powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Surprise, carpet coming! (In 48 Hrs!) Need wall color advice from my Houzz friends!
nnouza
December 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Husband wants carpet before guests for Christmas therefore, carpet getting installed Friday! Have been asking and was pleasantly surprised with this purchase. Last night I moved the furniture out with the exception of the bed. Here is the problem: the paint behind the headboard.
The room was a pale sage. Wanted a different color and moved to a more blue-gray. When I painted, my back was bothering me so...I just painted around the headboard. I know, lame. So, upon discovery last night, I went to our paint cans only to discover this color is not in the collection. Must have run out and never wrote the name. So....I need your help!
I prefer to not paint the whole room-due to my work schedule but need to least do this wall tomorrow night. What do you think???
I will post pics but just got home and hope they are to too dark. BTW, the painting of the sleeping girl was an anniversary gift.
Carpet is neutral tan/brownish...
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judianna20
Honestly, I would just put the bed back and live with it until you decide to paint the entire room again. I think if you are in the mood to paint anything I would paint the bed the color of the woodwork. :>)

2 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 1:28PM
dmoran0
A pale grayed out lavender might look good with your wood, carpet and painting.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 1:33PM
decoenthusiaste
Def paint the headboard to match the woodwork. Paint the new "accent" wall the color of the girl's hair. If you don't like it you can have a "do-over" after guests leave!
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 1:45PM
PRO
Design Mode
Chip off a piece of your wall and get it colour matched, then paint the wall. Hurry!
Air out the room before company comes.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 1:51PM
nnouza
What type of frame for the painting do you think? Also, what about putting up a piece of decorative wood and paint that and the part belw it white?
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 1:56PM
victorianbungalowranch
I have done what Design Mode suggests and it worked great! You need a chip at least the size of a half dollar, and make sure to clean it before chipping, and avoid dirty areas around light switches and such. Do you remember the manufacturer or the finish That helps.

Home Depot offers samples in flat and semi-gloss, which is nice because you don't have to buy a whole can. Sometimes I even take more than one sample and mix, especially if the finish is not flat. Another option is to mask it off and paint it a distictly different color.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 1:58PM
lefty47
HI -- Sorry about the paint BUT you are going to have to repaint anyway. Even if you had left over paint color, it would not match with what you have already painted because the color changes once it has been there for awhile . If you need another color I think Restoration Hardware's paint color " DUSK " would look beautiful with your painting . Love the painting and I hope you are going to have it framed , then it will look complete.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 3:17PM
inkwitch
Sounds like what you need is a quick fix until you can take the time to do it all right. Think about this (and I'm an old hand at making do):

Get a quart of paint that compliments either the wall (2 shades deeper of what you already have) or the heardboard (orange really doesn't do much for that painting and vice versa), but avoid reds and oranges (they take priming undercoats which take too long). Paint the wall up to the odd looking white splotch.

Buy a decent piece of chair rail molding. Paint it the same color. Attach the molding (carefully) to the wall above the headboard where the two colors meet. It should go across the entire span of wall to the curtained corner.

Headboard framed. Paint "oops" solved. Fast fix. It doesn't have to look fantastic -- just better than what you've got.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 4:02PM
PRO
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
Please please paint before you install that carpet..and a warm yellow would look great without redoing the headboard. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6675-afternoon/
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 5:02PM