Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Looking for ideas to finish kitchen
marcecol
December 11, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi, just working on kitchen, have country feel...oak floors, maple biscotti cabinets (looks more white in picture, creamier in natural light) and just got Golden Thunder granite- I love it! Picked paint above cabinet, what do you think? I'm not sure...Need ideas for backsplash, faucet (triple stainless sink) and lighting...knobs are square oil bronzed...thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I think painting and distressing the island in a country flavor will add more to your kitchen. What is your plan for a backsplash? Keep tweaking!
December 11, 2012 at 10:48AM   
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Marcecol! This is a beautiful kitchen! We believe you may have more luck with getting suggestions if you posted a closer picture of the hardware, but for now we wanted to post a few images of faucets (http://www.atgstores.com/kitchen-faucets_465.html?all=1) to get the ball rolling. We hope these pictures give you some ideas about possible styles and wish you luck!
December 11, 2012 at 10:51AM   
PRO
Stoneshop
Hi marcecol,

If you want to enhance the warmth in your kitchen, I would look into a tumbled travertine backsplash. You could also do a honed travertine if you want it to be a little smoother. I think that it would tie in your wall & countertop color wonderfullly.

[houzz=
]

For lighting, I would stick with either a beautiful oil rubbed bronze fixture to tie in with your hardware, or a brushed nickel to tie in your stainless appliances.

Best of luck!
December 11, 2012 at 10:55AM   
marcecol
Thanks, Deco, yeah, cabinets are new...so would try to make more country with tile hardware etc, I think people are saying tumbled marble...what do you think?
December 11, 2012 at 10:57AM   
marcecol
Thanks ATG, I love the faucets that's what I was thinking of...would put the country feel, you don't think it would clash with stainless sink? Here's pic of knob, the drawers have long bars with raised square panel, same colour.
December 11, 2012 at 11:01AM   
marcecol
Hi Design Savy, thanks really pleased with it so far...but don't want to screw it up! I love the blacksplash in your photo, what is it? I keep hearing it's hard to keep from staining, true?
December 11, 2012 at 11:03AM   
PRO
ATGStores.com
You're welcome, Marcecol! We think the most important thing is to not mix more than two hardware finishes (when you include the faucet), although we also believe an ORB faucet may look better with a porcelain sink. Have you considered other sink materials, or are you committed to stainless steel?
December 11, 2012 at 11:06AM   
PRO
Stoneshop
Hi marcecol,

That was us, Stoneshop, who posted up there :)

That's a tumbled travertine backsplash--isn't it lovely?! The kitchen in the photo almost looks just like yours!

Any good stone tile installer will seal the stone three times before he installs it--once when he lays it out, again once it is on the wall, and lastly after it is grouted. If he does it correctly, there will not be an issue with staining. We install stone tile (backsplashes, floors, showers, etc) regularly, and we never have any complaints with staining.
December 11, 2012 at 11:07AM   
marcecol
Thanks Stoneshop, my husband is the contractor (and me, the only help with whole house) he's great with roughing but a bit messy on finishing...so that is why i'm worried about all the 'sealing' over the granite...yikes! I read the 3 steps, i see him missing one/two! :) Anything pre-finished that comes looking like that? Yes, the kitchens are similar, good taste :)
December 11, 2012 at 11:14AM   
marcecol
Hi ATG, yes bought the sink because loved in other house, loved the triple, liked the farmer porcelain sink but not the depth, but i'm too short! Appliances are stainless too if that helps...
December 11, 2012 at 11:16AM   
PRO
Stoneshop
You're welcome, marcecol! Generally, stone tiles come unsealed, but you could try searching for them! Or even ask your local tile shop if they can seal them for you once they are in stock. The most important step is to make sure that they are sealed after they are grouted, for that will seal your grout as well.
December 11, 2012 at 11:20AM   
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Marcecol! In that case, we believe stainless would probably work best. That said, the above designs still hold relevance, as they are all available in stainless steel. And, that will be the case in many instances, so as you look around for ideas keep that in mind when you see a design that you like that's in the "wrong" finish. Again, good luck!
December 11, 2012 at 11:24AM   
marcecol
Thanks ATG= Good idea, the same style with stainless, thanks! And Stoneshop...i could definitely ask them to seal before, that would help for sure! What do you think about Crema Onyx Mosaics, kind of has that sparkle...or go with rough surface...
December 11, 2012 at 11:43AM     
PRO
Stoneshop
Crema Onyx is very beautiful! I think that it would look lovely in your kitchen. I believe that it will give a slightly more modern, polished look to your space. Go get a sample from your local tile shop & bring it home to view in your space. It will greatly help with your selection process.
December 11, 2012 at 1:18PM   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi marcecol!
The backsplash in your beautiful new kitchen could be a great opportunity to introduce a pop of color! We have an ocean style bottle glass tile that has a rough, rustic edge that would be perfect for your modern country theme. I think a 2x2 inch tile in a light green or blue would be beautiful! Or you could do a beautiful mosaic reminiscent of a country quilt! We also carry stone/marble tiles, the one below is an ivory stone with a sparkle to it.
December 12, 2012 at 7:31AM   
marcecol
Thanks Stoneshop and Susan, am going to pick up these examples and bring them back to see, and won't shy away from colour, good idea!
December 12, 2012 at 9:57AM     
More Discussions
Love or hate grommets?
Would like to hear how people like grommets for window...
Disaster dinning room
Please help!! How can I update my old dinning room...
Paint suggestion?
With newly stained concrete floors we are trying to...
How do I Pinterest things from houzz?
How do I Pinterest things from houzz?
LIVING ROOM READY FOR COUCH COLOR
I HAVE MED BROWN CARPET/GREEN UMBER SHADES/THE PAINTING...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.