Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
trying to figure out how to do our iron stairs
murrayml
December 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I believe the iron stair guy said the the iron rods will not go directly into the stair, but into a bottom rail (as in the pics..) trying to decide if I should go with all straight rods, or add something to it, ie. rail with a knot in it or circle in it... or twist... If I do add one of those type rods, should I sequence every third or fourth rail... ie. (straight rod, straight rod, twist rod, straight rod, straight rod, twist rod... or every fourth (ie. straight, straigtht straigth, twist.... etc.)
Our furniture is transitional . I have lots of asian pieces, contemporary art work. My chandelier that will be in the foyer is the Solaris Orb pendant. Thanks !!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olldcan
Is your stair a straight run, a switch back or eased. Also is it open or closed rise. Carpet or hardwood. When the rods go directly into the treads it looks quite different that if they go into a bottom rail, especially if your picking a repeating pattern.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 2:11PM
olldcan
Are you picking something different for the handrail upstairs that overlooks what we see in the picture, foyer/greatroom?
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 2:13PM
Karen Heffernan
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 3:02PM
Cora Torres_Patek
Have you considered a pewter modern type of rails? Here is an example: http://www.custommade.com/3-story-railing-system/by/thirdstreetstudios/
2 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:16PM
Karen Heffernan
these are great as well

2 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:17PM
Leigh Durand
That is a lot of railing and will make a huge design impact . Wrought iron is visually heavy. I would do very modern railings with brushed steel with glass.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 3:30PM
PRO
K&L Construction Co;Inc
How about this?
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:40PM
houssaon
Since you have so much railing, I think it would look better with some variety. Take a look in the PHOTO section of Houzz, search railing in hall and entry. Here is a simple example where the railing that on first glance looks the same, but the twist is a different levels: Lorraine Vale.

These custom designs would work: Iron Work, hand forged custom Iron for Luxury Home in So. Cal 1 and Iron Work, hand forged custom Iron for Luxury Home in So. Cal 2.

I particularily like Karen Heffernan's first two suggestions.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 3:41PM
judianna20
I like the Robeson Design that houssaon posted and run it up in the loft and down the stairs.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:49PM
murrayml
these are the photos of the stairs.... (sorry, I thought I had added them earlier)
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 7:11PM
murrayml
There will be a black baby grand in the area by the window (next to the stairs). My Orb chandelier and my (retangular) dining room chandelier are both satin nickel finish.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 7:25PM
olldcan
Are you having railing upstairs as well or are you going with a pony wall for that area. If railing and you need it to match I'd keep it more straight lined and simple, something like in the Lorraine Vale picture Houssan posted. Be careful not to over do it, sounds like you have an interesting collection to add and those items should take centre stage. Railing styles will come and go!!!
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 7:28PM
olldcan
I tried to find a few pictures of switch back stairs with a base and hand rail. *L* there seems to be a shortage of these on Houzz. In looking, I came across these ideas, I don't know if you considered something like this but thought they were very nice alternatives.
[houzz=Rocky Ledge Stair]
[houzz=exedra architects]
[houzz=Living Room - View through house]
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 8:16PM
decoenthusiaste
I think this is pretty.

0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 8:27PM
Kathy Loegering
I think these are kinda cool!
6 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 5:51PM
Kathy Loegering
I like the left on better because it is lighter and more delicate!
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 5:52PM
orangecamera
Kathy, those are amazing!
1 Like   December 13, 2012 at 6:05PM
murrayml
Yes I have printed out the one on the left and have it in one of my "favorite" folders just in case I ever win a million dollars ! Lol. The tree on the left is spectacular !!
2 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 10:43PM
Kathy Loegering
I totally agree and I have the one on the left in my "dream home" file. I got the pictures off of facebook. The post was under "I love creative designs and unusual ideas"! I have several photos from there that I love.
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 8:36AM
Cora Torres_Patek
I agree, the one on the left is so interesting... do you think maybe you can find a local welder that can maybe do it for less money?
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 9:48AM
olldcan
I agree, it's totally cool and I love it however neither the rail on the left or the right meet building codes in my area. Depending on where you live, you may or may not have these codes to follow.
1 Like   December 14, 2012 at 10:53PM
PRO
Emerald Ironworks
That space has clean lines. Perhaps a rail like the one I've included here? It could obviously be done with a wood cap that matches the wood floors. We custom built and installed these railings: www.emeraldironworks.com
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
Where can I buy a vanity like this?
I'm looking for a shallow vanity for my bedroom, in...
Need help for my kitchen
I have an old cherry table, medium oak chairs, cherry...
Where can I find chairs like these?
I'm looking for 4 chairs like in the attached photo,...
International Delivery
Hello. I am from the Philippines (currently working...
Grey cabinets with dark brown wood floors?
My wife and I are building a new house and are currently...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.