Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Tv/media storage solutions??
fifis
December 14, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm looking for a tv/media storage solution to sit under my wall mounted flat screen. Ideally I want to hide cables, and store the digital box and DVD machine. Tv units are slightly bulky in depth for the neat look I want to achieve. Any ideas guys?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
Well, your media storage can't be any less shallow than the DVD player or cable box, right? Unless you have electronic units that stand up instead of laying flat. There are many media cabinets that look more like furniture than just a unit to hold everything, I would look into these. You don't say what your style is but I'm guessing contemporary? Maybe you'll like one of these:

[houzz=Hudson Media Console, White Finish]
[houzz=Bennett Entertainment Console]
[houzz=Hudson Media Console]
1 Like   December 14, 2012 at 1:52AM
fifis
Thanks a million for your response. Yes, I have a classic/contemporary feel to my apartment with soft tones of white, and black accents. Ideally, as you say, I'd like something that doesn't look very media functional, and more like a nice piece of furniture. The suggestions you make are great!
1 Like   December 14, 2012 at 1:59AM
charleee
Well good, I'm glad you like them. I watched a Sarah Richardson show once where they were rebuilding the wall where the tv would sit, and there was a small closet very nearby. They integrated all the wires and cables inside the wall and stored the media components in the small closet, so all you saw was the tv. It was great! Unfortunately, we don't all have the opportunity to rebuild a wall with a closet nearby so these cabinets are the best we can do.
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 2:06AM
fifis
That solution sounds terrific. It is surprising how tricky it can be to safely hide, or conceal, cables and wiring around tv/media areas. Considering we spend our time glaring at this corner of the room, it can let down the aesthetic. The tv being mounted to the wall allows for the optimum height in viewing, and screen quality. So, hopefully I'll find a great solution.
1 Like   December 14, 2012 at 2:13AM
PRO
Dytecture
Here is one example where the storage blends in with the wall while providing some accent lighting.

1 Like   December 14, 2012 at 5:57AM
fifis
The clean lines and neatness in this photo is what I'm looking for, gives me great ideas. Thanks so much.
1 Like   December 14, 2012 at 6:00AM