Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen Lighting
kimm57
December 14, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are trying to decide about lighting for our remodeled kitchen. We would like to have lights above the island and above the dining room table. We are not sure what we want over either. The two things we have to decide today are placement of recessed lighting and placement of the dining table, so we can center the light above it.

We can't decide if we should center the dining table in front of the french doors or whether we should put it more to the corner.

Also, we aren't sure how many or where to place any can lights. We bought 4 inch ones.

You can't tell in the first picture, but the second one gives you an idea of the workspace we will have on that wall between the kitchen and family area.

Thanks for the input!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
Install recessed lights & eliminate the table chandy. Then, you can move the table here & there. I have this (recommended by a kitchen planner). Area seems too small for table + island hanging lamps. Electrician will help with recessed placement. Probably all around ceiling about 2.5' apart.
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 10:57AM
kimm57
We're not using an electrician- we're using my husband :) so that's why we're making the decision. The overall space is about 350 sq ft, so I can't imagine that'd be too small for an island and dining light but I appreciate the suggestion. I like the idea of the recessed only in the dining area and the ability to move the table around- mostly because we are already a family of 6 and hope to grow, so I may need a bigger table! Thanks.
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 11:50AM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
What type of bulb are you planning to use in the can lights? LED or incandescent? What is the wattage the cans are rated for? This info will help you decide how many and where they get placed. I typically center the cans on the edge of the kitchen countertops (but do not apply this principal to the island) about 2.5-3' apart. As for the lighting over the table (I vote for centering the table), it will depend on the function the table will serve. If you plan on reading the news paper or doing homework/craft projects then 4" cans at the ceiling will not provide adequate light, you need to bring the light down closer to the table. The wonderful thing about chandeliers and pendants that are equal parts functional and decorative.
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Paint the paneling or remove it?
We bought a new house in May, the hot red/coral kitchen...
howellmsue
Wood floors - options?
Can't tell if these hardwood floors absolutely require...
castelljennifer
Are cornice boards out of style?
I have a dining room window that I don't want to put...
Jessica Valind
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
rredpenn
My livingroom needs help! Bay windows opposite fireplace challence...
We bought a house with a big livingroom where we would...
krickelina
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.