Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my bedroom
sjs1106
December 14, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am open for any suggestions. I'm not sure I love the layout of the room & maybe the wall color needs to change too. I know I need more pillows and accessories but not sure whether more pink or turquoise?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leigh Durand
if it were my room, I would paint the walls, ceiling and trim, all one colour, the angles are interesting but awkward when you hang drapes. I would use simple Hunter Douglas roller blinds on all the odd shaped windows.
6 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 4:05PM
sjs1106
The large windows are actually sliding doors to a small porch. So roller blinds wouldn't work on those. Would you recommend keeping the drapes just on the sliding door but roller blinds on the side windows? Or just on the windows on the other wall?
1 Like   December 14, 2012 at 4:54PM
wmpj
The pink doesn't seem to fit in with everything else. What is the color of your lampshade? I can't tell if it's white or light blue. I agree with Leigh about painting the ceiling and walls the same color or you could paint the ceiling a shade lighter or dark than the wall color. Are you keeping the drapes? If so, what colors are in them? I think the layout of your room is fine. Have you tried putting the chair on the other side of the room facing out? Some artwork on the walls would look nice too. The armoire in your room is very pretty. It looks great with the wall color.
2 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 5:00PM
judianna20
Take the color of your duvet (gray?) and paint the walls that color. Curtains can go…not the right treatment for those windows The pink chair on the porch…no. If you want some raspberry in the room, just throw the throw over the bed.
8 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 5:01PM
Manon Floreat
I like the pink paired with the soft champagne taupe and even like the gold wall color. It's the lampshades and curtain panels that I would address. I'd think about some taupe curtains to match bed and medium greyish taupe lampshades. An area rug with the taupe, grey and gold in it will marry the major colors - letting the pink be the accent.

Here's a collage with some items to show how they work together. I especially like the curtains for your room!

I love your comforter!
12 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 5:26PM
tetoette
You seem to have a lovely view, with lots of green. Your room is feminine and maybe we could accentuate that as well as tie it with the view, by painting the walls with a soft celadon color (it's a very pale green with some blue and light grey in it). That way the space would become more cheerful yet keep a softness, and the blueish green tint of the walls would allow you to accessorize both with turquoise OR pink.
I actually like what you are trying to do with the curtains (they bring a cosy atmosphere), but maybe their color and texture should be more airy (white gauze or something similar - that way the light gets nicely filtered to the inside, you get privacy and you can also just move them to the side and they'll still give out a feeling of lightness).
4 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 6:00PM
charleee
This is a great window treatment for all your windows, and would go great with your comforter: [houzz=
]
3 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 6:35PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi sjs1106! Love your bed and your view.

I agree w/the others -

-paint all one color or have the ceiling just a shade lighter than the walls
-the color of your duvet is very nice and would make a great wall color
-the windows need new curtains
-the lamp shades could be changed

I also think you could use smaller side tables, a chandelier toward the bottom of the bed & a new chair - a smaller, more contemporary chair that you could fit in the corner across from the bed next to the doors. I love the armoire but I do kind of think it could be moved out of this room to another. Are you set on the armoire?

Here are some pictures I thought you might like:
Emerald Cove Master Bed Room
(disclaimer: we sell a lot of the products in this room but that is not why I am sharing)

Contemporary Bedroom
(Love the wall color and the curtains)

Crystal Cove
(Don't really like the color scheme but the window treatments are interesting)

Hope this helps a little. I'll check back in tomorrow. Good night all.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
4 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 9:21PM
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Hi, when looking at your room, I think it might be better if you paint your walls in lighter colors. In this way, it would be easier for you to match the color of other interior decoration items and the room may even look bigger than really is.

I have some very good curtains to recommend. And here are some photos for your reference.

Also, Cheery Curtains offers curtains in many materials like silk, faux silk, chenille, cotton, linen, etc. Plus, we have many patterns to select beside the solid curtains.

Feel free to contact me at nophie@cheerycurtains.com, and I would be more than glad if I can help.

Kind regards,
Nophie
1 Like   December 14, 2012 at 9:44PM
Natalie
Hi--- I like what you have going on here---interesting. I think you need something to unite the colors---pillows, art, and perhaps an oyster/orchid wall color would be perfect. Hope this is helpful... Good Luck! http://www.etsy.com/listing/95453913/sale-pair-funky-retro-pink-brown-blue?ref=sr_gallery_29&ga_search_query=blue+and+pink+modern+pillow&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all http://www.etsy.com/listing/109118929/the-tipping-point-abstract-painting
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 10:03PM
tetoette
Here is what I was talking about!
Hope you like it :)
12 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 11:20PM
pjtime
Ditto Natalie. I think painting the walls the color of your duvet and changing out the curtains would do wonders. The pinks and blues would then look great then with the rest of the room. I'd move your white chair to another area and dress it with a pillow on it similar to Natalie's or a throw with that shade of blue. Lovely room and really beautiful armoire and bed treatment.

I love your curtains too, but their color seems to jar, and I would have simpler more natural treatments like blinds and gauzy whites.

The room is fighting to be in a golden palette or a silver palette. My favorite things are your bed dressing and armoire, and the gray/silvery/pink and blues work well with those items. Wall color and curtains fight that.

Maybe an area rug and pillows like Natalie suggests would unify them without changing them out and that would be a cheaper way to go, but looking at your pictures over again, I really don't see your drapes working because they are quite strong in color.
2 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 11:52PM
Dina Monir
you need more colors in every thing.....may be wall paper on the back of the bed....paint the ceiling and the rest of the walls with a cool colour ..as light blue....pink curtains..... printed pillows with pink shades on bed and chair.....some pink flowers.....
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 12:41AM
lyn's home
Hi! Your have a very nice room. I think you should start with a change in the drapes and paint. Paint the angled wall with wall paint instead of ceiling paint. This will extend the height of your room. (See attached photo). This photo was taken from a series called Makeover Mondays by Rebecca Robeson Design on You Tube. Each Monday she gives away a free bedroom design. If you like watching videos, it's full of inspiration. Better yet, perhaps you could win a free makeover. Good luck!
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 4:11AM
Karen Irene
agree about the window treatments--would be well worth the time, money and effort to have a pro window treatment person out to deal with the tricky corner windows and door/window issue. that is the main problem in this room. the existing treatments are very awkward. a pro will help you bring some different and complementary texture to the room. i think that the curtain rod over the entire door needs to go...the existing windows don't really allow for a good way to hang soft window treatments.

overall, you have a great space to work with! have fun!!!
1 Like   December 15, 2012 at 4:43AM
sacapuntaslapioz
either the wall and the curtains must go. the rest is fine. they are warm colors wth cool colors on the headboard and rest. use blinds on square windows and a luxurios curtain on the balcony door. I am think velvet or silkin pewter. the walls in the celadon are great. you could also do bright pink.
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 1:59PM
decoenthusiaste
The curtains are just too heavy for the room - very baroque and out of place. I think your room should be a silver jewel box with a bit of muted gray and a pop of your pink.
Teen Damask Theme Bedroom
Miami
The Olivers House
2011 Dream Home Bedroom at Merchandise Mart
3 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 7:24PM
GizV
I like tetoette's wall color selection and Natalie's suggestion of adding pillows with patterns to tie the colors together. Adding art work or narrow shelves with objects d'art on the opposite blank wall would complete the picture.
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 2:24AM
aletabadowski
I would change the headboard for something a little more padded, but not winged, as it is now. I agree that the walls and ceiling should be painted the same color, grey or seafoam green,maybe a slight shade difference. Ditch the curtains - too fussy and heavy compared to the lightness of your bedding-silks or sheers would be better. A collection of small mirrors on a wall would pull in the armoir - it's quite a heavy piece fo a small room. Bring in some wood texture either with flooring or picture/photo frames.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 5:51AM
tootie56
You could go dark on the wall behind the bed...contrast would make your bed be the focal point of the room. Any way to make the blue lamp shade and chair match?...they're just slightly off which throws your eye bouncing between the two.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 6:26AM
katwishing
What stands out the most to me is that the wall color doesn't mesh with the bedding, and the solid-colored rug is taking away from the elegance (a solid-colored rug would be easier to pull off in a modern decor, or in a natural material like jute). If you're planning to keep your bedding, I'd paint the walls a medium grayish brown. I actually like the tan color on your walls, but I don't think it goes well with the gray-toned comforter. Put up some paint swatches and find something that harmonizes better. The paint color doesn't need to be grey, just a color with more grey undertones. The raspberry accents are fine with me. You obviously like that, and whatever you do, you want to keep the elements that make you feel happy when you look at them. I also suggest removing that rug and showing more of your hardwood floors. For a rug, I think an oriental one with a subtle pattern would look better than that solid color (just make sure you stay in the same color family as your bedding--which has more gray tones). I also agree about finding curtains that match better. If you like blue, you could stay with a blue-grey toned oriental rug (but again, show a little more floor). Also, find some artwork to hang over the bed? For a sophisticated look, maybe a set of black and white photographs, or a simple landscape?
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 6:30AM
PRO
the essentials inside
decoenthusiaste - "silver jewel box" - love it!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 8:32AM
calidesign
I would paint the walls the light blue color in your rug, or slightly darker. Move the chair to the corner under the other window, to help balance the bed. Remove the curtains, to be replaced with a lighter colored blind/drape combo. Add patterned pillows in the bedding color/light blue/pink. The wall color will make a huge difference. I think that is the main thing throwing off the room. You have a great start.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 10:27AM
marlaa
Your drapes are too heavy. I would replace them with Plantation shutters. I agree, paint the walls and ceiling the same color. I would consider changing the color of the lamp shades and chair. You need some art work on the wall at the end of the bed.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 11:27AM
artcmom
Your room has very nice architecture. It looks like you have too much furniture or that the scale of the furniture in the room is too large.
2 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 1:17PM
tetoette
Hi again all,
There were so many good comments, I tried to incorporate other suggestions in the images - putting flat blinds / fabric shades in front of the windows behind the bed, and taking advantage of the beautiful arch above the window to install some higher, lighter drapes that frame the view.
4 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 4:02PM
kathysyard
the deeper grey that is in you throw pillows would be wonderful on your walls.with a lighter shade on the ceiling,perhaps larger side lamps, and lovely grey drapes ( maybe with some pattern to them) very simply hung . Your idea of more pillows and pillowcases made of a lovely fabric that made bring in the turquoise you loe,,but I think the shad you are using now is to soft for the raspberry,,,pick a deeper shade if your heart yearns for it:) good luck, you have many wonderful opinions:) here is a color inspiration..
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 4:37PM
joannlxx
I'd suggest wainscoting the wall opposite the bed (which can be paint or wallpaper on the bottom with moulding over it) and hanging art above that. Put track lighting on the ceiling to illuminate this art and any art you put above the bed itself, and to wash the ceiling with light. Put the track lighting about 1/3 or 1/4 of the way up the sloped part of the ceiling from the side opposite the bed.

Then paint away with one or more colors, do as you will with the drapes, etc.

My concern from the pictures would be privacy - do you really want people out in the park to reach for their binoculars to check out what you are doing in bed? Or watching you dress? You do need non-see through curtains or blinds on at least the door to the deck.
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 5:53PM
marlene57
Love the color of the pink throw but it is too small for the bed and should be wide enough to hang over the edge of your mattress. I wonder if you could cut and sew it to make it a bit wider.
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 6:27PM
cicibriri98
it is obvious that you get a lot of light. So if you like that paint the room white! it will enhance the brightness and make the room look bigger. I think you could do turquoise for a more beachy look and pink for a sassy look. but either way find you happy medium and combine them both to be as unique and glamorous as you want :) and i would put the bed where the dresser cabinet is. It makes the room flow a lot better especially if you want the main attraction to be the deck.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 6:50PM
bindyz
I would suggest an updated dresser that is more in line with the colour of the headboard/bed frame. Also the curtains could do with a change to a simpler colour, also to complement the headboard. Perhaps change the style of them to drop down Blinds (Roman blinds I think?).

If you want pink, on the curtains may be a good place to make a statement, but you may want to paint your walls an off-white or grey-white so it stands out whilst looking clean and stylish.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 12:31AM
lauratred
So many great suggestions. I would love to see a piece of art or a sunburst mirror over the bed.
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 4:20AM
nancy612
tetoette handed you a wonderful color palette. For anything large, turquoise, add a pink pillow as in the suggestions. Unfortunately I am not fond of the current curtains. For me, they are too dark and break up any flow in the room. Can you take them down for awhile and still maintain your privacy? If they are new, and you can't change them, add sheerness OVER them, not behind as usual. After those changes, keep in mind my suggestions are for a small, low budget change, THEN tackle your wall color. I am fond of the grey-ish idea, but a light and airy grey.
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 7:11AM
alwaysdesigning
I think your bed needs to stay on that wall based on walkways through the room. I would move into a silver palette however. Paint the walls a light silvery grey or even a silvery pale blue. The lamp shades change out to silver or white. The drapes feel too heavy for the room. Go neutral with them and sheer if you don't need to use them to darken the space. Then your linens can be your pops of color. And you can get several sets and change out the color schemes occasionally of pillows and throws. An accent chair in the corner in a bright white leather. The side tables in a mirrored surface. Some repeating artwork across the bed as the glass will reflect the light. A nice mirror grouping above the bed to also reflect the light. I think your space can be fantastic. Good luck
[houzz=Parkwood Road Residence Master Bedroom]
[houzz=Lake Residence 1]
[houzz=Lake Residence 2]
[houzz="Lavender Gray" Bedroom]
[houzz=Merilane Avenue Residence 2 Bedroom]
[houzz=Savvy Interiors- San Diego]
[houzz=Historic Victorian Bedroom]
[houzz=Wyeth]
[houzz=Pemberton Addition/Renovation]
[houzz=Master Bedroom]
[houzz=Belmont Design Group]
2 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 7:15AM
sjs1106
Thank you all for your help! I am making a few of the suggested changes & will post photos for more help along the way. The curtains can't be sheer as I need them for privacy & to allow me to sleep in on weekends! I love the help! Thank you!
3 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 12:02PM
ashleythompson
If you want to make the room seem to have more light in it change the curtains to a lighter shade and add more of that turquoise accents to the room
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 12:04PM
cillisa
Based on a recent ideabooks on bedroom corners, how about a writing desk in the window corner? It would be a nice place with all the natural light and view...
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 12:11PM
sclawson
I LIKE the raspberry pink with the tan walls and duvet. I'm usually a turquoise lover, but in this case I think it looks out of place. Different windows treatments definitely--woven wood blinds all around? And more or larger pillows on the bed. I like the print of the 2 you have there, just need something else.
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 7:03AM
wfideas
If there is enough space on the wall to reposition the bed 90 degrees anticlockwise then I think this would be ideal, wouldn't it be great to wake up to a beautiful landscape? Then I would look at colours and think about neutral ones that would suit the interior and exterior alike.Good look with whatever you choose.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 3:17PM
susanstein
I also have lots of windows. I treated the smaller side window as a separate window with it's own rod. my long bank I used one long rod however i bought white ikea duck curtains and grouped them
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 3:27PM
sjs1106
I ended up painting a the walls a dark navy. I'm really happy with them & then I moved the furniture a bit. I still want to get new light fixtures for each side of the bed. Any suggestions would be great! As well as some pillow shams or something. I also need help with accessories for over the bed & across from the bed. I have a painting of a hibiscus with colors that will go great with the room but I don't exactly know where to hang it. So right now it's just sitting next to the TV. Thanks everyone for your help so far. I left the drapes but took one panel down off the small window. I haven't found any other drapes I've fallen in love with & I even think with the new color they might work. I'm attaching lots of pictures. Some were during early evening & some were after dark so the colors might look a bit different in each.
3 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 12:10PM
GizV
This look is dramatic and cozy. What a difference the Navy made. Congrats on your choices. The bright pink enameled dressing table is a whimsical touch and is wonderful against the dark wall. I just may get brave next time I paint my bedroom walls and go for a dark color. You have inspired me.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 3:32PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi all!

sjs1106 - The room is really coming along. Thanks so much for posting the update. I love the navy!

Is it possible for you to take 1 more picture so we can see the view from the head of the bed?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 4:34PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Was looking for something else and came across this pic, thought of your room.

Maybe you could build something out around the windows like this.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 5:33PM
PRO
the essentials inside
One more. :) I also like the dressing table in front of the window in this room.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 5:35PM
sjs1106
View from the head of the bed. This picture needs to get hung but haven't figured out where so it just sits by the TV
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 5:40PM
bumbles12
The room is too dark. Remove those drapes! Lighten the room by painting the walls white or neural colours.
The windows are gorgeous! The bed is much too dark, keep the bed in white or neural colours add colour with pillows or throws. You could add silver in there somewhere too.

You could have a beautiful elegant room, but don't add too many colours only two or three.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 6:05PM
bumbles12
And keep the curtains/drapes in a light flowing fabric.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 6:07PM
sjs1106
To bumbles. Not sure which pictures you are looking at but the bed is a natural linen fabric with a champagne comforter. So I have no idea what you are talking about the bed being too dark. Maybe it's just the photos are off on your monitor. The room gets tons of natural light so feeling dark definitely isn't an issue. But if you have suggestions on lamps, or a bedside table for the side of the bed nearest the windows or artwork or a mirror or something for over the bed or across from the bed. I'd love advice. Thanks!
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 6:52PM
sjs1106
To the essentials inside. I love the look of the custom drapery in your picture. I've thought about doing something like that. I'd love to hang my drapes along the ceiling line but then I'm confused on what length drapes would be. I need the drapes to be functional and since the wall with the windows isn't the same height all the way across it has me thrown. Do I go with long drapes & they just puddle when pulled back? Here is a close up of what confuses me with the ceiling. Cause I love that look but just don't know how to do it in my space
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 6:56PM
bumbles12
I like neutral colours of white, grey, creams, silver.
I was looking at your first photo.
You definitely have improved the room.
Just one suggestion: "less is more". Don't over crowd this lovely room. Good luck with it.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 6:57PM
PRO
the essentials inside
What about something like the shades in the picture below? You could do over the sliders and on each window.

Do you need the top window covered?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
2 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 4:12PM
Judit
light blue walls?

0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 4:23PM
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 4:32PM
adm1002
I agree 100% with Manon. Great style board!! The wall color definitely needs to change to a lighter cooler hue neutral.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 4:40PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi sjs1106! Just checking in to see how you are doing with your room.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 4:21PM