Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen paint color
lilymax61
December 10, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are moving into a new house next week. Eeek! We're not ready to invest in a kitchen remodel but are looking for some affordable fixes. We dont love the cabinet color or the two colors of granite. Is there a wall color that can get us started in the right direction?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
A drastic update would be to paint the cabinets black for a more updated look. Otherwise the walls could be painted a more neutral color since the current yellow makes the entire kitchen reads as one plane.

0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 7:00PM
charleee
I don't mind your cabinet color at all, but for me it's the island that's the problem. I think I would be tempted to replace it with something contrasting, perhaps black as Dy says above.
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 7:12PM
judianna20
With bobbi on this, your cabs are o k, but the island is so THERE, especially the legs on the end. Maybe the cabinet maker has a panel you could put on the ends to match the ends of the other cabs. Then decide if you want to paint the island.
Kitchen & Dining Crown Point Sand HC-90 Paint
For a wall color with your natural cabs, how about BM Stratton Blue, or Nantucket Gray, or another BM, Crown Point Sand, which I think may be perfect with your cabs (if I can trust my monitor).

bobbi and Dy, do you think the ceiling molding (not the cab molding) should be white?
2 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 7:27PM
lilymax61
Thanks for the comments... a few additional photos. the other side of the kitchen has a hearth. I've also attached the two types of granite. I like your idea to go dark on the island. I agree the woodwork on the island and the hood is dated. If we paint the island and the hood black could that work? I was debating painting the crown molding white... you guys agree? Appreciate the help.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 7:37PM
lilymax61
hearth on opposite side of kitchen
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 7:39PM
lilymax61
two types of granite (alas, how i wish they were the same)
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 7:41PM
lefty47
HI -- I don't think the cabinets are the problem . The yellowish wall color is making the cabinets have a red tone . I agree about painting the island a black ( charcoal or off black ) and maybe change the granite top for a maple cutting board top . Paint the walls a medium dark blued grey and the ceiling a light blue white and paint the crown ceiling molding a white, the same as the baseboards. This should make the cabinets a more toned down color. You could also change the drawer pulls and and cabinet knobs and upgrade the lighting . PS: Remove the pot rack , it would look better without it .
2 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 8:22PM
Darzy
lefty said what I was thinking...sort of. Agree to paint the island a dark charcoal or black and replace the top with a cutting board top. Paint the crown moulding white (like the baseboards) but I think the walls more of a sand or antique white. I would replace the cabinet hardware with black (or paint them black..they can get pricey). The bottom hardware would look nice in a black "cup" style.
2 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 8:32PM
janishill
If you put all these ideas together you will have a great looking room before you know it!

Paint ceiling moulding white, paint island deep charcoal or black then add a butcher block top, spray paint cabinet hardware black or oil rubbed bronze, remove pot rack, paint walls a contrasting color to tone down the gold tones.

I don't care for gray and a neutral is going to look about the same as you have now. Why not go with something like this: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/maidenhairfern
3 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 9:38PM
Darzy
Good color option janishill!
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 9:53PM
janishill
Thanks Darzy.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 10:22PM
charleee
judyg, Yes! The baseboards are white, so should be the ceiling molding. Good call, I didn't even notice that one !!!
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 1:35AM
PRO
Sterling Property Services
Because they're modest in scale, I suggest painting the baseboards and crown with the wall, instead of treating them as trim. It would unify the room and raise the perceived ceiling height.
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 5:26AM
charleee
One day, natural wood and brick finishes will be popular again and we're all going to be in a lot of trouble! I saw a house once where the walls were yellow and the baseboards were purple. If you're going to paint the trim anything but white, make it the wall color, please!
1 Like   December 14, 2012 at 5:29AM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I would invest in focusing on the island. If you changed the finish, updated the style a bit and switched out the granite, it would make a huge difference. The rest of the kitchen is nice, and could stay the same once the island is updated. It has good bones, just needs a little updating.
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 5:54AM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
Lots of great suggestions! I agree with the island being treated as a separate piece especially since the granite is different from the rest of the kitchen. I think a charcoal black is a good choice but would suggest looking at the colour swatches against the granite to make sure. I'm not sure about matching the hood to the island. It would be nice to make the island the "center piece". I also would suggest removing the pot holder and put up an interesting pendant. The crown should definitely be the same as the baseboard. And as for the wall colour I think your best bet is to pick a cream/neutral colour that will tie in all that is going on in the room. Enjoy your new home!
1 Like   December 14, 2012 at 7:35AM
Natalie
Hi---sorry getting in here late. I would paint the cabinets CREAM or off-white. It's just too much wood and no contrast, nothing interesting. Sorry. The light cabinets would make a HUGE difference. Sure it will be work, but your efforts will pay off... I hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
[houzz=][houzz=Kitchen][houzz=White Kitchens][houzz=Teri Turan]
1 Like   December 14, 2012 at 7:46AM
Natalie
Found a couple more kitchens for inspiration. The counters are similar to yours... :) one has a stained island-you could do the same...
[houzz=Kitchen 1][houzz=Kitchen 2][houzz=Glamorous]
1 Like   December 14, 2012 at 10:55AM
kah416
Hi! Here's a few nice colors that would go good with your cabinets and floors :) Also, what about changing out then vent hood to match your SS appliances? Just an idea on a easy update :) Hope this helps any! :)
1 Like   December 15, 2012 at 7:30PM
lilymax61
I love the ideas! As a first step, we're going to paint the kitchen crown white and the walls BM Boothbay Gray. Should we paint the entire perimeter with the white crown? or stop above the hearth and the hood? Should we paint the crown above the cabinets? Thanks!
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 6:03AM
charleee
I'm a firm believer that all trim should be painted the same color, including any chair rails you have. It's good to keep a consistent look.
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 8:37AM
janishill
Agree with Bobbi regarding the trim.
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 3:04PM
wmpj
Do not paint the cabinet crown molding white. All of the molding that is attached to the top of the cabinets and hood should remain as they are unless you are painting the cabinets too. The crown on the cabients is part of the cabinetry. As for the fireplace, you could paint the paneling and the molding above the mantel white.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 4:33PM
judianna20
You need to paint the molding white. It is molding, not cabinetry. Your cabinets should be viewed just as if it were furniture.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 4:46PM
PRO
Jerri Holan & Associates, AIA
I think painted cabinets and lighter wall colors would be much nicer. Go for a creamy white on the cabinets and perhaps a buttery, light yellow on the walls. Both colors are warm and will go well with the wood floors.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 4:54PM
calikym
I would change the fan hood above the stove to a more modern stainless steel to match appliances and reduce the amount of wood.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 4:56PM
mllgc
Hi - We ALMOST chose new white facings to replace cabinetry that is kind of a pink beige, but I decided to have the cabinets done in charcoal instead because I wanted something radically different yet upbeat. Just after making that decision I noticed that Style at Home is featuring white kitchens in their January issue. Sigh. Anyway, there is also a lot of trim in the kitchen (one whole wall is white framed windows and the ceiling is 17 feet high). The "white" we used is BM Cloud White, which is a warm white. The cabinets have not yet been installed. Picture to follow in a few weeks when it is all done :).
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 4:57PM
sacapuntaslapioz
Your kitchen cabinets are actually very nice. you could leave them as they are or paint them. the island looks expensive and well made. what I would do is paint the island in white or cream or in a black and then distress the paint to create more depth. remove the pan rack, substitute it by a island pendant. I like the sage green or a greige for the walls then paint the ceiling in a tinted white in eggshell and the ceiling moulding in the same color but in a semi-gloss. that granite in the island is probably worth 4000 installed. it is beautiful granite and all you need is to make the island furniture. alternatively paint the cabinets white and leave island in wood. it is what I did.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 5:05PM
sacapuntaslapioz
as for the moulding of the cabinets they are part of the kitchen. the ones with wall underneath are crown moulding
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 5:13PM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.