the room. However we can move the door to the pantry and put cabinets in an "L" shape around the refrigerator.
Nikitaki, do you know if the green pattern on the wall in one of your photos is wallpaper?
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 8:28AM
PRO
WineRacks.com
I think some wine racks would work well in the space. We at WineRacks.com offer wood wine racks but we also have some fun metal ones you can hang on the wall.
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 8:31AM
1 Like   December 13, 2012 at 8:51AM
PRO
studio | FORMA
I recognize this picture from an editorial I have collected over the years and its not wallpaper, rather the encoustic tiles (cement tiles) mentioned earlier.
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 12:17PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
Also, I read your comment on perhaps relocating the pantry door and I think this would be a great idea. Since you need a place for storage and for your microwave I love the of having a long open shefl above the main counter top and cabinets above and below on the right hand side where the Refrigerator exists.
It would be great if you could ad cabinet doors to your Refrigerator to give you a more custome feel. See photo below:
1 Like   December 13, 2012 at 12:23PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
Corner, space saving idea
3 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 12:24PM
Bonnie
wow, studio FORMA, that corner configuration is perfect! thanks, again!!
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 12:26PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
The floor to ceiling unit to the right of the photo is the concealed refrigerator and storage above. Very clean look.
1 Like   December 13, 2012 at 12:34PM
Bonnie
its a great look but we have decided to go with stainless steel cabinets. i love the custom ones above in the photo from decoenthusiaste "contemporary stainless steel and cherry wood". it combines the warmth and color of the wood with the clean, modern look of the stainless.
we have also been looking at wallpaper, as per your suggestion. we found some cool patterns from ESKAYEL that might bring the mustard and green in the brick wall together. And they also customize which i can look into. I ordered quite a few samples.
1 Like   December 13, 2012 at 1:17PM
Bonnie
the scale is misleading on the photos that show just the pattern with no perspective. on large walls, does it look better for the pattern to be large or small or does it not matter?
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 1:18PM
Bonnie
i hope the colors match well!
opinions and suggestions are welcome, as always!
1 Like   December 13, 2012 at 1:21PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
Bonnie: Out of the 3 pictures posted I like the first choice above. Specialy with that aubergine color on your doors coming through. However, I would question the effect when paired with the stainless steel casework. It may start to look a little dark and somber from afar, blending in a little to much. I do like the direction you are going and can see how you acomplished it with the rug in your space.

I checked out the choices ESKAYEL had both on their website and on 2modern.com. Here a few others that might work for color and scale. Its a good idea to have a large enough sample that you could pair next to the stainless steel, you could always use your current work table (stainless steel) to see how all the materials are going to work together (stainless steel, wood, patterned wallcovering, drywall above).
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 10:05PM
nikitaki
i will check if its a wallpaper and let you know :)
1 Like   December 13, 2012 at 11:16PM
nikitaki
nope its tiles ! but you can find similar easy or you could put wallpaper, that will be nice as well :)
1 Like   December 13, 2012 at 11:18PM
greenthumb2
For stainless steel purchases, you may look at commercial kitchen wholesalers. You can find deals with them as with any other company and get something top-notch.

Consider who will service your appliances though. So, example; the range.
1 Like   December 13, 2012 at 11:25PM
Bonnie
Nakitaki, thanks for checking up to see what it was.
thanks, greenthumb2 for your suggestion. I will look into it.
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 12:30PM
Bonnie
tiles i like
1 Like   December 14, 2012 at 10:21PM
Bonnie
studio FORMA, im concerned the wallpapers i like might be too busy. what do you think? i will look for more simple patterns.
i love these tiles, just not sure if they are too expensive for such a large expanse
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 10:25PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
I like the tile. very elegant. You could alway check out your local quary for remnant pieces or overstock.

Check out the following sites: http://www.allmodern.com/Wallpaper-C367040.html?refid=GX24915938974.Wallpaper~&position=none&network=d&mkwid=cfOpRxa0u&pcrid=24915938974_mtrckid_158046y9505&gclid=CJOc3PaKnbQCFYN_QgodBGgA3A

Also Brewster has a section under "themes" called tiles that you may find interesting: http://www.brewsterwallcovering.com/tile-wallpaper.aspx?page=1&size=16
1 Like   December 15, 2012 at 12:14PM
Grace Reed
Bonnie-I really like your tile! And, Studio, thanks for the wallpaper link. I'm going to check out the "brick" at Brewster. If it's really realistic, I'll probably use it.
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 1:49PM
lessismoore
I've no idea on what the wall papers or coverings or tile might cost, so just had to throw out there, that it might be worthwhile getting a quote from a local muralist/faux finish artist on doing the wall. I'm attaching an image of some nice "distressed" work as an example. You can then get an exact and complimentary color scheme in the work. And unlike some other work, with a distressed wall mural, if you don't like it as it is going on, it is easy to incorporate changes as you go, just painting out or over various areas. I'm on the west coast, so have no recommendations in your area. But I'm sure you have several art schools out there! Here is a link to the faux work in a restaurant that apparently was patterned after one in N.Y. http://trendland.com/barrio-chino-sydney/
If this is close to what you have in mind (and it works so well with the industrial vibe) you can, with an artist, combine many of elements that you like: Textures, colors, patterns ... into one harmonious piece for the wall.
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 2:11PM
Bonnie
lessismoore, thanks for that idea! that look would look good with the industrial style.
and since we live in a loft that is filled with artists, it would be easy to get someone to do it.
we will look into it..
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 10:03AM
Bonnie
thank you, everyone, for all you great ideas. We definitely will never be able to say that we decorated our kitchen...it is truly a group effort!
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 10:04AM
lessismoore
Bonnie: I wish there was a way to private message people here at times but it seems there isn't. Just wanted to say, that you have been so pleasant and gracious in response to the comments, all of them, and it's wonderful when folks who post in the discussion groups respond like you have: with clarity, information and appreciation. So, thank you!
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 10:22AM
PRO
studio | FORMA
Bonnie: I second Lessismoore on her comment of appreciation. Your own efforts in researching for your own project along with the group of folks that have commented have certaily made it a pleasure to help out.
Please do post Before and After pictures when you get the project done. I am sure it will be awesome!
2 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 10:55AM
Bonnie
thanks, but i truly am so grateful for all the enthusiastic help and great ideas! In addition to the wealth of suggestions, I find it so much fun to collaborate with people who are doing the same things rather than decorating in a vacuum like I did in the past.

And studio/FORMA, dont leave me now--I have miles to go before I sleep!!
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 11:44AM
PRO
Cozy Casita
Love that second pic in lessismoore's post ... a perfect fit for your space, I think. Would also second the idea, from others, of installing an island that runs the length of your existing cabinets, to increase your storage space (without having to use wall units.) You could do this with, perhaps, a free-standing unit, or one on castors, that you could place beside your existing stainless piece, leaving yourself options as to exact placement. ... That's an enviable looking space you have there, regardless of the final decision !
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 12:27AM
Bonnie
cozy casita, thanks for your input!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:51AM
PRO
studio | FORMA
How is the project coming along?? ;)
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:16AM
Bonnie
hi studio/FORMA, nice to hear from you! happy new year!! we are still working out the details. right now we are planning on doing the commercial look with stainless steel cabinets, altho they are hard to find! still not sure about that large wall, but it is coming together, albeit slowly.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:24AM
Bonnie
Happy, healthy (and all the other cliches) new year to all our fellow decorators!!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 11:26AM
Lorene Frank Farrior
Bonnie, thank you for posting your question! So many great ideas for my space as well. Happy New Year!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 11:53AM
PRO
Shak├║ff
Wow Bonnie! What a great space!! I see so much potential for a winning kitchen with that amazing open floor plan. Loving the open shelf look many seemed to suggest above. When you're ready for lighting, I would love to suggest our eclectic lighting collections. Check out our houzz page!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:16PM
Bonnie
thanks Lory. its such fun to share ideas!! good luck with your project!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:56PM
Bonnie
Hi everyone. We have been working hard on designing the kitchen. We would like opinions on this new idea...
We are thinking of removing the wall between the living room and the kitchen so it has an open feel and flow. The floor plan will still have the kitchen be mostly separate, just an "L" shape.
The dilemma is that the two styles will be different. The living room is world eclectic and the kitchen will be more like commercial/industrial with wood to warm it up. Do you think that would work or would the two styles be too confusing.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 8:28AM
Bonnie
this photo is the entrance to the kitchen from the living room. we would remove the wall where the mirror currently is. From the kitchen, it would be the wall with the refrigerator.
Also, we are not sure if we would remove the wall up to the ceiling or put the French doors horizontally above the entrance for the effect. thoughts? Thanks!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:29AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like the idea of mixing open shelving with some horizontal glass front cabinets mixed in at different heights. Light them inside it would look great. You can get everything at Ikea.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:36AM
Bonnie
This is another angle of the living room so you can see the decor better. kitchen entrance is on the right in the back.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 8:37AM
lessismoore
I think the plants create a unifying feel from space to space. The french doors would then become "transom lights?" Also, introducing more dark wrought iron elements in the kitchen would further unify the styles. The living room looks beautiful - your space/taste is just remarkable.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 8:43AM
Bonnie
thanks, lessismoore. you sent us a picture that represents, in part, the look we would like to achieve. yes, the french doors would be transom lights.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:50AM
Bonnie
another
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 8:51AM
Bonnie
yet another
2 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:52AM
Bonnie
we love this wall
2 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:53AM
Bonnie
another question...the island.
we currently have a gas stove but i was thinking it would be more social to have an electric stove on the island where we will have seating. i know gas is better to cook with than electric but i think it might be worth it. thoughts? thanks!!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:00AM
lessismoore
I'm a big fan of gas stoves - Can you have both? Say a nice stainless industrial styled range/oven and a smaller electric cooktop in the island? Personally, I can't chat and cook at the same time ( I can barely chew gum and walk). I like the island as a prep area more than a cooking surface. No one gets burned and you don't end up with a drink spilled into your stir fry. Also, would you need double venting/hoods then too?
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 9:16AM
feeny
Go with a gas stove (or if you like electric ovens, go with a gas stove top and electric oven), and don't put it in the island if you don't have to. With your high ceilings venting it will be a problem, and everyone seems to say that the downdraft vents used in islands don't work very well. Gas is just so much better to cook with.
3 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:25AM
Bonnie
lessismoore and feeny, that is what everyone is telling me! no stove in the island.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 12:38PM
PRO
Rustica Hardware
It looks like you could use a place to prepare your food. Take a look at some of these butcher blocks. They look awesome. See: http://chopbloccuttingboards.com/butcher-blocks/
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 10:11AM