powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Cambria Torquay / Silestone Lyra / Caesarstone Misty Carrera w/ White thermofoil cabinets?
apple tree
December 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Input, suggestions are appreciated. We're having a hard time deciding.
Any input for backsplash also appreciated. Thanks for your time!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
They all resemble marble and look about the same (very lovely). I'd like the back splash the same as the counters.
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 8:53PM
apple tree
Thoughts on Praa Sands from Cambria?
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 2:59AM
TanCalGal
I think the Praa Sands is too busy.
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 7:28AM
apple tree
Thanks! Preference on Cambria Torquay or Silestone Lyra or Caesarstone Misty Carrera?

Any preference on dark or white countertops with white cabinets?
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 7:37AM
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Both the Praa Sands and the Torquay are beautiful as is just about every Cambria product. I am a huge Cambria fan - their customer service is outstanding. Approved Cambria installers have to go to Cambria School so you know that Cambria takes their installations very seriously. What are you putting on the floor? All the finishes together will tell a story and you want it to be a good one. :)
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 7:39AM
PRO
Stoneshop
I prefer Cambria's Torquay or Silestone's Lyra over Caesarstone's Mistry Carrara. I belive those two look closer to real marble. If you want a cleaner, brighter space, I also prefer white cabinetry with one of these surfaces. Perhaps black island cabinetry?
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 7:42AM
apple tree
I'm not about floors! Suggestions? I'd like something light colored. What cambria do you think would look good on white cabinets? I can't decide between a whiteish countertop or a darker countertop.
Any suggestions would be wonderful! Thanks so much for asking!
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 7:44AM
apple tree
Stoneshop - you're idea about a black island would be great! Unfortunately, I have a small kitchen, so I don't have room for an island. I'll ask you one more question - so if you HAD to choose between the torquay or the lyra - what would you choose? I'm SO confused!!! Mary had a good point - what about floors? Do you have a thought on that? THanks!
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 7:46AM
apple tree
Mary - I saw your Award Winning Tottenham Kitchen! I love it! If you have time, what is the backsplash and the countertop? Did you have to put a "header", I think, in the attic to knock down the wall? Thanks!
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 7:49AM
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Hi Apple Tree, Thank-you for loving the kitchen, my clients do as well. :)

The section of wall that was removed was not a structural supporting wall, so no beam was needed. This is something that you must have looked at and engineered by a professional.

The countertop is a laminate - it was refreshing to have a client who didn't think she needed to have an expensive counter top just because everyone else was getting them.

The laminate is similar to Cambria's Cranbrook - it's a soft mix of browns/taupes/greys

The back splash is grey glass tiles with a brown undertone - grout as close to the tile colour as possible.

Oh and the sink, though you didn't ask, is another favorite of mine, it's one of Blanco's Silgranit sinks.

Flooring - some people like a tiled floor, most of my clients are still opting for a wood floor in the kitchen though recently I completed a project where a Wicanders cork flooring was used. This client loves to cook, so spends a great deal of time in the kitchen and loves the soft giving yet supportive feel under foot.

Cheers
Mary
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 8:22AM
PRO
Stoneshop
Hi apple tree,

If I had to choose between the Torquay and the Lyra, I would probably choose the Lyra. It looks beautiful installed, & our company loves Silestone products. Flooring is somewhat difficult to suggest without seeing the rest of your space or surrounding rooms. In white kitchens, hardwood or porcelain tiles that look like wood are just beautiful. Travertine in a versaille pattern is always stunning, too.

Best of luck! I'm sure that everything will turn out great :)
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 8:30AM
apple tree
Thanks so much!
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 8:36AM
apple tree
Hi Mary - thanks for the info! Do you mind sharing which laminate? (I apologize if it's on your site, somewhere).
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 8:37AM
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
While I choose the finish, my cabinet maker took care of the order and install of the counter top so I have no invoices filed away. I should have it in my hand written notes but at this time I'm not able to access them quickly. The colour way that I posted with the Cambria product is pretty darned close though.

Cheers
Mary
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 8:54AM