Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help with 1970s kitchen
kitasei
December 11, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This is the kitchen I am inheriting in a 1920's carriage house. Completely renovating it will be the LAST in a long list of projects. But I am soliciting suggestions for ways to make it more appealing now without spending a fortune. The brick quarry tile floor will stay. I have some field stone "siding" left over from a built in I removed that I could use. I will have to tear out the cabinets under the sink because of mold anyway. The style we're steering the house toward is appropriate to a the original structure - i.e., halfway between rustic and elegant, tending toward Tudor, lots of wood and stone. I cook with copper pots.. Thanks for your creative ideas!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Raeco Interiors Inc.
Is it a one story?
December 11, 2012 at 10:27AM   
PRO
Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
Whatever you do be sure to correct the issue under the sink that caused the mold in the first place.
December 11, 2012 at 10:29AM     
PRO
Raeco Interiors Inc.
if so I would like to see the ceiling hgt. raised>
December 11, 2012 at 10:29AM   
kitasei
It's a U-shaped two story structure, with the 2nd floor of the central space removed to create a vaulted space. The kitchen has a loft above it.
December 11, 2012 at 10:30AM   
PRO
Raeco Interiors Inc.
Then I would leave the cediling hgt. alone and just go with recessed lighting and under cabinet lighting.
December 11, 2012 at 10:35AM     
kitasei
The mold is due to a leaking pipe which will be fixed, but I'm told that the blackened cabinets should be ditched. How can I make the low ceiling a feature rather than a misfortune? Faux beams? Lighting?
December 11, 2012 at 10:35AM   
PRO
Raeco Interiors Inc.
Do you have a budget?
December 11, 2012 at 10:37AM   
kitasei
The white appliances are brand new. The ceramic tile counter (not new) matches BM Antique White. What is best color to paint cabinets?
December 11, 2012 at 10:40AM   
PRO
Raeco Interiors Inc.
I am heading out to check on a project now, if you have any further questions I will check back with you later. Feel free to call me
December 11, 2012 at 10:40AM   
kitasei
Budget? I'd spend 5 - 10k if I could avoid a renovation!
December 11, 2012 at 10:41AM   
PRO
Raeco Interiors Inc.
760-535-2353
December 11, 2012 at 10:44AM   
PRO
Raeco Interiors Inc.
I need to know whats going on in the rest of the home before I could advise further. What kind of woods if any do you have now?
December 11, 2012 at 10:47AM   
houssaon
Do you have to tear out the cabinets because of mold? Can't they just be cleaned. What is the sorce of the mold? A flood or a leak? The cabinets look good, if they are you could paint them. You don't have to change the white knobs.

With the white appliances, the counter tops and the tile floor, I think a color like Jamesboro Gold HC-88 Paint on the cabinets and Puritan Gray 164 by Benjamin Moore on the upper walls and the ceiling.

The only other change I would make is to close off two of the bulb lights and convert the other four to recess.
December 11, 2012 at 10:55AM     
houssaon
I would check with compnaies that do mold remediation, before ditching the cabinets. Also, mabe only some of the wood needs to be replaces - lake the backing but not the fronts.
December 11, 2012 at 10:59AM   
kitasei
i was only going to change the cabinets under the sink - but good suggestion to save their fronts. Is there an alternative to recessed lights that would add historic ambience? I am trying to picture the colors suggested above, but they would seem to make the white appliances and white cabinet knobs - two elements I dislike most - pop. NO?
December 11, 2012 at 11:13AM   
PRO
Buckingham Floor Company
You could always retro fit a new base by the sink area assuming its the only cabinet involved and add furniture style legs to it , paint the rest creamy white colored distressed with antique copper hardware and maybe an apron sink or a flush mount under the granite in a copper finish and i see new counter tops granite with the rust tone in it some like the floor just a bit not alot, and a new backsplash possibly tumbled stone or a simple glass subway for reflection. We do flooring here in Doylestown but are in alot of kitchens and do master bath remodels as well. Good Luck
December 11, 2012 at 11:41AM     
kitasei
Love the idea of making the sink cabinet section with furniture style legs. Is this an opportunity to introduce natural wood (an overall objective in the whole house renovation)? Any pictures? Still hoping for suggestions about the low ceiling and lighting dilemma, and the idea of adding beams.. Thanks for all the ideas and please keep them coming!
December 11, 2012 at 11:47AM   
Elyn's Library
A few questions - Are there ceiling beams anywhere else in the structure?

What colors, rooms and furniture style are in the adjacent rooms?

Love the brick floors. What do you do to seal and maintain them?

Is the exterior of the house Tudor-ish?

Just spotted this "copper" tin ceiling here on houzz - might be fun to work with - [houzz=
]

If you are tending toward Tudor - as a temporary fix what about painting the upper cabinets a creamy white, lower cabinets an espresso, using the copper ceiling, simple creamy subway tile to replace current square tile. Love the idea of a country, apron sink.
December 11, 2012 at 12:02PM     
kitasei
The exterior is a preserved stone and cedar shingle carriage house. Its interior was gutted in 1970 and completely modernized in the style of that charming era. So there are no extant original features inside, except for the stone fireplace. The challenge is removing the dominant 70s elements (an abundance of sheetrock, light bulbs) and re-introducing timber and stone. The floor is quarry tile, and the least objectionable contribution from the 70s IMHO.
December 11, 2012 at 12:12PM   
mcgibs55
Here is my plan: first of all you have to get rid of those bulb lights. I would replace them with recessed lights along the perimeter of the cabinets, like in the attached picture. Secondly I would paint the ceiling a semi-gloss white. The shininess of the paint will give the illusion of a higher ceiling. It might not be a bad idea to also put up a coffered ceiling with 1/2 - 3/4" trim, as that will further add to the illusion of height.

I find the hardware on the cabinets cheapen the look of the room. They should be replaced, maybe with a filigree or birdcage style in an antiqued patina. I love the idea of a free standing sink basin, I think this will add to the bourgeois look I think you are going for. Additionally, as much as I love the turquoise cabinets, I would like to see the uppers in a different colour, perhaps 2 shades lighter of the same tone, or a different lighter colour altogether. You could also add a glaze to the doors to give it a more rustic look, and that is an easy diy project.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Eclectic Kitchen design by Boston Kitchen And Bath Artisan Kitchens LLC
December 11, 2012 at 12:17PM   
December 11, 2012 at 12:22PM     
PRO
Design Mode
I love your floors. I would lighten the colour of your cabinets, and paint the walls chalky white.
You can really make your pots and accessories stand out if you lighten the colour of cabinets to a warm putty, dove gray, or rustic white - antiqued in the corners.
Countertops could be butcher block, if you keep the tile backsplash. Or, your backsplash can be changed to match the tile in the counters, with some colourful tile inserts.
Do you like pressed tin ceilings or tongue & groove with mouldings? I would choose a simple pattern that gives texture.
The lighting could have a carriage-style pendant, black or metal, in the open area. Recessed lighting trim could match it, or blend to white ceiling.
If you look at this Carriage House designed by Kathryn Ireland, she kept the dark red tile floor, lightened the walls and added rustic, ethnic patterns on furniture. Reese Witherspoon owns it now, and lightened up the ceiling beams to enlarge the space.
Check out this site for the entire house: http://cotedetexas.blogspot.ca/2012/08/reese-versus-kathryn-knockout-duel.html
And I can't help but post this pic of Reese Witherspoons kitchen eating area because it's inspiring.
December 11, 2012 at 12:23PM   
kitasei
Now we're cooking!! English pub style is exactly right! And the free standing sink or furniture cabinets! Great tips about painting and glazing! You all are amazing!
December 11, 2012 at 12:28PM     
judianna20
Find a flush ceiling light that will cover all the caps. (You can't permanently cover wires in the ceiling, against code). I like this coppery color light fixture. Paint your cabs white and change the hardware to a copper tone that will compliment the tiles.
Sunburst Light Fixture
Lace Market Circle Knob
December 11, 2012 at 12:40PM   
Elyn's Library
On that back wall where the mirror is now - is a good place to start re-introducing your wood. Perhaps look at natural wood bead board style panels with that lovely deep, simple molding on top that would then go across the window? / pass-through? on one side, and continue the bead board and molding around on the other wall till you get to the ovens.
December 11, 2012 at 12:41PM   
Elyn's Library
Most of my suggestions are comparatively inexpensive, temporary fixes.

But before you start ANY of them - I recommend that you call a professional electrician to take a look at those ceiling lights - which have to go as they are now. Tell the electrician that you would like to install can style lights that would be installed in a new ceiling. Get an estimate for cost of doing that professional electrical work before you do anything else. You should probably take a look at other outlets in the kitchen and ask electrician about adding outlets as well.

Whatever dollars are left after having that work done professionally - will be the rest of your kitchen remodel budget. You want to have that kind of work done professionally and up to code. Your current electrical panel may not be able to safely support new electrical needs. Might as well get the cost, demo and installation work for that done first - before you start adding all the pretty stuff - especially in an older home.
December 11, 2012 at 12:51PM   
kitasei
Ahhh. Just spent the rest of the afternoon studying Kathyrn Ireland's ranch carriage house. Now what would she (or you) do about the white appliances? Just let them fade into the cabinetry-to-be-painted light?
December 11, 2012 at 1:19PM     
Elyn's Library
For now, yes. Bearing in mind that in the 1920's that would probably have been your only choice, especially with those rounded corners.

I can see this space eventually with elegant granite counters and dark, luscious wood cabinets and gleaming copper in unexpected places.

But most important now is to get the house up to code, and create a safe, comfortable, lovely home that you can live in while you turn it in to your dream home as budget and time allow.

Isn't that Ireland / Witherspoon property gorgeous?! A good place to dream and get ideas.
December 11, 2012 at 2:03PM   
PRO
By Design EK
I actually like the color of the cabinets, but not sure if they really look as good as in the picture. I would add a contrasting sink base, like the furniture idea also, that would look good and then that issue will be solved. I like black but if you want wood i would do a rich brown if you are keeping the current cabinet color. Replacing the countertops could fit in your 5-10K and would make a world of difference. The lightbulb thing is hysterical if you don't mind my saying, and I would play up the intimacy by faux painting the ceiling in a metallic paint, maybe silver leaf, or copper if you like it, or the ceiling tiles, and then adding a nice ceiling mount fixture. Add under cabinet light for more task light and ambiance, re-do the backsplash also, i see travertine or something that looks like it for practical reasons. Change the hardware to black, or anything else...and that will help also. My main advise would be put the money into countertop and everything else as opposed to painting the cabinets, i think you will get more bang for your buck. Also if you have enough left over, i like the area where the cabinets extend past the wall oven, but think it would make an even cosier banquet eating nook if you don't need that storage an counter space, plus this would save you on countertops!
December 11, 2012 at 2:19PM   
kitasei
The blue is pretty awful, but it sure would save a ton not to change it... I wonder if the counters and sink were black soapstone or granite and the cabinet hardware were changed, the blue could be bearable. The problem is the ENTIRE HOUSE is the same blue! Even the beams and ceiling of the main room! Maybe if I get rid of enough of it elsewhere I could live with it here. (It's actually not really blue. I think I saw extra (!) cans of Halcyon Sage? But the red floor must tinge it all blue.
December 11, 2012 at 2:27PM   
sschmidt10
If you're willing try painting just the top cabinets white and leave the bottom ones blue!
December 11, 2012 at 2:40PM   
michigammemom
I would suggest making your original brick floors and copper pots the focal points of the kitchen by painting all of the cabinets white. If the white appliances are staying make sure that the paint color matches. Creamy cabinets with bright white appliances will make your kitchen look mismatched. Replace the white porcelain knobs. Vintage faceted glass would be ideal. I agree that the globe lights need to be addressed. A flush mount schoolhouse fixture would suit your space.
December 11, 2012 at 3:03PM   
houssaon
Since the white appliances are "the bane of your existance" I did a search of Houzz Photo for them. Guess what there are close to 400 pictures! Shocking. Most of the kitchens seem to be white, but this one "popped" out at me, since it is close to the color I thought of for you: industrial farmhouse kitchen on a budget. OK, it is a farmhouse kitchen, but aren't those lights interesting? You might want to look for something like that.

White lower cabinets and colored uppers would work, too: A Client Designer Collaboration.

This really yellow cream makes the white seem retro (in a good way) next to the white of the appliances: Bilton Design Group. I like that look, too. Maybe Windham Cream HC-6 Paint is a good match.

I could also see this color combination with the tiles and flooring: Farmhouse Kitchen with a real white on the top. The colors used for the cabinets are SW6192 Coastal Plain; the walls, trim and exterior are all SW7005 Pure White.

Pretty combination, very French: Kitchen.

It is such a shame that plaster, which is environmentaly friendly, was replaced with sheetrock, which is not.
December 11, 2012 at 4:00PM   
kitasei
I really like the Bilton Design Group combination of cream cabinets and white fixtures. I think what gives it an expensive look is the chrome or nickel hardware on the appliances. Is it possible to add these to my standard appliances? As does the gleam of black granite and white subway (?) tiles (are they glass?) ... Thanks.
December 11, 2012 at 4:10PM   
PRO
Tile-Stones
Love the color of the cabinets! I would replace the knobs and add a white subway tile backsplash and white or light grey marble or granite counter top to brighten the room. Great kitchen! :)
December 11, 2012 at 4:23PM     
PRO
Buckingham Floor Company
Check on Canaan Cabinetry s website ........they are in the same building with me here in Doylestown , I am sure they show the legs......and often people mix painted pieces an throw in a wood tone.....
December 12, 2012 at 7:15AM