Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
fold-down shower seat material
cookgirl
December 14, 2012 in Photo Questions
Shower seat comes in powder coat grey, chrome or nickel plate. Either plate is much more expensive. Which finish did you pick and why? Thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
BY DESIGN Builders
Aloha and thank you for asking about the amazing Serena fold-down shower seat.
We selected the 26"W Powder Coat Grey for this project.
While the 18"W model does have Chrome and Nickel options, the 26"W model is only available in the Power Coat Grey, hence we selected the finish by default.
You are correct that there is a considerable premium for the upgraded finishes. If the design goal is for matching and coordinating finishes and the user will be caring for the Chrome of Nickel by wiping it down after each use, then we would recommend the matching finish. However, most people do not wipe down their fixtures after each use and therefore the Powder Coat Grey would be a more suitable option.
All the best!
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 11:03AM
PRO
Innovate Building Solutions
This looks like a Brazilian walnut seat I've seen before - is that correct?
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 3:14AM
PRO
BY DESIGN Builders
Yes, you are correct!
Ocotea porosa is a official name for the species of plant in the Lauraceae family. It is commonly called Brazilian walnut because its wood resembles that of some walnuts (to which it is not related). The tree is a major commercial timber species in Brazil, used for high-end furniture, mostly as decorative veneers, and as flooring.
The beautiful Brazilian walnut is naturally resistant to moisture, mildew and decay. It is known for it’s considerable strength. It is up to 3 times stronger than teak.
The back slats slide up and out for easy cleaning and maintenance. The bottom boards have removable screws for the same reason.
We (and our client) are very impressed with this shower seat.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 11:22AM
PRO
Innovate Building Solutions
Yes - I agree with you on how impressive this material is - we have used this seat once and I was amazed how dense and durable the wood is - thanks for all of your input on this!
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 4:14AM
cookgirl
By Design Builders: Thanks for addressing the maintenance issue. I've seen photos of the chrome and nickel finishes--both very nice--but there isn't a chance my hubby would ever wipe the metal off after use. We'll stick to the powder coat. Also, this seat supports alot more weight 400+lb. as opposed to 200+lb for most of the other fold down seats I've looked at as the result of what appears to be much better installation procedures.
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 8:52AM
PRO
BY DESIGN Builders
Thank you!
You are correct, the Serena Seat has a higher capacity rating which was also a consideration in this project.
I was prepping the home for owner arrival yesterday and snapped this quick photo to show an update 1 year later...still looking great!
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 10:28AM
cookgirl
Thanks for the photo. We'll be installing 2 of the 18 in. seats side by side in a small 4 ft x4 ft. steam shower. It's good to know the wood is so durable.
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
I need advice for my cabinet..They feel dated and I do not like them.
I feel my kitchen is dated. Do not like the dark...
Please help with my family room design
I have at least 3 dilemmas about this small family...
Need help finding lamp shade for this base from Target
Hello, I LOVE this lamp I found at Target but am unable...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Please help with clock height over server.
Is this clock at a good height above this server?
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.