Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Updating the curb appeal
faith_kl
December 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have two front doors and would like an updated tied together look. We are on the coast of Maine and our style runs modern/contemporary. Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
My thought is that I see one door. Somehow your dilemma isn't making sense to me.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:58PM
houssaon
More picutres of your house, please. One thing I would change is the roof.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 4:05PM
faith_kl
Here is the other door, the first time it didn't upload. Both doors are surrounded by cedar vertical boards but seems to be looking tired. Thanks.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 4:07PM
faith_kl
Here are another couple of pics. Thanks for the thoughts and help!
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 4:22PM
houssaon
Is one door the real front door, that you would prefer guests and others to use?
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 4:27PM
faith_kl
The sliding glass door is the entry to my home business (pilates studio) and the door under the covered porch is the entry for guests. Both doors are used consistently and both need to look inviting. The studio is closed off from the rest of the house. Thanks!
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 4:30PM
houssaon
If the sliders are not the main entry, I would build out the deck and move the steps to the side. Add a trellis to obscure the slider. Imagine this infront of the sliding door and the steps to one side: A Dover, MA addition: Garage, master bedroom suite, master deck, entry foyer, po. You could also install panels like these in the lawn along the driveway screening the deck area: Custom Decks & fences.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 4:39PM
PRO
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
Could start with some signage on the business door (to guide guests vs clients). What kind of budget are you thinking?
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 4:40PM
houssaon
Oh well, I would have a sign on the business side.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 4:41PM
decoenthusiaste
I'm really curious now! You say contemporary?? OK. Also interested in the story on the crooked little roof over the double door stoop. I think it is also too small to shield the steps from weather. Would suggest a larger metal awning of similar product to below and steel and glass or cable railings to pump up the contemporary vibe for you. Replicate the look at the porch side with steel wrapped columns minus the arches connecting them and the same glass or cable railings with steel.

0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 4:42PM
faith_kl
Your comment made me laugh! The story on the crooked little roof is that a friend decided to climb from the studio porch over the "little roof" and into the white barn doors on the second level because we have a rock climbing wall up there in the attic. He's a big guy!
Thanks for the ideas! We are about a mile back from the road so we don't need to increase privacy and yes, I agree a sign near the studio would be great. I'm really interested in how to make the front door area (under the covered porch) look a bit more inviting. Thanks again for the help! And the chuckle!
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 4:58PM
PRO
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
A gambrel roof is a challenging design element to blend with modern design. I’m not sure if it meets your design taste, but you could beef up the porch columns and possibly add some stone at the base of them – and then do the same under a larger roof over the slider door entry. Keep us posted!
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 6:15PM
houssaon
What if you added a paved area to leading to the guest front door? You could do something like this paver: via rosita. Add a railing and two new banisters: Hope Designs
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 8:56PM