powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Front door color...need suggestions! Please!!!
khazlett
December 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Well...painted the front door on our house we are building an I am not digging it. Any suggestions???
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judianna20
For your hip-roof colonial I would put the mullions in the windows and paint the door high gloss black and add a hanging lantern over the front door.

3 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:44PM
nasmijati
I think it is more of a "front door package" issue, rather than the color of the door all by itself.

To me, the door seems a bit small and stark. I would get some good lighting for the space first.

Other Houzzers will know more about the sequence of changes needed to turn this home with excellent "bones" in to a real beauty.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:45PM
khazlett
Thanks for your input. I have a lantern just waiting for install. Hopefully that will help. I was going to paint the front door black but we have a light gray roof so was not sure if it would work.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:56PM
houssaon
I agree with the comments on the scale of the door. Definintely, need to have "the whole" package: Norwood Residence. If you can not replace the door or add side lights, then maybe build up the trim: Between Naps on the Porch, Home Renovation and Addition in Decatur

If you do want to paint your door, I recommend Old Navy 2063 Paint in a high gloss enamel finish. Approaching Storm CSP-535 Paint is a stunning color.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 4:13PM
smartin1
Will you have shutters on the house?
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 4:16PM
designmuse
Shutters would look great on this house --- definitely! Paint them the same color as whatever door color you end up using. Also, add a fun door knocker and a kickplate to front door in the same finish as door handle/knob. It is like jewelry for your door and makes a difference!
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 4:26PM
decoenthusiaste
I've always thought #1 to be a beautiful entry, but #2 is more like your house. Scale is the issue with your door as #3 expresses. You definitely need sidelights and probably a transom.
White Colonial House
Crisp Architects
New Construction
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 4:28PM
khazlett
Wow...see what you guys are saying about beefing up the door (thanks for the examples) side lights are probably a no go at this stage of the game. Maybe we can add more trim, though. Shutters...contemplating!
2 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 4:36PM
PRO
At Your Service Custom Window Treatments
I LOVE the idea of shutters - they add such character! I added the shutters in the BM old navy color and a red door - what do you think?
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 6:04PM
bygeorgi
Maybe a crazy suggestion, but I like to have my front door painted a color that reflects my interior accent color. Then pick up that color in landscaping materials. Works great considering most homes are mostly neutral.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 6:32PM
Knitter 81439
Love the red door. What about red shutters for the door? It would make it appear larger.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 6:50PM
decoenthusiaste
Please note that not just any red will do! Look for colonial red, which some call oxblood.
Sandywoods Farm
Standing Seam Metal Roofing in Colonial Red
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 7:09PM
kah416
This yellow door is fun! I love the gray house too..the colors really compliment. Are you thinking of painting your house someday, too?

1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 7:20PM
houssaon
I am not recommending a red door, but if you want red Dinner Party Paint is a great red.

Another way to beef up the front door is to add shutters to it: Exterior, Jennings Home and French Colonial Residence. I like your windows without shutters especially because some are double wide.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 8:30PM
tyso0023
Lime green. Looks sweet with shades of grey. It's a statement but looks awesome and will definitely turn some heads
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 8:37PM
Deborah Athanas
Shutter are fine I think. You still need to add more trim around door still looking unfinished
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 8:41PM
Bonnie
I would make it pop with a different door color and black shutters

0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 9:14PM
alwaysdesigning
I really like the marine blues or brighter navy tones. Black seems to harsh and looks like a hole in the wall. the blues create a nice fresh vibe with the white of the house. Benjamin Moore Marine Blue 2059-10 Paint . or Benjamin Moore Polo blue is a nice color.
Good luck
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 9:51PM
maripi
Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkk!!!!
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 10:11PM
PRO
yalama Arts and consultancy
Your building seems to be under construction. The color to accentuate the openings will depend basically on the landscaping and what material you will be using for the base. Just now your building is just diappearing in the surrounding against the white sky. some plantation close to entrance with boarder door trim may accentuate the door. all the best.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 11:47PM
khazlett
Thanks for all the input and ideas! Sidewalks and landscaping go in very soon. I will post more pics once those are installed with the front porch lantern. This is causing sleepless nights:) really want it to look great!
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 12:23AM
bdennison
I think Judyg hit the nail on the head. A beefier door painted black with the chandelier is beautiful.
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 3:52AM
jillybones
Definitely need a pop of color (chartreuse?) on the door and then a more cost effective way than installing the mullions would be a white surround of raised panels on each side and/or top of the door with a crown moulding pediment and also flank the entrance with raised lighted potted plants - nice home!
1 Like   December 13, 2012 at 4:09AM
italyvespa
I'm going to ask because I'm curious... If khazlett decided to hire a contractor to widen the front door space, would this be a hard/expensive project? Anyone know how much this would cost?
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 6:49AM
naomic1
I love red doors!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 7:55AM
Nancy Hehmann
I would drive through other neighborhoods to see what color combinations on other houses really "wow" YOU! That way you will see the colors on an actual structure.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 7:59AM
Katie Carson
I would personally go with Red.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:18AM
susanfenley
I say go with your favorite color for front door. Stick to traditional everything else. Transoms, chandelier or lights. Add a kick plate door knob/handle and door knocker in brass. I love turquoise blue. But, pick your favorite color.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:28AM
susanfenley
And black shutters. Front door in high gloss.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:37AM
Deborah Athanas
Yes high gloss have you looked at the fine paints from Europe ?
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:24PM
Deborah Athanas
High gloss red!!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:38PM
PRO
STUDIO MB
I like the navy too...also red but only if you are the first in the block to do it.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:47PM
jensen2
I would suggest blue or red for the door with some wide trim work all around it, including the top. Hang a black lantern and house numbers. On the other windows, I would put some scroll work (not sure of the correct term) at the top in white with some dark gray (darker than shingles) or black in it. Landscaping with color will add lots too. For the brick foundation, maybe add some white to give it a stone washed look.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:52PM
charlottegirl
Call Lantern & Scroll (I found them on Facebook) for your light fixture. You definitely need a lantern hanging in front of the door. How about this one? Cheers!
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 4:55AM
PRO
TheFurnitureCollection
Posted December 2012. Done?
0 Likes   September 23, 2014 at 4:06PM