powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Laminate countertops without a self backsplash?
jonathan3
December 14, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Using the same material for a small backsplash looks outdated. Is it? It seems like all new installations have the same material from the surface of the counter to the bottom of the cabinets including laminate. Hmmm?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
If I were doing a laminate countertop, I would tile the backsplash the same way I would do it if it were a granite countertop, as is shown in photo below.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
December 14, 2012 at 8:25pm   
leeisonline
The laminate that curves into a backsplash can be thought of as dated. As well the pliability of the laminate to make the curve means the laminate is thinner and easier to wear out.
December 14, 2012 at 10:12pm     
jonathan3
This is probably going to be the only kitchen I design for me. Thanks for the ideas--we are in the process of choosing the countertop and a curved backsplash looks dated. I would love to have the same backsplash from the surface of the counter to the bottom of the cabinets. It's a go--now to choose the backsplash.
December 15, 2012 at 9:25am     
nevadan
Years ago when laminate was in use I used a heavy scrubbable wallpaper for the backsplash. In a very small stripe it looked greast and was very practical! Held up well. Used the same paper for the dining alcove. Loved it.
December 15, 2012 at 10:39am   
emsprater
I'm remodeling my kitchen now as well, and budget ( along with personal preference) dictates formica instead of the higher end products used today. I'm using tile for the back splash just as I would for quartz, concrete, granite or other materials. You can do a wall vinyl, a painted beadboard, you can even use the same formica on the wall. I chose the tile backsplash so I could make the kitchen look more custom. Attached is a layout, the work will not be done for about a month yet. In the picture, you can see a sample in the lower right corner of the formica : Wilsonart HD 'Sedona Spirit'.
December 23, 2012 at 7:14pm   
jonathan3
We, too, chose Wilsonart for its depth of color and texture. Ours is "something" Venito. We actually found a beautiful piece of Cosmos Schist for an island counter which separates the kitchen area from the great room. The dark formica was chosen for its practicality for a food prep space along with a stainless steel sink. We were told that it was not in good taste. We changed our contractor and got what we wanted--a beautiful peninsula serving area and a practical work space! It will be completed in about one month. We have chosen tile, but it is not as elaborate a pattern since we are doing the tile work ourselves.
December 23, 2012 at 9:19pm     
jacksonbeth
Wilsonart offers an extensive line of laminate countertop colors there are so many different ones to choose from. We met with a wonderful team at Web Don, here in Charlotte NC, when we chose our countertops materials. (http://www.web-don.com)
September 3, 2013 at 7:38pm   
More Discussions
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
Furniture arrangement and paint color
Please help! My family room is a rectangle and I cannot...
Help with curb appeal
I need major help with the curb appeal of my house....
Brick wall help!
Hello! I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions...
I feel like something is missing.... Need some help!
I feel feel like this bedroom is missing something!...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.