Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Choices for cabinet hardware.
bebe2020
December 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My cabinets are painted. And I have alot of big pot type drawers in the kitchen. Wondering which would be better 2 knobs or a handle pull.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Karen Heffernan
I have drawers just like that, and I love my cup pulls

December 12, 2012 at 5:49am     
bebe2020
Did you put one or two?
December 12, 2012 at 5:53am   
Shawn Lagemann
Drawers that are 30" in width and greater should have 2 pulls/knobs.... as shown in the picture. Pulls have 2 points to attach and will be more stable for a larger heavier weight drawer.
December 12, 2012 at 5:54am   
bebe2020
Great thanks for the advice! Now seeing how my kitchen and great room are really one big room, not to mention I have something like 54 cabinets and 44 drawers some big some small( like in the bathrooms and library). I am needing to stretch my budget to accommodate all this hardware. Any suggestions where I might get the best pricing/selection?
December 12, 2012 at 6:21am     
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Bebe! We have more than 13,000 cabinet pulls (http://www.atgstores.com/cabinet-pulls_676.html?linkLoc=topnav) and over 12,000 knobs (http://www.atgstores.com/knobs_675.html?linkLoc=topnav) that you can browse by style, price, finish, size, type and brand. If you had thoughts on any of these things we'd be happy to post a few images for you to help give you ideas, but you may enjoy just browsing and using the filters to compare styles. No need to buy, of course - just use it as a tool to refine your final decision! We hope this helps and wish you luck in your search!
December 12, 2012 at 10:21am     
PRO
City Cabinet Center, San Diego
Knobs on the doors, pulls on the drawers.
December 12, 2012 at 10:41am   
Karen Heffernan
I put 2 cup pulls on my large drawers - I posted a pic above (with the black stove)
December 12, 2012 at 2:46pm   
feeny
Either two knobs or two handle pulls. I prefer the pulls, but either would work. But the drawers are wide enough that they need two.
December 12, 2012 at 3:02pm   
hmf70
I just had two large drawers put into my new kitchen. I decided to place two pulls on each drawer. It looks beautiful and functions well. When I had small drawers at the top, however, I used one centered knob. I love it!
December 25, 2012 at 12:02pm   
mfheryford
You could also consider long rails. Would cost less because you would only need half as many vs double pulls on all drawers. We just finished an extensive kitchen renovation (10 months of construction) and I have huge, deep drawers throughout. The longer pulls mean no matter where you grab the drawers they are easy to open. We used Rocky Mtn Hardware throughout and they look amazing. One of the best decisions we made . Remember, you will touch these everyday! This isn't where I would try and save money.
December 25, 2012 at 12:46pm     
PRO
LM Designers
I prefer pulls on the drawers and just one in the middle even when the drawer is 36" wide. Most drawers now have excellent heavy duty rails with the cushion close option so you aren't pulling hard to open them. If you put two pulls on one drawer rarely do you stand in front of the drawer and use both hands to open it. Most just use one hand and one pull. The knobs and pulls are the jewelry on the doors and drawers. Using less pulls on the drawers allows you to put that extra money you save towards something you could not afford originally or thought would be to expensive.
December 25, 2012 at 3:31pm     
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
I vote for long pulls for the drawers and shorter ones for the upper wall cab doors. Long pulls give you the option of (leverage to) opening the drawer with one or two clean fingers in the event your hands are gooey from cooking and you don't have time to stop and wash them.
December 25, 2012 at 3:32pm     
jengregs
May I ask if your cabinets were painted in your home or factory finished? I'm looking to get my espresso cabs professionally painted/sprayed white and am having a hard time finding a painter.
December 25, 2012 at 8:50pm   
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hello

go for knobs for over head storage
and handle pull for below storage

regards
December 25, 2012 at 10:15pm     
angela428
Hi, Just thought you might expand from the bin pull we see a lot these days.'I always like to be a little bit different. These pulls have been used so much and they are very hard to clean. I had them in my kitchen. I am now putting in the red glass square 2 1/2 inch red on the vanity. Very nice and a bid of a bright spot in a minimalist / contemporary. This is one of the companies, House of Antique Hardware, and Cabinet Knobs and Pulls they have quite a few, including the refrigerator which I like to include
depending on color how it fits with what you have chosen.
December 25, 2012 at 11:01pm   
bebe2020
To jengregs, my cabinets were painted on site.
January 2, 2013 at 5:01pm   
bebe2020
To jengregs, my cabinets were painted on site.
January 2, 2013 at 5:02pm