Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help.... moving into new house. Need to update fireplace
jakesparents1
December 14, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are moving shortly, house is in deperate need of updating. We will be going for a coastal theme, being we are in florida. Wall paper for sure will need to come down,window valance's down, we are planing on refinishing and restaining oak floors. Can u help me with ideas for the fireplace,stain color for floor and ideas for paint for walls.
In desperate need of help!!
Gayle
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mandylou33
For a beachy look a chalk white base would be ideal. Furnishings in soft neutrals and nautical elements. Floors could be stripped and limed, left matte. Fireplace would look much better in a whitewash with neutral surround. Google whitewash brick fireplaces...there are plenty of sites to assist. Walls painted a soft white. A fair bit of the clutter needs to come out of this room to achieve a relaxed beachy vibe. Repaint cupboards a pale neutral white. Some plants (palms) would also look fabulous! Best of luck!!
December 14, 2012 at 4:19am     
charleee
That is a huge room! I would certainly white wash the fireplace, or even paint it off-white if you're going to keep the oak bar. For the floors, don't go darker than a medium brown stain or you'll spend all your time cleaning it.

For coastal colors, think white, blue and beige. Being that you're in Florida I would also add some tropical elements, but probably not famingos. Congratulations on your new home!
December 14, 2012 at 5:06am     
PRO
Welcome Home designs
There sure is a lot going on in this room! My first thought is to remove not just valances but all lighting and all the cabinetry as well. This way your fireplace will become the focal point. As it is now there is a lot of competition. If this is not an option then I would suggest painting everything a soft white - cabinetry, fireplace and walls. This way you have a more harmonious look to your room. For the floors a rich medium brown as suggested, and then the rest is accessories. A soothing beach or water scene on the fireplace would help set the theme for the rest of the room. Enjoy your new home!
December 14, 2012 at 7:55am