Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help on updating a brick layered corner fireplace
NG Design
December 13, 2012 in Design Dilemma
need help to update a red brick layered corner fireplace. Any suggestion and approx cost please
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
I would white wash the brick, get a new screen, create a larger mantle, perhaps paint it black?
December 13, 2012 at 1:26pm     
bdennison
Definately bigger mantle and fire new screen. What does the rest of the room look like? The way it's angled, I'd say it is a focal point. Will there be a TV over?
December 13, 2012 at 1:31pm     
judianna20

Prices vary in different locations. You could do something like this and have a finish carpenter cover up most of the brick work.

Or as bobbi suggested, white wash it, new screen that fits the opening (black) and a mirror or oil painting over the mantle.

As it is now, it looks unfinished around the edges of the brick. I would fix that.
December 13, 2012 at 1:43pm     
charleee
Beautiful idea from judyg, I would kill for that room!
December 13, 2012 at 1:54pm     
PRO
NG Design
Thanks all ! I would go for "wash the brick, get a new screen, create a larger mantle" as I know carpentry is expensive
December 13, 2012 at 1:59pm     
judianna20
Agree bobbi. Corner fireplaces and t v are a tough combo and this room shows how to make it work.
December 13, 2012 at 2:03pm     
kah416
I agree on whitewashing the brick! That would be beautiful! :) Easy fix and cost effective! :) I think it would even go nice with the gray mantle that's already there if you so choose to leave it that way :)
December 13, 2012 at 2:50pm     
PRO
1 plus 1 design
Corner fireplaces are usually small and not floor to ceiling brick. If you do not intend on having this fireplace be the focal point of the room then I would try to make it go away. Whitewashing the brick is one approach but may be too informal for the desired look. If you are looking to go a bit more upscale I would find a suitable light colored stone tile and apply it to the bottom half of the fireplace and wallboard and paint the upper portion.
December 13, 2012 at 3:03pm     
step06
You can also use a cultured stone product to reface the fireplace as well. I have done this numerous times on remodels with great success.
December 13, 2012 at 6:02pm   
PRO
All Inclusive Home Remodeling
I agree with 1plus1design if it's not intended to be the focal point make it more subdued.
December 13, 2012 at 6:38pm   
PRO
Island Stone
The relief created by our rustic cladding gives a very modern appeal to fireplaces such as yours.
December 13, 2012 at 7:11pm     
PRO
NG Design
Island stone, I like your design and idea...can u get more some info and prices ? Can I get in Canada ?
December 13, 2012 at 7:25pm   
PRO
Island Stone
Yes, Our product is sold throughout Canada. You can go to our dealer lcoator to find the closest source: http://www.islandstone.com/locator/.
We have a number of additional images of this product as well as alternatives on our website. www.islandstone.com. Good luck with your project
December 13, 2012 at 7:34pm     
PRO
Artful Design Interiors
Island Stone has a beautiful product line. I have specified their materials in several projects lately. Their cladding, tile, etc. always elevate the rooms in which they are installed.
December 13, 2012 at 7:42pm   
Linda Anthony
If you decide to wallboard the top half of the FP, why not have your flat screen TV mounted there which will ease the furniture placement dilemma if you have a TV on one wall and a FP on another... That is the latest design feature I've seen on houzz over and over again! Makes sense to me. You may want to think about a wider FP mantel too.
December 13, 2012 at 8:35pm   
Linda Anthony
don't know how to attach image but if you go to houzz, and type in 'fireplace with TV over' you'll find some great pic ideas. Keep looking until the one comes up with the FP in a corner, just like yours.
December 13, 2012 at 8:43pm   
tbacon
I agree with 1 plus 1 design. I had a brick fireplace that I painted, which is labor intensive, and I was not very pleased with the result. I ended up tearing down the upper half of the brick and covering the lower half with light colored marble. I was happy with the stone covering.
December 13, 2012 at 9:15pm   
Bonnie
@Linda...FYI to paste images, click on your browser bar where it says "http://houzz...etc.." to highlight it. Then on your tool bar click Edit and then click Copy. Then minimize the page you are pasting from and go to your "Design Dilemma" page where you wish to paste ..put cursor in Comment Box and click on your tool bar click Edit and then "Paste"- done!
December 13, 2012 at 10:15pm     
ruthyo
get the brick covered
December 13, 2012 at 10:48pm   
PRO
Paul D'Amico - Period Design
Painting is a quick cheap solution and it would improve your corner fireplace, on the other hand, have you thought about tiling it? There are many examples of tile patterns and tiled fireplaces to be found in my ideabooks. You could insert a mirror in the upper part framed by the tiled surface. You could combine plaster mouldings and tiles... You could turn that fireplace into a wonderful feature for your house. Make an Art statement.
December 14, 2012 at 4:11am   
PRO
And next an example I designed for a fireplace in Art nouveau style with original Art Nouveau tiles stove.
December 14, 2012 at 4:14am   
PRO
Authentic Hardwoods
Hello
I would cover it in stacked stone I think it would cost about $1,000. We also paint the brick two shades lighter than the walls.
Good Luck
Mike
December 14, 2012 at 5:48am   
PRO
Buechel Stone Corp
Yes - this would be a pretty easy project to cover with stone. One thing that i find odd though is the hearthstone. I would consider replacing that if you are doing any work to the rest of the fireplace. Whenever I see nice fireplace projects, the hearth is always cut to size to fit into the corner correctly and flush. You should be able to take a template to get it cut to size.... of course this means you'd have to knock the brick out unless they added the hearth after the brick installation (some masons do this to keep mortar off it).

If you want some ideas with stone as well, here's a couple of areas to get some ideas.

http://pinterest.com/buechelstone/fireplaces-using-stone/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/buechelstone/sets/72157626765433140/

Good Luck!
December 14, 2012 at 7:05am   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi NG Design!
Tiling your fireplace is a great option for modernizing it! We have a wide range of tiles and mosaic patterns to choose from. The image below is a blend that mixes glass and stone tiles, and sells for $28.50/sq ft.
December 14, 2012 at 8:24am   
PRO
PLC Interiors
I agree with the resurfacing ideas. Depending on the style of house, you could do a textured Venetian Plaster with a pigment color of your choosing. For a contemporary look, the plaster should be smoothed out instead of textured.

OR - the area above the mantel could be drywalled and painted and the area below covered with tile or stone. Choose the material based on whether you want to make a statement or have it fade away. If there is a kitchen nearby, look at it's backsplash and countertop (if not outdated) to give you clues.
December 14, 2012 at 8:35am   
PRO
Lind Woodworking
I would clad the "chimney piece" above the mantel in wood or drywall and place a portrait or seasonal wreath above. I think the proportions of the mantle work, the brick looks fine below the mantle. I would avoid larger screens that hide the brick work and maybe consider glass doors or a draw screen. I think simple changes like that would enhance the fireplace and not compete with it. FWIW I find the chair rail distracting, maybe paint it the same color as the wall
December 14, 2012 at 8:53am   
PRO
Loads of ideas on this discussion... I think the environment should be taken into consideration, I'm assuming from the photo that the fireplace is situated in a living room or bedroom - not a kitchen nor a bathroom and that this dwelling is not rustic - seem's urban. Here is the tiling idea...
December 14, 2012 at 9:32am   
lgainsford
I whitewashed one for the cost and time of painting 3 coats, and it looks good, but I should have splurged on resurfacing. More upscale and modern.
December 14, 2012 at 12:52pm   
PRO
Barbra Bright Design
I vote for Island Stone rustic cladding--very clean lines.
December 14, 2012 at 2:12pm   
cyn222
I used sandable plywood and just stained mine. Modern and beautiful with cherry stain. The small stone like the one above is very beautiful as well.
December 15, 2012 at 7:08pm