Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How do you think about IKEA?
fcsadfsdaf
December 11, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Do you use IKEA? How do you think about it?
Its great!!!!!
ordinary
disappointing
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
soctday
请问请问v打算
December 11, 2012 at 1:14am     
charleee
I like a lot of their designs, and their reasonable prices. Their floating shelves are great!
December 11, 2012 at 2:32am   
feeny
I think of it longingly, as the nearest IKEA store is a 4 hour drive round trip.
December 11, 2012 at 5:14am   
simplify52
Same here feeny!!! I constantly look at the catalog and web site and plan non-existant rooms using their stuff! I think I'm sick. LOL
December 11, 2012 at 8:41am     
apple_pie_order
Their designers are first rate. Their ecological impact could be reduced if their furniture weren't so flimsy. Furniture finishes are often poor quality. You get what you pay for.
December 11, 2012 at 8:52am     
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Certain items are really great, however you definitely get what you pay for. Great for kids' rooms and dorms!
December 11, 2012 at 8:54am   
judianna20
If you do not have the 5 figure budget for the kitchen, there is nothing better than IKEA. And when there is a sale, SCORE! You have to go to a store and see everything in person. (And have the Swedish meatballs for lunch.)
December 11, 2012 at 8:58am     
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
I have always liked IKEA for certain things. It sometimes can be a little too modern for me though. However you need to check out this site: http://www.ikeahackers.net/
They come up with the coolest ideas to reuse, change, or repurpose IKEA furniture. You can really create some cool things out of the basic furniture they sell.
December 11, 2012 at 9:08am   
PRO
Designing Richmond
I think of IKEA for the younger sect... the 35 and youngers... It always reminds me of struggling student furniture... My kids and their friends purchase for their apartments, That's my association... I would never recommend to a client who is concerned about quality. On the other hand... IKEA is always fun to shop for fun house wares! Love their stores!
I guess I'm trying to say it has it's place!
December 11, 2012 at 9:25am   
soosamagoose
I'm working on an old lake house. Have used Ikea for living-room furniture, some bedding and in process of installing bath vanity, sink and mirror. Ikea prices have made it easier as this is a second home. I'm trying to combine rustic with contemporary. We'll see how it holds up. Will make a decision within year whether or not to use Ikea for the kitchen. Any thoughts?
December 11, 2012 at 9:50am   
sacapuntaslapioz
some of their stuff is great. some is so-so and some is just awful. hard to pass a sweeping judgement. the billy bookcase is a great buy for the price. the mattresses seem pretty good. some of the chairs and designs are absolutly wonderful.
December 11, 2012 at 10:09am   
PRO
Lola Watson Interior Design
IKEA can be great for those trendy items that you don't want to spend a fortune on but IKEA tends to be considered disposable furniture. It is not quality made and will not last long (hence to why it is less expensive). In today's society where we are moving towards a more sustainable and greener lifestyle, we need to really think about these non-quality items that will end up in landfill.
We are not dismissing IKEA and think they have some great things but would like people to think before they buy and to look at furniture as an investment and something that they will have for a lifetime. Quality furniture may have a higher upfront cost but in the long run, if it lasts compared to consistently buying and disposing of furniture, it is worth it!
December 11, 2012 at 10:20am   
Audrey
I like a lot of their designs and appreciate their attention to function and details. They're not high end by any means, but they are within my personal budget range.
December 11, 2012 at 10:53am   
charleee
Lola Watson, I completely agree with you. My kitchen cabinets are original to the house, built in 1967. Solid maple. Doubtful today's cabinets could be this old and still lood good. AND function!
December 11, 2012 at 1:17pm   
soosamagoose
Response to Lola: I never think of anything I buy as disposable, especially furniture. I buy what I can afford at the time. If it gets replaced at some time in the future then the Ikea will move to another room or be donated to a ReStore. As a more experienced and thoughtful buyer I frequent places like the ReStore and many other thrift stores for my purchases. I'm helping them, keeping "stuff" out of landfills and decorating with some awesome "pre-loved" pieces. I agree with Audrey, I believe IKEA pays a lot of attention to detail and function.
December 12, 2012 at 8:21am   
lukesgirl
I've bought several items from Ikea, the floating shelves, some lighting but 4 items in particular really stand out - our dining room table, the buffet, cabinets for a bar area and a free standing cabinet we use in our hall bath. I'd searched places like Pottery Barn, Renovation Hardware, Scan Design etc for the dining furniture and found some I liked but the prices were ridiculous. We ended up buying a beaufiful rectangluar 4 leg table (it includes 4 leaves that are concealed within the table when not in use). It can seat 12 easily and we Love It. The matching buffet is lovely, it has glass shelves so we added lighting inside of it to showcase my blue hodnail glass collection. The table cost less than half of anything comparable in other stores and the quality is just as good. I think Ikea has a mix of awful and fantastic, you have to look it over and decide for yourself. By the way the cabinets we found for our bar area match our (quite expensive) cabinets in our kitchen beautifully - I wish I'd seen them before we remodeled the kitchen because we'd have saved a lot of money. We painted the tall free standing cabinet we use in our hall bath to match the other cabinetry in the room and it looks perfect, provides lots of storage and people are always asking where did we find it. Its also a great place to find kitchen items like mixing bowls, platters etc.
December 12, 2012 at 8:45am   
Nancy Hehmann
My husband and I could not believe why anyone would like IKEA after going to their store. I would rather try to get furniture that is still made in America too! And if you take your time and look, you can usually get quality and a good price. You can also repurpose furniture and paint it if you dont want a stained furniture look although I admit I have not done much of that. Craigs list (I have noticed ) has pictures online so you could get furniture that way.
December 12, 2012 at 8:45am   
Aggie Purvinska
It's great at the showroom, disappointing on the way home, all the way through assembly, then great again, once assembled, then you realize you need more of it, it's great again at the showroom, if not too much trouble assembling, great at home, then after two years it is disappointing as you sit down on it and fall through whatever piece it is you bought, and then it's disappointing sitting on the curb. But it's great that you get to buy new stuff again. And the meatballs.
December 12, 2012 at 8:49am     
charleee
Aggie! Hilarious!
December 12, 2012 at 8:56am     
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
At times you can walk in and get those one of a kind items that are fabulous - just what you are looking for - throws - plants - pots - pillows - mirrors - frames/framed prints, lighting - outdoor furniture - they are certainly a go-see store for me - EVERY PROJECT! So a big thumbs up!
December 12, 2012 at 9:05am     
Aggie Purvinska
BTW, the IKEA in Saltzburg, Austria had these little sparkling wine bottles at the cafeteria, I went there with my sister, and the rest of the day we don't remember much of.
December 12, 2012 at 9:20am     
PRO
A Direct Distributor Corp
It's great if you are looking for a European for cheap. However, you get what you pay for. If this European design is done right in America, it's custom. And we all know what custom means.
December 12, 2012 at 9:26am   
deb jo
Ikea is awesome, and If it could be bought online here in my area I wouldn't mind the cheapo quality. Every visit to the showroom becomes a family crisis :D and the simple task of choosing, buying or assembly anything ikea becomes a metaphor of why you failing in life :D Its a curse you can't scape because their spell are in those catalogues they keep sending you. Run run from ikea and save your marriage or do like me, go shopping alone ;)
December 12, 2012 at 9:34am     
More Discussions
What colour should I paint my bedroom/open concept bathroom?
My tiles in my bathroom are dark chocolate brown and...
What should we do with this atrium?
We just bought a house built in 1984 that has this...
Need help with my kitchen
We recently changed our kitchen from an impractical...
Does anyone know who makes this bedroom??
I want this bed so bad and can't find it anywhere....
In your Easter bonnet, with all the frills upon it...
Our dear Houzz Mark, has created me two new Easter...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.