Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Vineyard farmhouse kitchen: before and after
tdub1111
December 12, 2012 in Before & After
Before: the original kitchen featured blue walls, old oak veneer cabinetry, old linoleum and a small, closed-off workspace.

After: Opened up the walls, new Ikea kitchen, Caesarstone countertop, induction cooktop w/ Broan downdraft hood, cork floors, new pendant lights, new windows (part of a whole-home reno). We LOVE our new space! There's something very special about cooking breakfast or dinner to the sunrise and sunset, overlooking our vineyard. We feel extremely fortunate!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Billie G
Beautiful remodel!
December 12, 2012 at 6:35AM     
tdub1111
Thanks, Billie!
December 12, 2012 at 6:58AM     
PRO
Stoneshop
Wow, you have a stunning kitchen! It so soothing & stylish. That light fixture is beautiful! Enjoy!
December 12, 2012 at 7:00AM     
designideas4me
I am thinking of doing an ikea kitchen. Did you work with an installer and designer? Could you tell me a ballpark of what it cost? Funny I just posted a question about house style determining interior style so I would think if you have a farmhouse that is modern than obviously the inside and out dont need to match. Is the rest of the house modern?
December 13, 2012 at 12:42AM     
PRO
Reico Kitchen & Bath
Way to open the space and bring in more natural light. A beauty!
December 13, 2012 at 7:43AM     
whiskeyrobot
VERY extensive remodel! New windows, relocating plumbing fixtures, etc. Looks very nice. I actually kind of like the slight reveal above the cabinets, works really well!
December 13, 2012 at 7:49AM     
bbkieffer
Wait, that is the same space? OUTSTANDING! Really really beautiful.
December 13, 2012 at 9:57AM     
Kasia Dabrowski-Bardi
Amazing kitchen. Does not even resemble an Ikea kitchen.
December 13, 2012 at 10:08AM     
tdub1111
My goodness, thank you so much for your generous compliments, it's sincerely appreciated!

To answer designideas4me's questions, we didn't work with a designer, we planned this ourselves. Fortunately, with a little time and patience Ikea's kitchen planning tool was an excellent resource.

Our contractor installed the kitchen as a part of the whole-home reno - and this is where you need to be very selective. Though the cabinets are actually really nice quality, it is still Ikea so attention to detail is required. Don't trust anyone who isn't precise in their work, and better yet, who hasn't installed an Ikea kitchen before.

And, while I'm actually a huge fan of mixing old exterior (pre-1950s) with modern interiors, we actually did the exterior of the home in a mid-century modern style, as well. I've attached a few more photos for reference.

Thank you again for all your lovely compliments - we hope our guests feel as peaceful here as we do.
December 13, 2012 at 10:23AM     
designideas4me
what flooring did you use? wood? glue down? Where is that ? Temecula or Sonoma?
December 13, 2012 at 2:31PM   
tdub1111
That's a floating cork floor - and we're in lovely Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario.
December 13, 2012 at 3:45PM     
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Wow, a slice of paradise - thank you for the additional photos of your exquisite home and view. As to the kitchen remodel - it is so cool. Truly love your minimalist viewpoint in decor/furnishings - makes my pack-rat, all or nothing - eclectic look like a run-on garage sale! Anyway - back to you and your lovely B & A! You're my top pick for the week! Just love it!
December 13, 2012 at 5:30PM     
designideas4me
So funny I was just asking about cork floors. You can put that into a kitchen? No worries about water? How did you decide on that floor? Is it used throughout the house?
December 13, 2012 at 6:15PM   
tdub1111
Cork's wonderful in the kitchen (warm, soft) and very durable. It is sealed, and we've had no issues at all with spills - no more so than you would with hardwood. And yes, it's throughout the house (except for bathrooms and the mudroom). And with three kids in the house, scratches and marks are impossible to see!
December 13, 2012 at 6:31PM   
designideas4me
wow maybe I need to look into this. I have back problems and my feet hurt from walking on a hard floor. I imagine the cork boards that you would put a tac into. They crumbled. So its ok for a kitchen but if I use it them put tile in the bathroom and laundry room? It looks modern. Is it a click lock? you say its floating. what holds it down? Do you actually feel some give when you walk due to the underlayment? But yet its quiet and no echo or crackling ? I have been so confused with all thses flooring choices. When I go to ikea of course they display thier own laminate flooring and also tile in the kitchen displays. Did you consider the flooring they sell?
December 13, 2012 at 6:38PM     
tdub1111
For more info about cork floors, this site will help answer your questions: http://www.cancork.com/FAQ_natural_cork_floor_tile_cork_bamboo_flooring.html
December 13, 2012 at 6:44PM   
red_neck_gurl
it looks incredibly soothing
December 13, 2012 at 9:52PM     
PRO
Popped by once again and this is still one of my favorites! Like your cork floors too! Very talented!
December 14, 2012 at 10:19AM     
Ellessebee
I can only echo the previous comments: WOW! What a transformation! Absolutely beautiful space. I want one too! Can you tell me who makes the cork flooring. Do you know if it can be used over hydronic radiant floor heat? Why did you opt for a cooktop instead of a range? I am struggling with this decision and need to hear other views. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful and inspiring space!
December 15, 2012 at 8:16PM     
designideas4me
Are your cabinets nexus birch or sofielund? and what did you use for a counter top? Thank you
December 16, 2012 at 4:33AM   
tdub1111
I'm overwhelmed with such generous comments! Thank you Ellessebee, it's sincerely appreciated. Our cork floors are from www.cancork.com (various distributors throughout the U.S. and Canada). It can be used over radiant heat, though we opted for tile in those areas. We don't have natural gas service to our vineyard, so our options for a cooktop were electric or induction - and we're loving the induction. So fast, and so consistent! Thanks again for stopping by our Before & After!
December 16, 2012 at 3:05PM   
Ellessebee
Thanks for the cork info. I love cork but worry that it is easily dinged and dented or torn up by chair legs etc. I'm going to put it in my kitchen and hope for the best. About the induction cooking, I too and ready to take the plunge. I have propane for heat and hot water but love the idea of induction and I got a small induction single-burner hot plate which I know is not nearly as good as the real thing but it's still pretty impressive. The big question for me is range or cooktop + oven. There are some induction ranges out there but not very many and none are 36". Did you consider a range at all? I have a large kitchen but really appreciate the compactness of the cooking area with a range.
December 16, 2012 at 4:11PM   
Gillian Wightman
Really lovely
December 17, 2012 at 12:57PM     
sophiakh
I think it is beautiful, but personally it would drive me nuts, not enough counter space. As Adina Monsoon would say, "Surfaces, Dawling"
December 17, 2012 at 3:51PM     
punini
AMAZING! BEAUTIFUL, SIMPLE ELEGANCE!
December 17, 2012 at 4:07PM     
tdub1111
Thank you everyone! Wow, such a great community on houzz! sophiakh, I understand what you're saying, but the photo is deceptive - it's actually more than 9ft long! We're clean-as-you-go cooks and bakers, so we've never felt limited in our counter space. And the bonus? We don't feel tempted to litter our countertop with extraneous "stuff". :)
December 17, 2012 at 4:22PM     
Kristi Dodson_Skinkis
What a beautiful renovation! It is especially nice because a lot of us have the "before" kitchen and wonder what the can be done. The after looks larger than the before, did you take down a wall? Or, does lightening up color make that much of a difference? What are the measurements of your kitchen?
December 17, 2012 at 4:39PM     
harly77
YUK! Am I the only one who hates this make-over? I loved the "before" kitchen.
December 17, 2012 at 4:41PM     
Ellessebee
If this were my kitchen I'd be very happy to do dishes all day with that view from the sink!
December 17, 2012 at 4:47PM     
sophiakh
:) I am obsessed with counter space. I live in a tiny SF apartment with a 6' square kitchen, one drawer and less than 4' square usable counter space, the rest is covered by a dish rack. No room for a microwave or a toaster, espresso is in the hall and so are many of my pantry goods, :) but I do like you kitchen. :) We are hopefully moving soon to our own home and your design, sans the in counter cooktop and wall ovens, has many elements that I have been trying to incorporate in to my to be new kitchen.
December 17, 2012 at 4:49PM     
PRO
Two if by Sea Gallery
Not my taste but looks good for a modern update! Hope you didn't throw out the beautiful crystal chandelier. I restore such lovely vintage fixtures so if you are looking to get rid of it please send me a note sales@twoifbyseagallery.com Thanks, Greg www.twoifbyseagallery.com
December 17, 2012 at 4:50PM   
Ellessebee
I've been wondering about doing an Ikea kitchen because I tend to like their aesthetic and one-stop shopping would be nice. But I'm scared that too many details would be left to me - and I don't feel qualified to pin them all down. Can you tell me something about your experience with Ikea? Would you do it differently if you could (and had the budget)?
December 17, 2012 at 4:56PM   
tdub1111
Kristi, thank you so much! Yes, we did open up a couple of walls in the space, but it was actually more of a reconfiguration than anything. Like Tetris, in a kitchen reno! :)

harly77, it's clear you're passionate about what you like and don't like, sooo, to each their own!

Ellessebee, yes, dishes are no longer a chore, that's for sure! Once you have your layout set up with the Ikea kitchen planning tool, take it into the store and the reps there are incredibly helpful in making sure you've covered off all the details. It takes a little time and patience, but for the cost and outcome, we definitely felt it was worth it. The only thing we would've done differently is create more room between the stove/microwave and the fridge. But we're really, really happy with the quality and finish of what we have - would do it again!

sophiakh, it sounds like you will have an absolutely lovely kitchen - best of luck to you with your new home, I'm sure you will make it everything you need it to be (isn't that the great thing about renos??)!

And Two if by Sea, I'm sorry, but the previous owners took that chandelier with them when they moved (I'm sure you can appreciate why!). :)
December 17, 2012 at 5:03PM     
Monica James
LOVE it!! Can you provide more info about the light fixture? Where did you get it, manufacturer, product name? :-)

P.S. Also, I love Niagara-on-the-Lake! You're lucky to live there. I've been a few wine tours there... delicious, beautiful, and a great time!
December 17, 2012 at 5:09PM     
Two Thirty~Five Designs
in.love with the light....holy moly! I, like above, am curious where it is from?
Fabulous remodel!
December 17, 2012 at 8:51PM     
Susan Tong
More photos of your lovely kitchen please! I love the island. What are the measurements please?
December 18, 2012 at 1:05AM     
Susan Tong
And where is your kettle, toaster, coffee maker etc?
December 18, 2012 at 1:12AM   
kmclamps
Where can I get the table?
December 18, 2012 at 2:26AM   
nadiafay
Looks amazing. Love this! what is the new dining table light? Where did you get it? I love it. it might actually work really well in my new space.
December 18, 2012 at 6:20AM     
tdub1111
Thank you so much!! We put two sets of CB2's Firefly pendant (http://www.cb2.com/firefly-pendant-lamp/s487964) together to span a longer length of the table (custom built from Design Republic in Toronto http://mydesignrepublic.com/portfolio/solid-maple).

Susan, that's actually the only photo I have of the kitchen right now, but I've attached another photo of the main floor. Hopefully that helps to put the kitchen into context. I believe the island is 114"x 44" - and we store our blender, toaster, etc, in the large cabinets along the west wall. There are plug-ins on that side of the island so it's an easy in and out! And no, our landscaping isn't complete yet. That's a project for 2013! :)
December 18, 2012 at 7:43AM     
PRO
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
Fantastic project in all regards, great job!
December 18, 2012 at 10:30AM     
kmclamps
I really love the table. So, it's maple what stain? And I would love to see the base. Looks like iron. That is exactly what I am looking for!!! Have a cabinet maker in my town that may be able to make it if I get him all the info. Not that I am not willing to use your designer too. Thanks for what ever information you can share.
December 18, 2012 at 10:41AM     
dianelady
I love the simple lines and the huge window.. just wonderful. I do really love to see a wall of storage as against typical kitchen cupboards. One day I would like a wall of doors that fold back to reveal counters filled with all the machines we have like coffee maker, mixers etc.. all are heavy and very tedius to get in and out of a cupboard or drawer especially if you have arthriitis. I think you did a great job using the view. It must be a delight to be in there now. Good for you..
December 18, 2012 at 11:38AM     
tdub1111
Thank you for the kind words! Marie Noelle, it's a maple table finished in a dark walnut stain, done to match our stairs. The legs are a polished cast iron - four straight legs, pretty simple. You can see the leg options more clearly on Design Republic's website (link above). I hope that helps, and good luck with your table. I'm sure it will be lovely!!
December 18, 2012 at 4:41PM   
Natalie
Absolutely FANTASTIC!!! You did a Great job. :)
December 18, 2012 at 5:00PM     
designideas4me
I was surprised to see a pool in your picture. Does it get hot up there? I use my pool for almost 6 months out of the year and I have solar panels on the roof to keep it warm. Can you please tell me which Ikea cabinets you used for your kitchen? Thank you.
December 19, 2012 at 5:10AM   
Ellessebee
Everytime someone leaves a comment I go back and look at your pictures and swoon! It's just gorgeous - not just the kitchen but everything you've shown us. I love the view and how you've taken advantage of it. Can you tell me more about the cork flooring? How is maintenance - can you get it REALLY clean? Is it vulnerable to tearing from chair legs etc.? Does it show irregularities in the subfloor? By the way - is that a windmill off in the distance I see?
December 19, 2012 at 6:13AM     
tdub1111
That's so kind, and humbling! Thank you so much.

The cabinets are Birch, but unfortunately, I believe Ikea's discontinued that colour.

I haven't had any issues at all with the cork so far. I'm a bit of a clean freak, and so damp mop the floors every other week. The product we chose is already sealed with three coats of polyurethane, and you can add an additional sealant in damp areas like the kitchen. We had an issue with our roof recently (human error) and had a large puddle sitting on the floor for almost a week (this is a second home so we were away at the time) and there's no damage to the floor at all!

We have three girls under 12 and that's why we wanted a floor that would hold up to scrapes, dents, etc. Because of the natural flaws and variation, you can't see anything at all. Heavier furniture will leave slight dents, but they lift with time (and we also use felt pads). Here's the link the product we chose, hopefully that helps! http://www.cancork.com/silve_birch_cork_floor_easy_intall.html

And that's actually a fan for our vineyard - it pushes warm air down over the vines to help prevent frost damage. :)
December 19, 2012 at 3:01PM   
Sunday
Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful home, it is lovely. What a joy to read and see all your hard work.
December 19, 2012 at 4:23PM     
PRO
Christopher James Interiors
So beautiful! I'd like to bathe in that bathtub looking out to the vineyard...like tomorrow morning! :). Great job!
December 19, 2012 at 11:11PM     
krstroud
WOW, very nice...love, love, love your house!
December 21, 2012 at 7:40AM     
designideas4me
Hi again, not sure if you mentioned this but why did you not put a hood over the cook top? curious.
January 3, 2013 at 10:35AM   
tdub1111
We actually used a downdraft hood from Broan so that we could maintain an unobstructed view. It really is an amazing range hood.
January 3, 2013 at 10:55AM   
designideas4me
very cool. So its in your ceiling and just comes down when you turn it on? Looks expensive? did you have ventilation to the outside already? I assume it goes outside.
January 3, 2013 at 11:00AM   
PRO
Stuart Nordin Design
Is that the same space?! Amazing!!
January 30, 2013 at 8:07AM     
designideas4me
Not sure if I asked this ... so many responses to this thread ...............but if you can tell me a few things.....Do you think the cabinets themselves can be put together at home to save money ...by me and my son. Assuming we follow directions this saves 100 per cabinet.................or is that the price to set up and install each cabinet as given by most installers? What do they charge if you just need it hung and not assembled? Next when working with the ikea kitchen planner tool were you able to account for every inch of space.. I am having some issues. I found an online service that does the ikea design for you using the planning tool and it cost $95 but you tell them which cabinets to use and they do the plans so your installer can put it in. Looking at your space can you tell me if thelong doors are 2 or 3. It looks like one big pantry door and one upper cabinet. I dont even recall seeing that long door at the store. It your ceiling 8 or 9 feet and was it difficult to get the ikea cabinets to fit to the ceiling..any advice of which to use to make it fit? Did you concider any of the accent or glass doors they sell ? why did you decide to go with a solid wall of cabinets? looks great just curious. can you tell me again which exact door style you used ..was it the scofield light walnut or did you say it was a birch. Oh I see now you said birch. So which of their current colors match most closely to what you have? Why is it always that way with ikea. I saw flooring I love on other houzz photos and ikea discontinued those too. Thx so much. I am trying to move forward and feel I should do ikea but just need to decide which ones and they keep changing the options so its even harder to decide. What was the key factor that helped you choose the color scheme and allowed you to base all other materials on that...was it the floor? the counter? the appliances? where did you begin in your mind and how did you work your way thru to the end? I know I ask such short easy questions..lol... but I need advice and love your space.. give me words of inspiration to move forward...lol
January 30, 2013 at 2:01PM   
minniegirl
Hello from Selkirk Ontario on Lake Erie. Love the kitchen. Looking to reno our kitchen to open up all the walls facing the lake. Not sure if we could do something like you have done because of space wise. What is the measurement from your window to the back wall (fridge wall).
Thank you
January 30, 2013 at 2:05PM   
dreamdesignerintraining
What a change! I noticed you said you are a mother of 3 little girls. Me too. ;-) Nice kitchen - the chairs are great for your children! Saw the pictures of the living space too. Have to ask - where do you keep your daughters' toys? It is a lovely space but can you host playdates? We are just at the planning stage of a massive reno and looking for ideas. We like your clean lines and minimalist approach, however; we will need much more storage space for our girls' toys, arts and crafts etc.... Your house looks like our first place (pre children)!
February 15, 2013 at 2:26PM     
hazeldazel
beautiful renovation!
February 19, 2013 at 7:23PM     
designideas4me
Are those pantry cabinets you used for the lower level with 24 inch on top? Or which exact cabinet sizes did you choose to make the full wall configuration? I was in Ikea this week end and came across a problem with the cornor angled cabinet. I want straight edges. Do you have a break or a door separating your 2 walls in the cornor? thx
February 19, 2013 at 10:54PM   
Ellessebee
Can you tell me what's on the wall behind the black sofa? Paint or wallpaper? Just beautiful - I MUST have it!!
February 20, 2013 at 6:17AM     
dreamdesignerintraining
twoolgar, can you please post pictures of the rest of the place (mudroom, master bedroom, 2nd and 3rd bedrooms, powder room)? I'm assuming the bedroom you show is the guest room. Thx!!
February 20, 2013 at 11:25AM   
PRO
Olde Wood Ltd.
Very nice!
February 20, 2013 at 12:20PM     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
WOW amazing job!!!! one of the best remodels I've seen on here !
February 20, 2013 at 12:55PM     
PRO
SPACIALISTS
I love it!
February 22, 2013 at 10:06PM     
tdub1111
Thanks everyone for your delightful compliments, it really means a lot to us. To answer some questions, dreamdesignerintraining: the girls each have their own bedrooms with bunkbeds, desks, bookcases, closets and beanbag chairs. They store their toys in shallow bins that slide out from under their beds. We hold to the theory that not every room in the house has to be their play space, and fortunately, they respect that! :) Also, that is our master bedroom pictured, the other three bedrooms are the girls' rooms. There's another full bath on the main level (for the girls) and a powder room/laundry off the mudroom. All bathrooms feature the same tile as in the ensuite. I'm sorry, these are all the photos I have for the time being.

Ellessebee, that's actually the same stone veneer that's on the exterior of our home. This will give you an idea of what it is (I gather products like it are widely available; our contractor found something like this at a steal of a deal): http://www.stoneselex.com/Natural-Stone-Panel/QuartziteLedge

This was not a "farmhouse" in the lovely, rustic, pastoral sense. If only it had been! We could have a grand old time restoring it to a modern farmhouse a la Dwell. Rather, it was a 1950s cinderblock box that had undergone an all-oak overhaul in the early '80s so that no remnant of the original house remained save for the unfinished, cold-storage, stoop-to-avoid-hitting-your-head basement. We took the bones of what we had and - respecting our budget - made it into a space that's a peaceful, open, bright sanctuary for our family and friends.
March 1, 2013 at 7:16PM     
Ellessebee
Twoolgar - I absolutely love everything you've done! We are building a new house on an existing footprint/foundation (with major repairs) and wish I could have done something like yours. But, alas, the town and neighbors aren't quite ready for the modern boxy look on the lake and we would have had to keep it to 1 story because of sq footage constraints. But on the inside, I can do what I want - and I hope to achieve something as beautiful as yours. Thank you so much for opening your house to us and sharing your experience and information.
March 1, 2013 at 7:32PM     
tdub1111
Thank you Ellessebee, truly. Best of luck with your home, I'm sure it will be beautiful. As long as YOU love it and is a space you look forward to being in, that's all that matters. Thank you again for all your kind words!
March 1, 2013 at 7:37PM   
Larry Young
Fabulous fireplace - along with the rest of the house!
March 1, 2013 at 7:46PM   
designideas4me
wait.. come back.... you didnt answer my question.... so I went to Ikea and as I was doing the design I found out that they only have cornor cabinets that are on an angle...which I hate. So it seems you must end the cabinets at the wall and have nothing next to it and then somehow start another wall. you know what I mean? Is your whole wall in the back pantry style? Can you explain to me what cabinets are on that wall... like what sizes. Thx again. I totally agree too about obnoxious people on here making rude comments just cuz they are protected behind a screen. jerks really.
March 1, 2013 at 11:11PM   
sttochka
I personally love the style of the house. I just mentioned that surroundings is often dictate the style of the exterior and the interior.
March 2, 2013 at 11:47PM   
tarasocorro
Fantastic job. It looks like my dream home :)
Kudos to you & your reno team!!
March 4, 2013 at 9:13PM     
PRO
Andee Photography Fine Art And Digital Design
Very nice my. Fave is the hanging lights those are fantastic! :)
March 5, 2013 at 8:28AM   
DIAspoton
i was already liking the kitchen and the wonferful lights. but then you blew me away with those windows in the rest of the house. fantastic. that view is a constant reminder of all that's right with the world!
March 5, 2013 at 10:21AM   
Nancy Hehmann
I absolutely love, love your house! I am sure you are really enjoying it!
March 5, 2013 at 11:00AM   
dreamdesignerintraining
Thank you for your reply. Enjoy your beautiful home! It really is lovely and if ever you have an opportunity to post more pictures, we would all love to see! Cheers. :)
March 5, 2013 at 5:34PM   
dreamdesignerintraining
One of the great things about this site is that people will be honest with you. Friends and family sometimes only tell us what we want to hear when they visit our homes. On this site you find folks who are passionate about design; they know what they like... and what they don't. I personally think it is important to remember how much our homes mean to some of us and be sensitive. However, I understand that not everyone gets that. Anyway, there are so many positive comments about this remodel, why not focus on them? Again, I think it is lovely! Cheers :)
March 6, 2013 at 8:02AM     
Katerina Antonovich
Minimalism and interesting lighting adds light and harmony to the interior. Very Interesting! You definitely have a design talent!
March 7, 2013 at 11:26AM        Thanked by tdub1111
Carol Reber
Very stunning & lovely. The light fixture makes the room.
July 13, 2013 at 9:44AM        Thanked by tdub1111
designideas4me
How is your cork floor holding up? pros and cons? Hope you get time to read this and reply. I know your post was a bit older. Thx
July 13, 2013 at 11:51AM   
foreverblowingbubbles
We have just bought a block in the hills in Perth Western Ausrtalia
and a smaller version of your home would be perfect with all of the windows
Are you able to share the floor plans?
August 21, 2013 at 3:34PM     
PRO
WineRacks.com
Looks good. Great job!
August 22, 2013 at 11:54AM      Thanked by tdub1111
PRO
Shak├║ff
I just love what you did! To think you did it without a designer!! Looks great! The pendants remind me of our own blown glass pendants so of course we naturally like those most especially ;)
August 22, 2013 at 1:35PM      Thanked by tdub1111
awonkeydonkey
Wow, That is breath taking.
August 23, 2013 at 7:29PM        Thanked by tdub1111
wifemothergoddess
Seeing the title I was expecting something completely different. While its not my style, there is no denying you created something beautiful for yourself and family.
August 23, 2013 at 7:50PM        Thanked by tdub1111
andj32
You eliminated almost all your counter space.., How are you able to prepare things with such little counter space?
August 24, 2013 at 11:32AM   
PRO
Revolutionary Gardens
"You eliminated almost all your counter space.., How are you able to prepare things with such little counter space?" LOL. We have less usable space than they do (old farmhouse with an awful 1950s "update") and we do dinner parties in our kitchen. You just use every horizontal surface that doesn't move (which is why our cats won't lay down in the kitchen)
August 24, 2013 at 11:52AM     
tdub1111
Hi @andj32, the homeowner here. The countertop is nearly 10' (the photo's deceiving) and we seem to have plenty of room, often with two of us prepping. So far, so good!
August 24, 2013 at 11:58AM   
tdub1111
@foreverblowingbubbles - attached are the plans we did for permits, and you can also view the complete 'My Houzz" feature here:

Good luck with your home - it sounds wonderful!
August 24, 2013 at 12:06PM   
moejoe50
Love love love it!! Especially the pendant lighting!!
August 24, 2013 at 6:48PM      Thanked by tdub1111
designideas4me
How are those cork floors and the ikea cabinets holding up?
August 24, 2013 at 7:00PM   
hm k
Spectacular! I love how you used cork and you live in wine country...Nice touch!
Do you have pics of your stone wall? My husband and I want to do that on a very large wall and we can't visualize it. If you had a pic it would really help :)
Thanks!
August 28, 2013 at 7:28PM      Thanked by tdub1111
designideas4me
Ha Ha... I never made that connection. I live in wine country as well.... Temecula. Maybe I should save those corks so I can finally make a floor..
August 28, 2013 at 9:25PM     
PRO
9 months later - 3rd time by - still loving your living spaces . . .
August 30, 2013 at 9:07AM        Thanked by tdub1111
PRO
Pure Home
We are floored! Beautiful!
August 30, 2013 at 1:15PM      Thanked by tdub1111
taylvs3
I love those glass pendant lights. Would you mind sharing where you got them?
August 30, 2013 at 1:42PM      Thanked by tdub1111
PRO
DutchCrafters Amish Furniture
Gorgeous new remodel!
August 30, 2013 at 1:52PM      Thanked by tdub1111
tdub1111
Hi all, and thank you SO much! @hm k, you'll find a photo of the stone wall in this idea book, hopefully that will help.

@taylvs3, you'll also find sources for most of the larger items - including the pendants - at the link above. Let me know if you're curious about anything else, and thanks again!
August 30, 2013 at 2:38PM     
Kim Bates
Absolutely fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing, lovely and an inspiration!
August 30, 2013 at 6:45PM      Thanked by tdub1111
PRO
KBR Design & Build
The space looks so much larger!
March 12, 2014 at 5:43PM   
PRO
Michael Lee, Inc
Wow! Incredible new look!
March 12, 2014 at 6:16PM   
PRO
123 Remodeling Inc.
Amazing change. Very stylish and contemporary.
July 17, 2014 at 12:43PM   
PRO
SoCal Contractor
Great transformation! Looks very sleek!
July 17, 2014 at 2:58PM   
firdous20
Love the new look especially the lights
July 18, 2014 at 7:32PM