Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
" Need Help with living room ideas"
mzescobedo
December 11, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Brand new home, trying to figure how to place furniture in my living room.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
collettec
Are you going to be using it for television viewing or anything else? It's difficult to tell with the two pictures how large the area is for furniture. Something to consider would be an entertainment center/shelving unit whether you will be using a television or not on the long wall. Something like a sectional facing the windows and long wall if you have the room, with a coffee table. Another possible option would be two loveseats facing each other perpendicular to the long wall if not much space, with a chair, or two if you have more room, facing the entertainment center. Perhaps a console table or buffet table on the wall near the stairwell.
2 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 5:01PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'd go with a sofa that has a built in chaise (chaise on right end as you face sofa). The sofa would be with its back to the kitchen wall and out 36" from that wall. Then I'd place two comfortable chairs, set out from the window wall by a few feet, with a round table between them. A rectangular coffee table would be placed in front of the sofa.

On the long wall that's on the left in the photo, I'd put the TV in a bookcase/entertainment center.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
3 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 6:37PM
PRO
MindVerb!
get a Designer ALWAYS and one with Feng Shui Intuitiveness! It's Always your Best and Safe Bet. The way to know things will shine with you and your designer is when he suggests a chair, for example ,in a certain corner and you see: waw, that's exactly how I thought . Then hear his suggsetions well. Eventually you'll change some little things that he did, here and there; they'll be minimal and tottally OK! Make sure to leave things exactly as he place them for at least two weeks though, that way you'll be sure of the small changes. Have FUN!!!!
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 7:16PM
decoenthusiaste
I'd center a sectional (without the chaise) out from the kitchen wall, with TV and console across the room on the long wall. One side of the sofa would serve to divide off the dining area with a buffet behind it to serve the dining room. Two armchairs and a table would sit at the window end of the room. Floor to ceiling stationary panels over soft roman shades. You might consider new lighting to be swagged across so it is nearer the stairwell. Use a banquette bench or built-in banquette against the stairwell (if you have no kids who might climb over) with dining table and chairs.
Reed Hanging Light
Owstynn Modern Banquette Bench
Minnesota Private Residence
Three Piece Chocolate Mirrored Buffet
Yaletown Loft
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 7:28PM
Alison Guerriere
Put the TV on the big wall. Float the furniture in front of it. Add a dining set under the chandelier. As always, measure and get some window treatments to warm things up.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 7:48PM
PRO
Ekhaya Designs
Hello new home owner. Your pictures are a designers dream come true. Your home is like a blank canvas and as a designer my mind starts racing when I see a blank canvas, but then I stop and say "I have ideas for days, but, what is your vision for this space?" Surely when you acquired this space you had some vision or idea of what you want for this space. With your vision/idea and my skills we can turn this blank canvas into your living room. Lets work together and make this a beautiful.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 8:33PM
Damien Vossion
Here is a layout I have made using your pics. I think it works really well. there is a chests of drawers against the stairs wall to put keys or other things when entering the room. its practical.
1 Like   December 13, 2012 at 10:08AM
vicky feldman
That is a very spacious room and you have a number of options to choose from. You can put a beautiful wall hanging or a big painting on the wall and some chaise lounge in front of it. Some good window treatment that matches with the theme of the room would also work wonders.
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 6:55AM
PRO
Suzette Sherman Design
It would help to see the floor plan. What's on the lower level? It looks like there may be a breakfast nook by the sliding doors at the end of the kitchen as I see a pendant in the distance. Yet there is a chandelier in the main space for a dining area. Is there a family room? Where does the passage to the left lead? All of this is very important to a layout.
1 Like   December 14, 2012 at 7:30AM