Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help me find bedding for my girls room.
hnks
December 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Finally, furniture delivered. My daughter picked this room out of tens of them. The wall color is yellow and green and i am finding it difficult to find a bedding set that matches the color of the room and the curtain and that she still likes. Most out there are pink. Any ideas?
Thank you
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
designmuse
I have been lucking finding girls' bedding at Pottery Barn Teen. They have more options than the typical pink stuff. I have also found things on Overstock.com. Cute room. Good Luck!
December 12, 2012 at 5:13pm     
housemamma
How about simple a simple off white or white,(depending on furniture color) fluffy comforter. My daughter has a white duvet cover that can be washed. Then you can add throw pillows in the yellow or green ranges. Depending on her age, some "fake fur" pillows might be fun.
December 12, 2012 at 5:17pm     
judianna20

How about bedding which introduces another color?
December 12, 2012 at 5:22pm     
PRO
EB Interiors
I would definately take a change from the green and yellow. ..you need to break it up with fresh white duvet and fun throw pillows...
December 12, 2012 at 7:18pm     
PRO
EB Interiors
also white pique window panels
December 12, 2012 at 7:18pm     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi hnks, Marie here.
I think you need to get right away from any more green and yellow - its vibrating.
Bring in chrome, cream, whites, maybe another saturated colour - like purple something to ground it.

I realize the mood board below may be a bit too mature for your daughter, but maybe try black and white bedding? Or Purple with bright white - if you do introduce more green - make it richer, darker not so bright. Good Luck!
December 12, 2012 at 11:46pm     
bellandromeda
green and pink is a good combination, you can try this out, they've got green walls but the furniture stands out.
December 13, 2012 at 1:15am     
pollyannagal
White bedding with a textural interest such as pin tucks or ruffles would be lovely and fresh in this scheme. Fold the green blanket across the bottom of the bed and add a few deeper green cushions or white ones with a very simple green pattern (leaf or maybe gingham).

Please don't be tempted to put any more yellow in as that would throw the colour balance right out. You have several shades of green which work well with just one shade of yellow but would look overwhelming with more colours. Introducing additional colours or patterns in the bedding would look messy, especially as she will no doubt add lots of other pattern and colour with all her stuff.

P.S. That has got to be the thickest mattress I have ever seen - it makes me think of the fairy story about the princess and the pea. I bet your little princess sleeps well on it!
December 13, 2012 at 1:20am     
olldroo
Definitely white curtains and bedding it will look really fresh and sharpen the yellow and green and give the room a young look. I would like to see the curtains fuller too. Love the colour of the furniture. .
December 13, 2012 at 2:10am   
charleee
You could tone down the green a bit with white paint and some natural elements, like wood. Or white with touches of turquoise.
[houzz=Art&deco]
[houzz=Turquoise and Green Bedroom]
December 13, 2012 at 2:36am     
Donald
I'm going to vote all white bedding too. The bonus if everything is white is it doesn't all have to come in a set, you kind find things with different textures...crisp white sheets, fluffy comforters, cotton blankets, furry pillows, etc. maybe even monogrammed in green.
December 13, 2012 at 2:58am     
bdennison
if your daughter is set on the walls and curtains, go with white or pale lavender bedding. Lots of room to jazz things up from there
December 13, 2012 at 4:06am   
feeny
A little green and yellow go a long way, and you have a LOT of them. Definitely no more "matching" colors. You need accents. Others have suggested good options--either toning down with whites and creams, or going playful with pinks or purples or even oranges. Here's one of my favorite teen rooms with greens and oranges:

December 13, 2012 at 4:24am     
michigammemom
I agree that the intense green is overpowering the room. I would suggest bedding like this Rainbow Dot duvet from Pottery Barn Teen to lighten the room and add some contrasting pops of color. You might also consider white window treatments.
December 13, 2012 at 4:31am     
PRO
Design Mode
I think you need to get a different boxspring (8" shorter) or just a support board, to bring down the height of the mattress. It looks awkward and takes away from the design of the bed.
Then you could repaint the yellow to green, the lightest stripe colour. If your daughter likes yellow, use it so it has more impact, in the accessories and bedding. I would include hot pink as the main accessorizing colour, then yellow. Really, I'm just copying from a great room that Samantha Pynn did a on Pure Design, HGTV, which was all green with small touches of hot pink. The circle wall art was a do-it-yourself project for the girl. You can watch the entire episode on this blog. I like the rustic-crafty stuffed animal. http://mosaicworksca.blogspot.ca/2009/10/mosaicworks-on-hgtvs-pure-design.html
December 13, 2012 at 6:56am   
hnks
I agree that the mattress is really high and looks awkward. She does like it but I can talk her into removing the box spring and getting a support board to bring that height down.
I love all your ideas. Thank you so much. I am going to look for white with a bit of purple since that she loves purple. Oh my, monogramming a pillow is an awesome idea!
December 13, 2012 at 12:37pm     
bdennison
Happy shopping with DD.
December 13, 2012 at 1:00pm   
mytwoandmeis3
@pollyangel etal: That matress is fabulous! Just like one my parents gave me as an adolescent and it provided me with more than good support...I felt like a princess. I would have let my mom take it from me too, but I'd silently been sad.
December 13, 2012 at 5:01pm   
hnks
Here is an update, we got the bedding and need your opinions so far. Took me almost 2 months just for the bedding... Wondering how long it will take to complete the room...
Thanks!
March 4, 2013 at 4:43am   
charleee
Looks good! How old was she when you started? Just kidding. Can you move the bed and nightstand a bit to the right, so the nightstand covers the outlet? Personal peeve of mine:))
March 4, 2013 at 4:46am     
hnks
Haha! Come on, I am being fast here. :-)
I thought about the outlet when I was putting the furniture. I felt that moving the bed and nightstand towards the door to hide the outlet would make the room look and feel smaller. No?
March 4, 2013 at 4:54am   
charleee
Of course you're being fast here! I'm still working on a two-year old project, so in comparison, you're doing great! In my defense, it did start out as a simple bathroom redecorate.....

I can't really see what's on the other side of the room, but I would want the bed centered on that wall if possible. If the outlet is exposed it would drive me crazy, that's all. Maybe she has a large stuffed animal that could sit with it's back to the nightstand, kind of whimsical? I have a 50 year old teddy bear that's seen more homes than Carter has pills!
March 4, 2013 at 5:02am     
pollyannagal
Looking good. I would move the bed as oldbobbi suggests - far from making the room smaller it will open up a nice area between the bed and the window. Put a comfy reading chair or beanbag here (pink?) and a desk in the alcove so she's got a little space for drawing/ homework/dressing table (don't know how old she is?!). Kids love the feel of a semi-private space within a larger room. She's a lucky girl. I would have loved a room like that when I was little.
March 4, 2013 at 5:13am     
charleee
pollyannagal, you're so right, she's a lucky girl! Right before I turned 18 my mother redid my bedroom - in yellow dotted swiss! I do believe she was trying to tell me something.....
March 4, 2013 at 5:15am     
olldroo
What a difference. The curtains are still bugging me. If she really likes them, then that is fine although I would prefer a white sheer, but can you get more of the sheer to make them fuller. They look a bit untidy, sorry, and are dragging the room down.
March 4, 2013 at 5:20am   
hnks
Indeed, she does like semiprivate area. I am sure she would be too excited with a bean bag. Thank you ladies so much. I do have that corner as well for a desk. She wants a white one. Oh and she is 10 years old.
March 4, 2013 at 5:21am