Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Suggestions For Staging Kitchen Shelves
jagood
December 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
In the near future, we will be listing our home for sale. Our kitchen is rather unique, in that we have two separate cooking and prep areas, one sized for a man that is 6'4". We are somewhat minimalist and will be keeping that feel for staging. Right now, there is a set of floating shelves on each side of our range, that has never looked quite like I would like and now has items with sentimental value (belonged to our mothers - chickens, silver tray) that will be packed away. I am looking for suggestions for items to put on these shelves that will look good to people who will be touring our home.

Just so you know, the island that has the table cloth over it is now a butcher block top left unfinished (oiled). We are considering having it sanded, stained and sealed to more nearly match our cherry cabinets. The rest of the kitchen has granite countertops. I can post more photos of the entire kitchen if helpful. The kitchen is literally the center of our main floor, open to the great room (common area). More private areas are behind the kitchen - library, our offices. The room gets a lot of western light, and there is a view of canyon and valley for miles around. Home is craftsman lodge eclectic overall - with some Asian touches in master suite.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
jagood
More photos
December 12, 2012 at 9:44AM   
PRO
Color Zen
Kind of a fun one! :) Would love to offer some advice for your shelves... I would go really simple and neutral. Placing just a few objects (maybe 2) on each shelf. Choose things that are as large in size as the shelves will allow for (as scale is a bit of an issue here). I am thinking a Crate & Barrel type look (as far as the objects are concerned). Cream, white, & metal. Like a simple ceramic plate and small vase on a shelf. Nothing too busy. Minimal. Balance is key. I would purchase a slew of things and play for a bit until it works. Hope this helps!
December 12, 2012 at 10:01AM   
aramidepb
What about a couple of cookbooks, some clear glass decanters (for olive oil) and spices ... things that you would grab while cooking ... for the spices I would do a jar of white salt and a jar of black peppercorns to go with your minimalist look
December 12, 2012 at 10:03AM   
Leigh Durand
Gorgeous home! I always adhere to the adage "less is more". I would chose a few objects that are large scale like your kitchen. A couple of cookbooks horizontally or a large biscuit jar, imo you want to leave space for people to imagine... oh we could put our ______________ there. Remove the painting and half your cooking tools, let the space breathe.

I vote for leaving the butcher block unstained for contrast. Try a stainless bowl of fruit on it to tie in your appliances. Good luck!
December 12, 2012 at 10:13AM   
decoenthusiaste
The point of staging is to make prospective buyers feel like they've just found their perfect home, as you know. They also have to see it as easy to maintain. While the shelves are nice, I think most cooks would see them as grease and dust magnets! In other words, something to clean all the time! Try to make them look, not decorative, but useful, as suggested above. Right now, only the shelf where the utensils are hanging looks to be useful.Try some nice ceramic bakeware stacked there for easy reach. A few cookbooks, big pepper mill and salt shaker, cannister of tea. Keep it looking like they could move in with their stuff and love it.
December 12, 2012 at 10:40AM     
PRO
Dytecture
This looks great as you have there. I wouldn't change a thing.

December 12, 2012 at 10:44AM     
jagood
I'm working on some of your ideas using stuff I already have - thanks so much for your comments. I just took down everything, and cleaning the grease off the chickens before packing them up. I'll post another photo in a day or two - need to purchase a couple of things to fill in - and if you are all kind enough to give me feedback on that so I can "polish" the look for staging, I'd really appreciate it. You are all so generous with your time, and I appreciate it...... I forgot to mention that the shelves are not very deep. They bow out toward the center slightly, and at the widest are 6 inches.
December 12, 2012 at 2:08PM