Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
urgently need help!
catharine7
December 13, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My boyfriend and I are decorating his appartment that is on the first floor. We would like to have in our living room a fireplace. It is complicated because we want that the space suit for kids. This spring we are working on the garage where above we make a balcony, so we have a way out of the back of the house. Still thinking about how we'll put a sofa in the living room. Is it better truckle or just part sofas? The kitchen has a ready-made hood and kitchen counter, so my question is whether I should pull down the bar and so extend the kitchen where should be a kitchen island, or leave the bar to get a larger dining room? And it wouldnt be a problem to extend the windows because they are at a tiny and we want to have lighted rooms.
Looking forward to your help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Natalie
Hi---for the dining area, I think a bench along the wall at the slope would be perfect---window wall wallpapered. For window treatments---have rod extending past the moldings as much as possible on the sloped sides and beyond the molding 10-8" on the peak side. Hang 2 tailored gray/white panels on each window, and push them to the side with the peak-this will give the illusion that the window is wider than it actually is. Paint the entire wall with the media cabinet and kitchen bar an accent color (shown in pic would be purple). Flip furniture arrangement-sofa on wall where media cab is and vice-versa. Paint the short wall, the window wall in living room, and ceiling the same color-light/medium hue (soft gray as shown in pics). All wood trim and doors semi-gloss white, and the columns 2 shades darker than the wall/ceiling color, (darker and semi-gloss finish so it will conceal little fingerprints from the kids). As for the fireplace, I'd forgo that right now as the space is quite small. Perhaps in the future the FP could be a wall mount on the side next to the media cabinet. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
[houzz=Dining Room][houzz=workfolio] [houzz=Morrison living room/dining room, Interior Design Toronto]
2 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 8:54AM
decoenthusiaste
If there are electrical outlets and TV connections on the shorter wall under the sloped ceiling, I would put the TV on that side, sitting on a low credenza. Then put a sectional sofa on the wall where the TV is now. Would take out the bar and put the dining table under the light fixture. Put a buffet on the low ceiling side. Put all of your tall plants between the two rooms, at the column, to be a natural divider.
1 Like   December 13, 2012 at 9:13AM
PRO
yalama Arts and consultancy
Your problem is quite difficult to advise or suggest since size of the space is difficult to visualize. what u can do is post the interior of the rooms with someone standing in the room. This would atleast give the space ratio to human.......all the best.
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 9:21AM
catharine7
thank you. but in the third picture, where the window and central heating is, there will be a balcony and will be out of the apartment so that we will get more light. Therefore, we need your opinion to leave the bar or not? and because the sloping roof, would it be better truckle or more angular furniture sofa?
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 9:22AM
Natalie
Are there cabinets on the backside of the bar? Could you snap a few more pics, one taken from the kitchen looking into the space, one from the dining looking into the kitchen, and one from the entry door??? Thanks!
2 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 9:44AM
PRO
yalama Arts and consultancy
Remove the bar to get more space and go for low level contemporary sofa. if you feel the space is tight with sofa try traditional Japanese living room style. keep it simple and use lighter color to make the space look bigger. when u creat the balcony make sure your opening is as wide as the balcony....hope this will ignite more idea to ur thoughts.....Chao...
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 9:51AM
PRO
CellularWindowShades.com
It looks like you definitely have some potential in this space. Light filtering top down bottom up honeycomb shades in the kitchen will block the roof view but still allow in light and you can still see the sky. They also offer privacy! If you wanted to keep the drapes or add new ones over for a hint of pattern and color that would be an option. You can use black out Top Down Bottom up in the bedroom as well. I've uploaded some examples below. You can get fabric samples free on our website! http://cellularwindowshades.com/swatches.html
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 9:54AM
bellandromeda
When space in apartment is concern, I read an article for tricks on how to maximize your apartment living. http://www.sandybayapartments.com/blog/2012/11/10/storing-things-efficiently-in-a-small-living-space/ well, it talks about having, well-mounted cabinets, storing ideas and more.
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 9:50PM
Darzy
If you want a fireplace..I propose a wall like this. You can get the gel type fireplace where you burn gel in a can. It's very clean and needs no ventilation. Also, if you need more seating in the kitchen/dining area you can extend the kitchen counter 12 inches easily and add undercounter stools. I'd lose the ficus tree because it's taking up valuable real estate. In small homes, I think low, sleek furniture gives the illusion of more space. I'd put a small sectional on a L where the support column is. Here's a reasonable section and sofa bed from ikea. I like the arc lamp for your space as well.
Media Unit 002890
MÅNSTAD Corner Sofa-Bed with Storage http://www.bludot.com/paramount-sectional-sofa-left-sectional.html?utm_source=Houzz&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=Paramount%20Sectional%20(Left)
1 Like   December 13, 2012 at 10:26PM
patriciarhall
is it just me, or is there an excessive use of "desperately" and "ugently"with design dilemas. Desperate, urgent, really?
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 8:07AM
catharine7
Thank you all, I will send you some pics tomorrow :) And yes, its urgent because we are running out of money and we want it as soon as possible to edit. Is it good enough reason for you?
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 9:15AM