powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ordering my dream sofa, but HELP, which length?
lexinarlington
December 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Redoing my living room, and I've decided on the Fielding sofa by Mitchell Gold, with the lines of a Chesterfield but cleaner and less fussy. It will be covered in a mocha linen-type fabric.

But I am agonizing over which length, 94" versus 106." (Height and depth are the same, 30" and 46", respectively--yes, it's a deep sofa!) I'm leaning toward 106" length.

So the wall overall is 149". Current sofa is 89"w x 39"d x 39"h with seat dimensions of 69"w x 24".

In favor of the 106":
- 82" seating width (vs 70" on the 94-inch) means tall husband can lie down fully, maybe can seat 3 people more comfortably
- it has 3 seat cushions instead of 2, which for some reason appeals to me more visually
- the 106" length seems more proportionate to the super 46" depth and those fat rolled arms, i.e. overall a little longer and leaner

Against the 106", In favor of the 94"
- 106" only allows for 21.5" on either side if sofa is placed symmetrically on center of wall

I'm attaching the company photos of the sofa in question, and then my attempt to approximate the look of the 106" with cardboard boxes and painter's tape! Hope you have great imaginations.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I love chesterfields, until you get to be a certain age, and then they seem to grow very low. If you are not interested in end tables, then go for the longer one. Hubby will like it, you'll appreciate the 3 cushions (3-4-7 are what the eye looks for in design) and it is lovely. Are you sure it wouldn't look better placed perpindicular to the wall, between the window and the lightswitch?
December 12, 2012 at 4:04PM   
lexinarlington
thanks decoenthusiaste. hopefully "a certain age" will be a long way away!

putting it where you suggest would mean it completely blocks the open kitchen/living room/family room concept. so the current placement is best we think.
December 12, 2012 at 4:22PM   
feeny
I agree--if you have room for it (and it looks like you do) larger sofas are just more versatile. In our house we fought so much over who got to lie lengthwise on the sofa reading that I had to add sofas in other rooms. Otherwise the minute you got up to get a drink, someone would steal the sofa from you. So as much as I don't like overstuffed furniture, I think a large streamlined chesterfield would be great.
December 12, 2012 at 4:44PM   
feeny
BTW we did the exact same thing you are doing with cardboard boxes to estimate the size of a small sectional in a very small TV room. It turned out to be exactly as we had envisioned via the box technique.
December 12, 2012 at 4:46PM   
orangecamera
Taping it out was a great idea. 106" seems like the best choice for all the reasons you mentioned. The sofa doesn't need to be centered on the wall. Ideally you'll want a sense of balance in the room, it doesn't have to be symmetry.

Take your wall measurement (149") and subtract the amount of space you need for your round end table. Center your sofa on whatever that result is. You already have height on the right from that (fantastic, btw) floor lamp and valance. You can balance that by putting something on the wall above your new sofa. One large something...maybe a round or oval mirror or shiny thing to tie in with your floor lamp.

Once you have the new sofa in, take a picture. Then you can play around by drawing the shape, size and placement of your wall art, before you buy and hang it.
December 12, 2012 at 4:50PM   
Darzy
Ditto. Get the biggest one. Very nice!
December 12, 2012 at 4:51PM   
lexinarlington
Thanks, that's what I wanted you all to say!
December 12, 2012 at 6:03PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Okay as long as you are absolutely certain that you'll not be moving for 5 to 10 years! If you do, rest assured that the house you love in a new location will not accommodate the sofa! Murphy's law.
December 12, 2012 at 6:57PM   
lexinarlington
We plan to live here for next 100 years
December 12, 2012 at 6:58PM   
PRO
Bravo, and take you vitamins!
December 12, 2012 at 7:00PM     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Yikes - I vouch for the smaller sofa - you've got a hallway on one end, so if you maximize it out, your end table is going to have to be too small to proportionately fit with that sofa.

Opt to go smaller in length for the sofa, then maintain your proportions in getting a bigger, more chunky end table. Mix up the shapes of the end tables if your not symmetrical minded, by having one square and one round.

Good Luck!
December 12, 2012 at 11:49PM     
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I vote for the smaller sofa...the larger 106" will be too long and look too large for the space. It would look great to have a side table on either side of the sofa, and wouldn't be possible with the larger version. Just another opinion :) Keep us posted and let us know what you decide to do.
December 13, 2012 at 5:35AM     
PRO
End tables are not necessary when floor lamps can be used instead. However, a table on one end would be nice. I find that end tables are space grabbers and omitting them gives a more open and spacious look. The coffee table fulfills the need of where to put down your coffee mug or glass of wine.
December 13, 2012 at 6:28AM     
John
The current sofa looks small for its space, given the rest of the way you're furnishing the room. My answer might be different if the chair on the side was flush with the sofa corner.
December 13, 2012 at 7:07AM   
PRO
Baltimore Architectural Detail LLC
When in doubt buy the biggest one that will fit in your current space, it will be more valuable in the long run. I tend to believe that "Parlour length" (help me here designers) sofas, the modern loveseat, cant do justice for seating 3....
December 13, 2012 at 12:34PM   
PRO
Baltimore Architectural Detail LLC
I agree that the lower is better in this case also since the window is going to be blocked a bit. A bottoms up shade or blind might be a nicetouch there....
December 13, 2012 at 12:38PM   
lexinarlington
thanks everyone. for the record, the loveseat to the right will get recovered, the hideous valences replaced with simple floor length drapes, and wall will get painted in Benjamin Moore "Silver Fox". gonna be sumptuous. the Mitchell Gold 20% off sale can't come soon enough.
December 13, 2012 at 2:05PM   
PRO
karen paul interiors
Houzz, please remove Julia Brown. Thanks
December 13, 2012 at 5:20PM   
PRO
karen paul interiors
Your boxes account for the depth of the new sofa?
December 13, 2012 at 5:24PM   
nevadan
Always buy the smaller sofa. Only to peple at a time will ever sit on it, except watching TV. If you want a big sofa that does not overpower your room, you must go sectional.
December 13, 2012 at 5:29PM   
myrns
3 cushions are better than 2 but it is still very rare to get more than 3 people to sit on a sofa/chesterfield. If you go with the really long one, your coffee table is going to look like a miniature and be too small to reach. I would choose the shorter one with decent side tables. When hubby stretches out his feet can be elevated...................which is good for circulation.
December 13, 2012 at 5:39PM   
PRO
Blend Real Estate
My sofa at 104 inches is just perfect. Room for two adults, lots of pillows and multiple cats! Go big.
December 13, 2012 at 5:48PM   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
If you are going for the longer sofa then you might consider a long narrow sofa table placed behind it that you can sit a tall lamp on to balance the window, along with a collection of framed prints or large sunburst mirror. I recommend a roman shade on the window behind the sofa even if the other windows have full length drapes. If the roman shade is made in the same fabric as the drapes they will be compatible. A plantation shutter painted the same color as the trim would also work well on this window. You may need a larger coffee table with the longer sofa especially if you eliminate side tables.
You then could use a pair of small cocktail tables in front of the love seat in the bay. If you are going for comfort then add side tables next to the long sofa if the space permits. They are always more comfortable than reaching for a drink on a coffee table. A tight topped ottoman with a large tray is more useful in a living/family room than a coffee table.
December 13, 2012 at 6:13PM   
Bonnie
My vote is for the smaller sofa. I think with a 3 cushion sofa that only 2 people will sit on it anyway. But more importantly, I think the large sofa is too big for that wall and will look out of proportion. Visual comfort is important too. Best of luck whatever your choice. Do share your finished results!
December 13, 2012 at 9:51PM   
greenthumb2
If you may use the couch for a nap -- you will love the longer sofa. A well made sofa can do triple duty. I never thought I would love a sofa over a love seat. Your choice looks very well made. If you just lay a blanket down and cover it with a sheet set and over top blanket -- presto another bed. Not advocating this as a weekly event -- but it can happen.

Sometimes the furniture is a little more important than if it looks perfect in a room. :=) PS, besides, that couch of yours will be the star performer! It is a beauty. great choice.
December 13, 2012 at 11:11PM   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Are you prepared to purchase a new rug, as the rug will look too small with the longer sofa. The coffee table will also need to be replaced IMO if you go with the longer one.
December 14, 2012 at 1:12AM   
pollyannagal
Lovely sofa. Go for the big one! The high arms on a chesterfield can make smaller ones feel squished. You have the room for it and it's not the only seating in the room so you won't all have to sit in a row on it. Also by the time you put some cushions on it (which you do need with the firm upright upholstery of a chesterfield) it won't look so big. End tables don't need to be round so you could go for a pair of narrow rectangular ones or for floor lamps with a couple of small tables that you can pull out to put drinks etc on when you need. I agree that you will need a larger coffee table.
December 14, 2012 at 9:57AM   
lexinarlington
@ Tres McKinney, I'm a Roman Shade virgin. do you suggest inside or outside mount? and really? you can just use the same fabric as whatever gets used for the drapes?
December 15, 2012 at 5:50PM   
PRO
I can't speak for Tres, but I prefer an inside mount unless I'm trying to increase the visual height of a room by starting the shade above the window, and then I' would usually start the shade at ceiling height or just below the crown moulding. And yes, you can certainly use the same fabric as nearby draperies, or a coordinating fabric, according to your design plan.
December 15, 2012 at 6:17PM   
pollyannagal
Regarding roman blinds: Inside mount would be ideal with your windows as they have a good trim which defines the window. Outside mount is best where there is no definite trim and the wall finish wraps into the window opening. Using the same fabric for blinds and curtains gives a professional look - if they aren't the same fabric it can look like you just put up some random window coverings or ran out of curtain fabric! If you want them to be different then I usually trim the blind with the curtain fabric and vice versa so that they are visually linked.
December 16, 2012 at 1:07AM   
More Discussions
What would the best colours be to paint my living room area to make it
Were busy renovating, the two pillars will be covered...
help with contemporary update to this traditional exterior
traditional exterior home renovation with contemporary...
Hang mirror horizontally or vertically?
I purchased the Eagan mirror from Pottery Barn to hang...
Astro Turf
I stayed in a airbnb recently where the front yard...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.