Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Window covering help
lauraco
December 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have a sliding glass door that needs window covering. The adjacent windows will have wood slat blinds. Any suggestions for the slider?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Nancy Hehmann
I would get drapes with grommets. Pick out the drapery rod (Lowes as nice ones) after you get the drapes b/c the grommets are different sizes. You can look on JCPenney.com for a lot of choices. Since privacy is not much of an issue with the fence you can leave them open. Looks like snow on the ground - the website has thermal drapes which can help with decreasing heating costs a bit.
December 12, 2012 at 7:37am   
lauraco
Thanks! I like the idea of drapery. Since the door is off center I wonder how wide to go with the drapes. They'll only hang on one side. Any thoughts? (Yes, Denver finally got a smattering of snow!)
December 12, 2012 at 7:42am   
izzysnana
I would have the drapes wider than the window. Have them wide enough so that when they stack to the left, only about 4-6 " of the window will be cover. It will give you the illusion of a wider window and will seem to be more centered.
December 12, 2012 at 8:29am   
Nancy Hehmann
I would extend the drapes on the left side to just beyond the edge of the door. Because most drapery rods will extend a couple inches beyond that. I also like the rod to be as round as the grommets will allow - I think they look better. I would use artwork on the other side of the door or photography. Although if I new whether this is a family room and what your other furniture is, I could advise you most appropriately. I mean- like if it is part of the kitchen or something you might want something different.

Denver is a lovely area; but, I live in SC. Went to a beautiful wedding in Breckingridge years ago. Picture book perfect! We have been having less snow in the last few years! If we do get some, I think I am going to photograph, photograph, photograph since it has decreased so much. Check out my Etsy.com shop which is nancyhehmann!
December 12, 2012 at 8:33am   
lauraco
Thanks for all of your input!
December 12, 2012 at 2:37pm   
houssaon
Grommet hung is a nice look, but for functionality, I like decorative ring traverse rods. They open an close easily and look good. I would add panels to the other window as well, but they can be just decorative.

This is a sleek look: Ripplefold Drapery Header, while the traditional pinch pleat has more fabric: Master Bedroom.

I think the sleek ripplefold is a perfect look for your space.
December 12, 2012 at 2:51pm