Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
any suggestions?
Bonnie
December 11, 2012 in Before & After
My husband and I recently moved into an artists' loft building. We used most of our existing furniture but bought the Chinese wedding bed because of its height and the Quan Yin statue and the mirrors to go behind her. We are still in the process of decorating (does it ever end?) and would like some input. We have gotten great advice for our new project, the kitchen, so we were hoping we could also get great ideas here. Thanks in advance for you help.
Bonnie and Bill
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Travis Robert Renovations
Great loft! Enjoy
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 5:27PM
lefty47
HI -- Bonnie and Bill , you have a place like something I have always dreamed about , - I love it ! Your decorating is beautiful and I love the Quan Yin . Wondering why you did not have any of the reds and purples in the seating area that is in the last photo ?
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 8:05PM
PRO
Decorative Overlays
i so love this loft!! So much to do though send a picture of the space you want the kitchen in not sure if it's the large area you are showing
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 9:01PM
greenthumb2
Hi Bonnie and Bill,

You are probably already learning that there is a special balance of flow, too little or too much can make the space unique or confusing.

The only thing I would say is to be mindful of the horizontal plane (at eye level) because if you can create a more seamless look without sacrificing special ornamental pieces -- you will come to love that big open space.

Maybe you can decide how much flow room you want, say 5 feet of walkway between spaces, choose your favorite accents colors and favorite architectural furnishings like the screen and bed and keep all other items rather to the coordinating/complimentary side. Try to savor that openness and don't fill it up. You will be much happier.

Lofts are very special spaces. I am happy you have one of your own. You're doing a great job already -- keep that open feeling.
2 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 12:16AM
greenthumb2
I see there is a slight arch to your window framing. You'll need to decide if you want to work with the arches or find something that will tie your furnishing in with the wall/windows. It's very expensive to furnish the loft and work with window coverings too. If you've made friends with anyone in the building, see what they have done with their windows. :=)
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 12:20AM
creeser
Wow! Your space is just gorgeous! I adore that bed! With what you've done so far, I can't see where anyone could offer any advice that would be any better than your taste. What part of the loft do you have your kitchen?
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 3:58AM
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Hi Bonnie and Bill,

The decorating scheme of your loft is so beautiful and really, really love it! And when I look at your house, I noticed that you did not hang curtains yet. I was wondering if you will consider putting on some curtains for your fantastic room. If so, you can contact me at nophie@cheerycurtains.com or sales@cheerycurtains.com. I will always be glad to help.

Attached are some photos for your reference. Actually, we have many more colors available. Anyway, your loft is really fantastic!
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 4:19AM
PRO
Kingfisher for Interiors Ltd
Beautiful living space - you have some fine pieces. You've added colour to some walls to zone a couple of areas - how about using some sheer blinds with a chinese design on them. There's a site called www.berydesigns.com that make these - they would look fab near your bedroom/lounge area. Good luck - www.kingfisher4interiors.co.uk or deb@kingfisher4interiors.co.uk
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 4:42AM
tsudhonimh
Oh wow ... I love it. It's open and full of light. With plants and great rugs.

I'm not in love with the bright yellow and purple half-walls. They look like leftovers from a previous tenant's bright modern color scheme. They don't go with the earthy natural woods, leather, plants and rugs you have, and they aren't reinforced by any accessories or textiles elsewhere in the room. If you are in love with the colors, look for accessories that incorporate a bit of those colors, and accept that you will have to change a lot of things to get the room unified.

Personally, I'd repaint the walls to pick up some of the intense but earthy colors in the rugs, or a deep emerald/leaf green (and it's trendy, too) for the plants.

Take pictures and look at the picture instead of the room. It can make you see things differently. When you go from a place with rooms to open loft living you need to be more aware of the accessories and color flow between areas. That couch that used to be in the living room is now in the background as an accessory for your bedroom area.

One suggestion on the windows (and unlike that Cheery Curtain person, I'm not trying to sell you anything) is to leave the upper panes uncovered unless the light at night drives you nuts or there is a privacy issue because of other buildings. Just lower the current shades to the main cross bar

Those are nice shades, BTW, and if you stenciled a pattern on them in the same soft yellow as the walls they would add a bit of interest when closed.
2 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 6:21AM
PRO
CEO of TCB at Toronto Real Estate Guide
The space looks great. I might suggest a wood cladding for the support beams to have them resemble the painted wood beams I see above. Although people should be arrested for painting bricks or beams, I say get creative if you dont like the colour or want to change the vibe. Love the floors as they are. You seem to have modern windows vs the single pane many of these have. Enjoy making it yours.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 8:29AM
Michelle Mink
Was there something in particular that you wanted to improve upon? Is there something about the rooms that just doesn't "feel right" to you? What type of advice were you seeking for your loft space?
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 8:44AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Echo the previous comments - this space is so great - oh to ever have a space like this of my own - Do like your room/s, decor and your groupings - love your plants mixed throughout - am anxious to see the kitchen - overall very lovely -
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 8:56AM
Bonnie
tsudhonimh,
you are exactly right about the wall colors...they are from the previous owner and we plan to change them. we havent yet because we were not sure what color to replace them with yet.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 9:16AM
Bonnie
Michele,
we were looking for thoughts in general of things we hadn't thought of since we are not using professionals designers. One question in particular is what colors to use on the dividing walls that are currently yellow and bluish purple. As I said above, they are from the previous tenant and we dont know what color would work there.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 9:18AM
Bonnie
Paradise Restored Landscaping, thanks for your comment. If you are interested in seeing the kitchen, a couple of days ago we posted "Please help with our challenging kitchen" in the design dilemma section. we got great suggestions as to what to do with the large, empty wall above the sink.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 9:28AM
Bonnie
creeser, the kitchen entrance is behind the Chinese wedding bed. as i mentioned above, we just posted a question for the kitchen in the design dilemma section so if youre interested, you can look for the pics.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 9:34AM
PRO
Andrew Crocker Architecture / Design
Is all of the furniture set at an angle to the walls? This seems disorganized to me. I would recommend organizing the spaces in a geometric pattern, and then use lighting, art and furnishings to reinforce the delineation of the spaces. Some long ceiling hung light fixtures would be a cool addition.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 10:03AM
Christine
Bonnie as far as I am concerned you and Bill should just kick back, put your feet up and enjoy. She's a beauty.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 12:38PM
collettec
I would paint the dividing wall the color that you are going to paint the walls, or one of the paint colors on the brick, or a neutral color that you have in your furnishings. Think it would help connect the walls to the rest of the room. Saw your kitchen and both of these spaces are beautiful!
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 1:16PM
Bonnie
thanks, Christine. Great idea!!
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 2:15PM
Michelle Mink
Thanks for the clarification, Bonnie. As others have said, your space is beautiful, but, if you're asking, there must be something else you are looking for. So, since you asked ...

It's difficult to give suggestions while looking at pictures vs. actually being in the space or having a scale drawing, but here are a couple of ideas. Generally speaking, lofts are loved for their wide, open spaces. I'm unsure what the meaning or purpose is of the purple and yellow walls.

When I look at the photo you provided of the gorgeous bed and the seating area next to it, I find that very pleasing. When I look at the other photos, with the partition walls, it seems too compartmentalized - not the open feeling usually prized in a loft . It has almost - wince - a 'furniture store' feeling. The wall colors seem jarring and not cohesive with the flow of the rest of the room again contributing to the compartmentalized feeling. Also, it seems as if the furniture in each "room" is part of a "set" that goes in that room.

Here are some SUGGESTIONS. (The beauty of houzz is that it's free so feel free to take it or leave it as it suits you.)

1. If you're going to paint the partition walls as well as the brick walls, paint everything a soft neutral color: tan, earthy gray, linen, etc. This will help the space to regain some cohesion.

2. Allow the furniture to delineate the spaces. I wholeheartedly agree with Andrew Crocker's recommendations (above). Consider geometric squares of furniture rather than the diagonals you have going on (i.e. square the furniture with the walls - that doesn't mean you have to put it right up against the wall).

3. Mix it up. Don't feel that the furniture in each space must "match". Take a chair from one room and put it in another. A table from here to there. Try to break out of the "box" that most people must live in in conventional homes. Mixing the furniture throughout the space instead of containing matching sets in different rooms will also help the entire space to feel more cohesive. Do a search in the Houzz photo archive on the word "eclectic" to stimulate new ways of mixing things.

4. Live with it. Loft living can be a challenge. Live with your space awhile. Look at pictures of other lofts. See how the space(s) make you feel and decide whether or not they are meeting your needs. Does the traffic flow well throughout the space? Is there enough seating for entertaining? Is there sufficient storage for the items used in that area?

Try to enjoy the process without being too concerned with getting it "right". I am green with envy!
2 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:13PM
Kim D
The walls are fantastic, and I love everything you have so far. If I was so lucky to have this space I would make a floorplan to outline my expectations of the space and how I wanted to live in the space. I would start with that and who knows were I would end.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 3:24PM
hugahuff
wow, i have gone beyond envy to outright lust!!!! love what you've done good luck on the rest!
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 3:40PM
Bonnie
hugahuff, you are so funny!! thanks for your advice!
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:56PM
Bonnie
Michele, thanks for your suggestions. we will take them into consideration. decorating such a large space is a huge challenge for people who are not using professional help!
In terms of the colors of the dividing walls, we inherited those bright colors and we havent changed them because we were not sure what colors would work. But we plan on doing so in the near future.
In regard to the dividing walls, we chose to have some walls because the loft is just too big (about 3400 sq feet with 16 foot ceilings) for one room--it would feel too much like a warehouse or a store rather than a warm and cozy home. Plus we wanted to have some privacy for when we have our children and friends stay over. I guess our space is more like a combination of an apartment and a loft because the kitchen, powder room, bedroom, master bath, artist studio and family room are all separate from the room (which about 1200 square feet) in the photo above.
Again, we appreciate all the comments and suggestions and will consider them all. It's great to have so much creative feedback!
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 4:33PM
Cathy Lara
Hi Bonnie! Congratulations on your incredible space. When you're ready to share the AFTER pics, please reach out to me — I think it would make for a great Houzz Tour!
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 4:34PM
nikitaki
i love the loft but i am not so sure if the furniture are too much ... i would paint the purble and yellow walls another colour that will blend with the loft more and the walls. i love the brick walls and white is my colour to go with that :) all the plants and the furniture confuse me a bit , it spoils the image of the loft. i think it needs to be more plain and clear. thats my opinion thought! :)
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 10:25PM
Bonnie
decorative overlays,
thanks for your interest. the kitchen is a separate room. In the Design
Dilemma section of Houzz, i posted a question and 4 pictures a few days ago entitled "please help with our challenging kitchen". so if you are still interested in seeing the kitchen, you can find photos there.
thanks again
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 11:11PM
fabia
The purple and yellow do have to go. It appears you are filling the space with furniture, and the plan is confusing to my eye. I appreciate the green ery, but would like to see them living nearer to windows for light. Is this a business space? or you live there.

The coloured walls should go, but I am thinking a red, or black could be worked in.

There is a very Asian feel, I would love to see that expanded upon.

I am not sure about the rattan area. What is this Dining space?

Regarding the windows. I think your shades should not cover the transome above window. This would be a good oportunity for light. drop them to the top of the window .

I have looked for your kitchen, I was not sucessful in locating it on the Dilema site.
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 8:30AM
Bonnie
Cathy, thanks, we would love to participate in a Houzz tour. We are working hard right now on the kitchen. So many people from Houzz are giving us great advice, leads and photos! We are very grateful to Houzz and all the people who are generously sharing their time and talents!
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 9:52AM
Bonnie
Bill and I wish all our houzz friends a year filled with good health, love and beauty!!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:34AM
PRO
SaCim Decor
Hi Bonnie, my name is Cim and I am a designer of interiors based in Phuket, Thailand. I have just released my first instalment of original and contemporary asian interior decorations. Im sure you could find something that appeals to your tastes. www.sacimdecor.com
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 7:53AM
Bonnie
Hi Cim, Thanks, we will look at your products. Best of luck!!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:22AM
PRO
The Reinvented Room
congratulations, what a wonderful project, please keep us updated with your progress and wonderful choices !!!
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 12:05PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Great space I love it!
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 12:08PM
Bonnie
Thank you both!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Need help with master bedroom!
The headboard wall is painted black fox by SW and the...
Please help me pick splash back and paint
I have just got a new kitchen fitted the cabinets are...
What should we do with this master bath?
Just bought a 1959 split level colonial that is in...
split foyer conversation. ...
What kind of remodel am I looking at to change this...
Help with my dinning space
How to decorate my dinning space
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.