Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living room colors
Amber Russell
December 13, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Would gray be a bad choice for this room? I REALLY want gray somewhere because it is a great background color for my other favorite colors which are peacock colors. Cerulean , green.. blue .. And so on.
I'm trying really hard to figure out which colors to put where by myself it has been exciting and stressful, some help would be so appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I think the right gray would be awesome, but I would leave one solid wall in the yellow as an accent wall. Paint all the ones that have openings gray.
Loft Living
living room
dakota
December 13, 2012 at 5:24PM     
Manon Floreat
I think a neutral wall color is just the thing you need for the peacock palette of colors you mention. Take a look at some of the greys that have a bit more brown in theme (aka taupe). A few that come to mind are Mega Greige by SW;

Rockport Grey by BM

Shenandoah Taupe BM
December 13, 2012 at 5:35PM     
Becky Kennedy
We are putting shelves in our garage. Can you show me pictures of garage storage ideas?
December 13, 2012 at 5:43PM   
designideas4me
Check out the discussion section . There was a recent conversation about garage organization and lots of ideas.
December 13, 2012 at 5:46PM   
Jayme H.
I agree with Manon/ too dark will not look right with those blue/peacock chairs...You could incorporate an area rug ..A sisal or one that ties in the two colors (gray & peacock), but is not too busy! You can add in the other colors u like in throw pillows that have multiple colors in a pattern.
December 13, 2012 at 7:10PM   
ruthyo
I think that you would like the gray
December 13, 2012 at 10:53PM     
kah416
Hi! Gray walls would be lovely...and a white and gray striped or soft jute area rug in the middle :)
December 13, 2012 at 11:01PM     
Sweta Agrawal
hiii grey is cool for background.......and some thing in white would be great over that for emphashis.........
December 14, 2012 at 12:09AM     
charleee
Something like this? I'm not sure where you plan to put your peacock colors - accents, furniture, accessories. There was an entire ideabook dedicated to working with peacock, maybe you'll find it helpful.
[houzz=Sylvia Martin]
Ideabook: Saturated Color: Peacock Blues
December 14, 2012 at 2:23AM     
PRO
www.newjerseyaccents.com
I think you should start by looking at some fabrics that will help you bridge the gap between your furniture and your desired wall color. Maybe, something like this: http://www.fabric.com/just-arrived-just-arrived-home-decorating-fabric-robert-allen-home-decor-fabrics-robert-allen-pure-petals-greystone.aspx?cm_vc=756b1813-cbc1-43b3-84bd-29889bf8fb7b
December 14, 2012 at 3:21AM     
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Grey would be a great option for your room, the yellow is too much, and accenting in blues/greens would be gorgeous.
December 14, 2012 at 4:27AM     
PRO
Authentic Hardwoods
Hello
I think grey would look great. We use it in contemporary and modern applications all the time
Good Luck
Mike
December 14, 2012 at 5:47AM     
John
Gray is trendy. It is also boring and dull. Gold goes nicely with peacock colors.
December 14, 2012 at 7:58AM   
Amber Russell
Whoa, thanks for all the feedback you guys, very helpful! I love all the ideas you guys have. What's your thoughts on painting ceiling?
December 14, 2012 at 8:14AM   
Natalie
Love the idea of a painted ceiling. The photos I've attached have it painted and it looks great!
December 14, 2012 at 8:21AM     
Amber Russell
I took a few more pics today for different views of the room, wondering what to do with the wall that goes into the kitchen as well
December 14, 2012 at 8:34AM   
PRO
Universal Stretch Ceilings
We would like to suggest you to create an accent wall. You can print anything on a huge piece of canvas!
December 14, 2012 at 8:52AM   
Amber Russell
Ok I've definitely got a lot of deciding buying and doing haha thanks everyone I will post after pictures
December 14, 2012 at 8:59AM   
Natalie
Hi---I see red accents and orange and yellow walls. Commit to one color (gray) for your entire living room, stairwell, and shared kitchen wall. Paint out the orange to a green or blue (peacock) hue and add accessories with the peacock colors in your living room and kitchen... Good Luck! NOTE---the gray color in the background of the photo with the various bottles is almost EXACTLY the color of gray I proposed for you---it will give you an idea of how these colors work together... :)

[houzz=][houzz=][houzz=Aquarius Stemware][houzz=Laguna Pillow][houzz=Contemporary Swirl Blue Art Glass Table Lamp][houzz=Elizabeth Lyons Glass Oceanside Jar Collection][houzz=Many Fans Throw Pillow, Sea]
December 14, 2012 at 9:04AM     
Amber Russell
Thanks I have a post on my kitchen somewhere I have to god I was thinking restoration Hardware's bay laurel color for the walls in the kitchen
December 14, 2012 at 9:31AM     
kah416
Hi amber!! Ooh! I just had a vision for your wall going into your kitchen! What about wainscoting on the bottom, and then an accent color that ties in with the living room color (or just the same color as the living room) and then a row of large picture frames above the wainscoting? I will add pictures of the wainscoting and then some nice colors I found :)
December 14, 2012 at 9:34AM     
kah416
Here's a few more colors I found...just incase you haven't decided on one yet :)
December 14, 2012 at 9:35AM     
Amber Russell
I have to go find it * sorry don't know what happened there
December 14, 2012 at 10:03AM   
Amber Russell
Natalie, thank you I like the ideas. And I REALLY love that lamp you posted.
December 14, 2012 at 10:05AM     
Amber Russell
kah416, I really like the idea of this I have no idea how to do that though.
December 14, 2012 at 10:06AM   
Natalie
Bay Laurel---Perfect!
December 14, 2012 at 10:13AM     
kah416
Amber, you can buy wainscoting, or beadboard, at Menards, or lowes, Home Depot...it's easy to put up. And not expensive. Hubby would probably come in handy for putting it up :)
December 14, 2012 at 10:23AM     
Manon Floreat
Hi, Amber. I was looking at eye candy on Etsy, found these pillows and thought of you. Here's the artist's site if you're interested:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheHomeCentric
December 14, 2012 at 5:37PM     
designideas4me
How about elmo red.. lol...................and keep elmo in the room.
December 15, 2012 at 4:21PM   
Joanna Zygo
You have grey sofa & armchairs, when choosing the new color for your walls try to also create some contrast. If you decide to go for monochrome palette, then use different shades of the same color to add some contrast by that. With children in mind however it is good to add some color. Colorful accessories like those gorgeous pillows above from Manon Floreat post will make it look great...
December 16, 2012 at 3:28PM   
Joanna Zygo
Manon Floreat, these are gorgeous pillows..! Thanks for posting the link, lots of inspiration.
December 16, 2012 at 3:30PM   
Amber Russell
Manon, love those pillows thanks.
And my couch and chairs are all green not gray.
December 18, 2012 at 7:43AM   
Amber Russell
Also, Manon, you posted a photo of a bedroom earlier in the discussion. The walls gray and pillows and rug all colors I had in mind for living room. It's perfect. Is the Rockport the name of that gray or Shenandoah ?
December 18, 2012 at 7:49AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.