powered by
Design Dilemma
Design Dilemma

Window covering help

lauracoDecember 12, 2012
I have a sliding glass door that needs window covering. The adjacent windows will have wood slat blinds. Any suggestions for the slider?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy Hehmann
I would get drapes with grommets. Pick out the drapery rod (Lowes as nice ones) after you get the drapes b/c the grommets are different sizes. You can look on JCPenney.com for a lot of choices. Since privacy is not much of an issue with the fence you can leave them open. Looks like snow on the ground - the website has thermal drapes which can help with decreasing heating costs a bit.
    Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 7:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Thanks! I like the idea of drapery. Since the door is off center I wonder how wide to go with the drapes. They'll only hang on one side. Any thoughts? (Yes, Denver finally got a smattering of snow!)
    Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 7:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
I would have the drapes wider than the window. Have them wide enough so that when they stack to the left, only about 4-6 " of the window will be cover. It will give you the illusion of a wider window and will seem to be more centered.
    Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 8:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy Hehmann
I would extend the drapes on the left side to just beyond the edge of the door. Because most drapery rods will extend a couple inches beyond that. I also like the rod to be as round as the grommets will allow - I think they look better. I would use artwork on the other side of the door or photography. Although if I new whether this is a family room and what your other furniture is, I could advise you most appropriately. I mean- like if it is part of the kitchen or something you might want something different.

Denver is a lovely area; but, I live in SC. Went to a beautiful wedding in Breckingridge years ago. Picture book perfect! We have been having less snow in the last few years! If we do get some, I think I am going to photograph, photograph, photograph since it has decreased so much. Check out my Etsy.com shop which is nancyhehmann!
    Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 8:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Thanks for all of your input!
    Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 2:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Grommet hung is a nice look, but for functionality, I like decorative ring traverse rods. They open an close easily and look good. I would add panels to the other window as well, but they can be just decorative.

This is a sleek look:
Ripplefold Drapery Header · More Info
, while the traditional pinch pleat has more fabric:
Master Bedroom · More Info

I think the sleek ripplefold is a perfect look for your space.
    Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 2:51PM
Sign Up to comment
Related Discussions
Need window covering help in my new kitchen!
Love my neutral kitchen but need a pop of colour! Walls...
Kitchen/Living Room Window Coverings....HELP!
We are reno'ing our entire main floor...the full back...
Window covering help!
This is a picture of our stairwell window. I'm needing...
Kristy Singer_Dian
Window covering help
I'm in desperate need for ideas. Do I go ceiling to...
Window covering help
I have these three windows in my dining room and was...
More Discussions
Need help for 2 story family friendly room
We have recently moved into our home and this room...
Starting Over-need advice
We got rid of all our living room furniture and are...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
Help with furniture, paint and deco!
Would like to use as office. Currently chair is desk...
Nursery paint color dilemma?! Need help!
We painted a stripe wall however we used different...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.