Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Fixtures and Faucets
tigervalgal
December 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
How do I decide between brushed nickel and oil rubbed bronze light fixtures, door hardware and faucets? Most of my furniture is brown/bronze/gold/rust/light green, our floors will be a medium brown, cabinets in kitchen are off white with glaze and walnut island. I'm stuck....please help!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
Because your furniture colors are very warm, I might suggest going with the oil rubbed bronze, but if you really like the brushed nickel better, that will work fine as well. Which one do you prefer?
December 12, 2012 at 7:59AM   
Shawn Lagemann
It really is a personal preference. I might add, it is okay to mix finishes. For example: brushed nickel faucets and oil rubbed bronze for the lighting, door knobs etc. Remember to request hinges for your passageway doors that match the other hardware. Many companies still standardly use brass.
December 12, 2012 at 8:26AM   
tigervalgal
Initially I wanted brushed nickel because I felt like it gave a lighter look but now I'm second guessing myself based on my furniture selection....Does that really matter? So its ok to do brushed nickel faucets and oil rubbed bronze for lighting??? Which would I use for cabinet hardware?
December 12, 2012 at 9:04AM   
nasmijati
I chose a brushed nickel faucet for my stainless steel sink, as I think it "matched" the sink better than chrome.

Mixing metals in kitchens is perfectly acceptable. There is even an Ideabook titled "How to Mix Metals in the Kitchen."
December 12, 2012 at 9:13AM   
Shawn Lagemann
I think looking at the ideabook is a great idea. Go ahead and use the nickel for the faucets. If your kitchen cabinets have concealed hinges, decide on whether you'd like a knob or a pull and go get some and try them out. There have been so many finishes that have waxed and wained over the years look at light fixtures that appeal to you and the details of your home, then decide on the finish. You may be able to find more in one finish over another. Regardless of the popularity "at the time" some architecture looks better with certain finishes. Williamsburg Colonials still look amazing with brass, and antique gold, how popular is that choice today?
December 12, 2012 at 9:30AM   
More Discussions
Bathroom, can I make this work??
I have these pieces, cabinet - sink - and faucet. Our...
Kitchen back splash area not level
Just installed new cabinets and granite counter top...
Any suggestions for finishing my kitchen/living room
Hi all! I have been working on my kitchen for a while...
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Window treatments
I have a living room with a bar in front of a bay window....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.