Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Curtains dilemma,
Billie G
December 13, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Need Help with curtains for our house, for our bedroom in particular. The drapery shop suggested I install drapes in a grey colour that is quite a bit darker than the wall colour or light aubergine. In addition to a roman blind across the whole width of the doors and the two windows. Wall is painted in Farrow & Ball Pavilion Grey, the sheets are in grey steal with accents in shades of purple. I...
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Looks like you have top down/bottom up shades. If you like them I'd go with that same option in the gray or aubergine, using the other color on stationery panels to the right and left, that would just cover the window frame and would hang mostly against the wall.
December 13, 2012 at 10:48am     
mmilos
Nice paint color! I'd look for drapery panels in a similar color to your lavender throw pillow.
December 13, 2012 at 10:50am   
Billie G
At the moment there is nothing on our door/window. There is a sort of plastic screen we got from Ikea for some privacy, but otherwise the window is bear unfortunately.
December 13, 2012 at 10:52am   
Billie G
@mmilos, I am afraid that should I go for the lavender colour that I will be stuck with that colour for a long time. It will be very hard to introduce any other colour that would go with it, once I get tired of purple.
December 13, 2012 at 10:54am     
Aggie Purvinska
Beautiful Space! This must be Europe! I think I am leaning towards white sheers and panels like in the photo, but Silver , they can even have a subtle print or pattern..

[houzz=
]
December 13, 2012 at 10:58am     
Aggie Purvinska
I am not crazy about your lampshades, they are just a little too small and a little too dark...
December 13, 2012 at 10:59am     
mmilos
@ Billie, that is true. Drapes are expensive. So if you think you'd tire of the color quickly, I would go with a neutral white or silver like Aggie suggested.
December 13, 2012 at 11:02am     
kah416
I love the dark gray curtain idea! And I agree about not doing any purple...I don't care for it myself. Here's some pretty silvery gray drapes...I just went to Products and typed in "silver gray drapes" Maybe there are others you would like better than these in that category :) love your chevron wood floors!!!

December 13, 2012 at 11:04am     
gardenarian
I rather like the window bare, it is a very pretty window! But - what do you need from your window coverings? Do you want to block light, have more privacy, reduce heat loss/gain, bring more color/texture into the room? Roman blinds AND drapes is overkill - at most, I would have cellular blinds behind the draperies (they are good insulators.) I would recommend either 1) custom cellular blinds OR 2) insulated draperies in a satiny finish. The drapes will cost a lot less.
December 13, 2012 at 11:05am     
kah416
Aldo, here is a velvet option :) These are gorgeous. From Pottery Barn :)

December 13, 2012 at 11:06am     
Billie G
Thanks AggieDesigns. Yes this is Europe, Netherlands to be exact. I love the serenity and peace in the photo you posted. And you are so right about the lampshades. They were never meant to be there but the house is still full of moving boxes (which I have expertly hidden out of picture) and they had to go somewhere. I am looking for some teal colour lamps with cream/taupe shades. I haven't been able to find them yet. I see al of these beautiful things on houzz that companies are glad to ship to you, but unfortunately not to Europe. And if so, it is very expensive.
December 13, 2012 at 11:10am     
Aggie Purvinska
Oh, you will find something beautiful in Holland!!:):):)
December 13, 2012 at 11:13am   
Billie G
Thanks kah416. I do like the curtains you posted, more so velvet one. Just gorgeous! Unfortunately I would not be able to get the Pottery Barn stuff here. The colour is much lighter than the one I looked at here, which is in linen. It is already late here so I cannot post is for you to see. Perhaps tomorrow.
December 13, 2012 at 11:18am     
Billie G
@Gardenarian. I agree with the window being nice. We have the same window in the living room downstairs and I have decided that I don't want it covered. But since this is our bedroom, my husband feels that curtains should be finally installed, just for privacy. I suppose it will also make the room look nicer too. I hope.
December 13, 2012 at 11:21am     
kah416
Oh Billie! I just read you are in Europe! :) Sorry, I didn't realize that. :) Well I can't wait for the pic of your curtains you put up whenever you get the chance to post them. :) Deciding can be such a challenge, can't it? But it's going to be beautiful :)
December 13, 2012 at 11:24am     
Billie G
@Decoenthusiaste. I would have liked the drapes on the sides just for presence, and the lined/blackout roman blind or such to provide darkness in the early mornings. I also looked at some blinds made out of bamboo, but I think they would be more suitable for the conservatory. Would you agree?
December 13, 2012 at 11:26am   
Billie G
thanks kah416, I hope I will eventually put up some curtains in the space. It is over a year since we moved in and I am still no wiser. But looking at all of these beautiful houses and rooms in Houzz and being part of some of the discussions on Houzz makes me want to finally finish the "moving in"!
December 13, 2012 at 11:29am     
PRO
Arbutus Interiors
Keep the top down bottom up shades, go with an of white floor to ceiling, walll to wall drape.

It will pull back onto the wall when open and and give you a full wall of drapes when closed. Nothing is more luxurious than this which is a wonderful feeling in a bedroom.

Generally side drapes overtime will feel like a compromise as you will not have the fullness or the ability to close for extra room darkening and insulation.

I have been doing drapes for over 20 years and my clients that chose a "color" (even what felt like a neutral at the time like grey) always want to change them eventually. Whereas when we did a simple textured off white it is truly timeless.

If you have it in your budget to change every 5-7 years, go crazy with color and pattern if not "keep it simple" (KISS)
December 13, 2012 at 11:35am   
Billie G
Thanks Arbutus. I completely agree with you on full wall drapes. It was my intention to use the drapes that way. I wanted to use two widths of fabric lined on either side. Most probably we will move back to the US in about 5-7 years anyway and then there will be time for another set of curtains.:-)
December 13, 2012 at 11:54am